Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buyer Beware - Ceramic Grillworks of Pittsburgh

Options

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options

there has to be more to the equation, you could order a hundred of those plates cut and have them in shop within a week. there are thousands of shops that would make those

Yep. We have a plasma and any fab shop could handle that. 
    Yeah, but he's obviously having them made overseas (China?) and you can't keep an eye on quality control like you can here and with labor costs here in the U.S, you couldn't make a decent profit.

Btw, I had a nasty experience with this man. I had actually written about it and was about to post it here, but rethought things and deleted my comments.

Only thing I will say, I will never spend another dollar with him.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options

One thing people forget about is consumer protection you get from a credit card.  Lots of times there is a time limit, but that on merchandise that is faulty.  On fraud, you're covered for much longer--especially if you've been in contact with the merchant and they keep delaying.  BBB is kind of useless, but the state's attorney and/or IC3.gov is a good place to start.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I have heard way more good than bad about CGW. Either way, I'm thankful I inserted my coin at the Ceramic Grill Store. Tom provides top notch service and you've probably seen him cook at a few egg fests!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • bbqlearner
    Options

One thing people forget about is consumer protection you get from a credit card.  Lots of times there is a time limit, but that on merchandise that is faulty.  On fraud, you're covered for much longer--especially if you've been in contact with the merchant and they keep delaying.  BBB is kind of useless, but the state's attorney and/or IC3.gov is a good place to start.

Agree. If I were to wait that long, I would move on and do this ^^^^^^^.

@SoCalTim Like! Sometimes, some things are better left unsaid no matter how true it is.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• CowtownEgger
    Options
    cazzy said:

I have heard way more good than bad about CGW. Either way, I'm thankful I inserted my coin at the Ceramic Grill Store. Tom provides top notch service and you've probably seen him cook at a few egg fests!

So much this^^^^^ cant wait to go back
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Ft. Worth, Tx |  Union Pacific Railroad  |  Texas Tech University

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

cazzy said:

So much this^^^^^ cant wait to go back

BIG PLUS ONE
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Tom made me a new wok ring same day and shipped it out when I had a sizing issue. Followed up with me to ensure that the new ring fit. What else can you ask for? CGS is solid.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I ordered my MM woo Monday and is expected to deliver tomorrow. Great service.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options

Tom made me a new wok ring same day and shipped it out when I had a sizing issue. Followed up with me to ensure that the new ring fit. What else can you ask for? CGS is solid.

I am not sure if people still aren't reading or if they are trolling at this point.

CGS is different than Ceramic Grillworks! For the millionth time.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Trolling? This isn't my first comment on this thread. I was showing that warranty issues don't have to take months or years. I bought from CGS because of the good comments have made about Tom and his company. I had a minor issue and HIS level of customer contact and support was top notch. I will always give a shout out for quality customer service as I have been in the commercial service business for 20 years. If that's trolling, then I guess I'm a troll.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    note to self: don't **** over the bge crowd.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • johnkitchens
    Options

+ 1

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Or try to sell em a mini cooper.

Little Rock, AR

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Sorry, late to the party.
    Hate to dogpile, but never did connect with the swing ****. Rusted all the time and the swing part rusted and did not work. And it warped like a soneomawitch.
    Franco offered to take it back, but I did not want to spend a dime more on the POS, declined and threw it under the deck, where it still lays. Like the Titanic.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I'm jumping on the train for the ride

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Dunleav1
    Options
    Franco responded to my email today. We are discussing a resolution.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Or try to sell em a mini cooper.
    Or t-shirts. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Dunleav1 said:
    Franco responded to my email today. We are discussing a resolution.

13 months. Not bad?
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    CERAMIC GRILL STORE > ceramic grill works

Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    apinion said:

Wait, they're not the same?
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Apple and oranges.

Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,535
    Options
    imo, it's no coincidence that the names are similar/confusing.
    canuckland
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    apinion said:

Wait, they're not the same?
    :rofl: 
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Well, Franco has surfaced... Finally!!! A replacement XL 2-tier is on its way. Gotta admit, this developed just in the nick of time - I was a day away from cutting my losses and pulling the trigger on an AR from CGS. Something tells me that I may end up in that direction eventually, but for now, it's "take 2" on the 2-tier.  
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    bweekes said:
    Well, Franco has surfaced... Finally!!! A replacement XL 2-tier is on its way. Gotta admit, this developed just in the nick of time - I was a day away from cutting my losses and pulling the trigger on an AR from CGS. Something tells me that I may end up in that direction eventually, but for now, it's "take 2" on the 2-tier.  
    Good to hear. On another note, how do you like your La Caja China?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I realize we all kinda had fun with this thread, but it seems the problems people had mainly was on the XL. Does anybody have any opinions on the large or mediums?  I was thinking of getting one for my medium ( fake egg). 

Little Rock, AR

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    DMW said:
    bweekes said:
    Good to hear. On another note, how do you like your La Caja China?
    @DMW - The La Caja China does what it was designed to do REALLY REALLY well. When it comes to whole hog, it delivers consistent results every time. And it does it FAST too (~4 hours). The skin crisps up perfectly and the product is always moist. I only do two whole hog cooks a year, but I still think it's worth the relatively cheap price tag. I will say this - temp control is not as refined as it is on the egg, especially during the winter. I burn way more fuel during my annual Christmas cook than I do during my summer cook. Pics can't do it justice, but you can get a sense of the crisp skin in these two shots.

Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Jeez that looks good
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

I realize we all kinda had fun with this thread, but it seems the problems people had mainly was on the XL. Does anybody have any opinions on the large or mediums?  I was thinking of getting one for my medium ( fake egg). 

I had one from when it first came in my large. Used for like 4 or 5 years, not sure how long its been now. I never had rust or warping issues. Mine stayed in the grill and got used 4 to 6 days a week. I did a few pizza but I got a Blackstone so the egg didn't see pizza since the addition of that. Once I get another ceramic grill I will purchase another two tier again.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    stompbox said:
    I am not sure if people still aren't reading or if they are trolling at this point. CGS is different than Ceramic Grillworks! For the millionth time.
    @stompbox say it isn't so!!!! stop the madness!!! I have been hornswaggled..I thought they were the same..and NOW you tell me!

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI