Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: For the geeks!

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited February 2015 in Off Topic
So I changed my patch cables on my network rack...cause they just didn't look pretty enough.

Also, I have been trying to get my AV rack fixed up and I'm a little impressed with my cable management thus far     :D

That's all I got!   :P
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Cables, what cables? I can't see any cables? Oh, they're red on the top pic and blend right in. And I had to look real close in the bottom pic cuz you got cable management all tight.

Nice setup man.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    edited February 2015
    Options
    DMW said:

Cables, what cables? I can't see any cables? Oh, they're red on the top pic and blend right in. And I had to look real close in the bottom pic cuz you got cable management all tight.

Nice setup man.
    Thanks DM!  That's even with my speaker wire too...they're in the mesh.     :D
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Shame to turn it to the wall ... that is a thing of beauty ... nice job.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Drooling over the Denon and the OPPO!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    That's some crazy gear. I remodeled my basement and wired reach room myself with a wire on the outside connecting a bridge to a router.
    Not as fancy but gets the job done and no exposed wires to the 4 outlets downstairs.

Your setup looks nice and fancy though.
    Seattle, WA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken you have an Xbox One and a PS4 tucked in the cabinet too.

Any front photos? Curious how you integrated the sloped PS4 into the front layout.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • cazzy
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

That's some crazy gear. I remodeled my basement and wired reach room myself with a wire on the outside connecting a bridge to a router.
    Not as fancy but gets the job done and no exposed wires to the 4 outlets downstairs.

Your setup looks nice and fancy though.

Thanks man!
  • cazzy
    edited February 2015
    Options

If I'm not mistaken you have an Xbox One and a PS4 tucked in the cabinet too.

Any front photos? Curious how you integrated the sloped PS4 into the front layout.

Top to bottom for you and the other audio/video heads.

Denon x7200w
    Oppo 103D
    Sony 4K Media Server
    -WDTV
    -Kindle Fire TV
    Xbox One
    PS4
    DirecTV Genie (not shown)
    Monster HTPS 7000 (not shown)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Nice setup!

What do you use to showcase the 4K?

What are you running for speakers? My setup is pretty modest but gets the job done. I run a Denon 1713 and HSU's in 5.1. My one major splurge is my Rythmik FV15HP.

My cable management sucks right now. Everytime I tidy things up I wind up wanting to change something.
  • cazzy
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Per your request!

• cazzy
    Options

Nice setup!

What do you use to showcase the 4K?

What are you running for speakers? My setup is pretty modest but gets the job done. I run a Denon 1713 and HSU's in 5.1. My one major splurge is my Rythmik FV15HP.

My cable management sucks right now. Everytime I tidy things up I wind up wanting to change something.

Will be using the Sony VW350ES Projector and the screen is a Stewart StudioTek 130 (115" 16:9).  It will be installed in about 2-3 weeks.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    And now we know why you haven't had time to go get your eggs.  :P
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Very nice and clean. I like the layout a lot. I prefer the open bays to faceplates.

Do you have it in a closet or in your media room?

(sorry for all the question AV is one of my hobbies)
  • cazzy
    Options

Very nice and clean. I like the layout a lot. I prefer the open bays to faceplates.

Do you have it in a closet or in your media room?

It has a tinted door, so not open.  No...this is just the best I'm doing with what the builder classified as a media room.  I paid for sub floor, ceiling and interior wall installation, but it still looks like I'm going to have to do acoustic panels on the wall.  It will be in a good spot though.  When I'm done with everything, i'll take a pic of the layout.

Oh...the speakers.  I'm love horns, so i'm rolling Klipsch.  7.1.2 set up, which is set-up for Dolby Atmos.
  • cazzy
    edited February 2015
    Options
    DMW said:

And now we know why you haven't had time to go get your eggs.  :P

Caught me!     :P
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Glad you are not letting the Denon go to waste and are running Dolby Atmos.

I love horns. The HSUs took a little while to get used to (pretty sure they are still not as bright as the klipsch) but now when I listen in my other rooms things seem a bit muddy.

Are you running ceilings then?

That Sony projector seems really nice. I'm amazed at the specs for the price too. Decent projectors and screens are not cheap.

Is that screen acousticly transparent or are you running speakers to the side and below?
  • cazzy
    Options

Glad you are not letting the Denon go to waste and are running Dolby Atmos.

I love horns. The HSUs took a little while to get used to (pretty sure they are still not as bright as the klipsch) but now when I listen in my other rooms things seem a bit muddy.

Are you running ceilings then?

That Sony projector seems really nice. I'm amazed at the specs for the price too. Decent projectors and screens are not cheap.

Yep...running two and around the reclined feet with the driver angled towards the head. Room too small for 4, but installing 2 more above the front sound stage for Aura 3D could happen down the road if it takes off.
  • cazzy
    edited February 2015
    Options

Is that screen acousticly transparent or are you running speakers to the side and below?

I've been waiting for it for some time. It lacks a dynamic iris, but the blacks are still impressive. Came with the media server, so that was a nice bobus. Also, the Denon Heos Link came with the x7200 so that was cool too. I'm probably going to flip it though...don't think I'm interested.

Side and below. No room because my front wall is inset because of ac ducts. It might make the screen just that much more immersive tho. We will see.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Congrats on the setup. That will be killer when its done!
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    You did what to what? I think your wired to tight =))
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Looks pretty nice for the new techniques, velcro straps and all. As an old central office installer, everything was done with twine and even the knots had to line up. 

Nice gear, sounds like the new digs are coming together for you, enjoy. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    What do you think about my set up? Need my daughters help to switch the time to daylight savings time.image
  • cazzy
    Options
    VHS!! Love it!
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I think @cazzy is a NFG.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Couldn't fit my beta in the cabinet . Have that wired on the side
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Nice job... In a past life; I was in charge of manufacturing for a little company that designed and built control systems and panels for diesel locomotives, I'd have let you work in my shop based on those pics :)
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    hapster said:

Nice job... In a past life; I was in charge of manufacturing for a little company that designed and built control systems and panels for diesel locomotives, I'd have let you work in my shop based on those pics :)

Yep. I stacked towers. Worked forMobilcomm. For a spell
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Went over to the parents place for the game and took a few pictures.

So this is the view walking into the room.

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

We built a little cubby hole in the wall to put the sub in.

Both front speakers sit in front of the screen.  They sit up on a little platform to make them level with the back row.  We had the guy who we bought all of our equipment from come out and calibrate all the speakers to the center point in the room.

We a stadium seating effect for the back row.  We filled the platform with sand to prevent any echoing.  We thought about placing two subs in here instead to give a vibration feeling for explosions, but decided not to.

Here is a view of the equipment rack and DVD/Blue Ray collections.

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bigalsworth
    Options
    Nice looking rig Caz. My next house will have a dedicated theater room, with atmos/auto. Right now my marantz receiver is in for repair so my amp and speakers are sitting around useless.

In the future I think I am going to run bryston speakers with NAD electronics. Probably looking at 3-5 years so I'm hoping 4k, atmos and auro have come into their own, and nrw HDMI spec is in all receivers at that point.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • cazzy
    Options

Went over to the parents place for the game and took a few pictures.

So this is the view walking into the room.

We built a little cubby hole in the wall to put the sub in.

Both front speakers sit in front of the screen.  They sit up on a little platform to make them level with the back row.  We had the guy who we bought all of our equipment from come out and calibrate all the speakers to the center point in the room.

We a stadium seating effect for the back row.  We filled the platform with sand to prevent any echoing.  We thought about placing two subs in here instead to give a vibration feeling for explosions, but decided not to.

Here is a view of the equipment rack and DVD/Blue Ray collections.

That is a great room! Wish my room was that big. Thanks for posting!