Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: For the geeks!

Options
123457»

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    That would be cool @cazzy, but I would just settle for a nice home theater room set up the way I have been dreaming about it for over 20 years.  I have settled for a big screen TV and 5.1 or .2 surround in my living room.  I have most of the equipment, place to put it, I just need the cash to do it.  Thinks for giving me something else to wish for though.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,209
    Options
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Man...only 35k.  Totally doing it!! =)
    Don't forget about the cheap rate of $500 to rent for 24 hours.

That's much better!  I thought it was $5 and I said to myself "that's way too cheap".   :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options

That would be cool @cazzy, but I would just settle for a nice home theater room set up the way I have been dreaming about it for over 20 years.  I have settled for a big screen TV and 5.1 or .2 surround in my living room.  I have most of the equipment, place to put it, I just need the cash to do it.  Thinks for giving me something else to wish for though.
    Oh...I'd never consider that and I'm very happy with my theater room.  I've been dreaming about a dedicated room for 20 years too and while it's not completely what I envisioned, it totally rocks.  The 11.1 (7.1.4) speaker config and visuals are the best I've seen or heard so I couldn't be happier.  
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    I agree @Ozzie_Isaac.  An IMAX home theater would be cool, but you need a tall room to make it work if you want more then one row of seats.  Basically the screen is wall to wall and ceiling to ceiling.  To get the sound quality is a lot of money I bet too.  If I only had 3 million laying around to play with.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Beautiful set up @cazzy

i would assume your house is already wired for cat5 or cat6.  But for what it's worth to anyone out there without a wired home, I use a tech called MoCA and it essentially allows you to network your home without needing to run new wiring.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • cazzy
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Beautiful set up @cazzy

i would assume your house is already wired for cat5 or cat6.  But for what it's worth to anyone out there without a wired home, I use a tech called MoCA and it essentially allows you to network your home without needing to run new wiring.
    Thanks!  Yeah, I have 19 drops throughout the house...including one outside for my Stoker.

I will look that up...always eager to read up on new tech.

• Ladeback69
    Options
    cazzy said:
    johnnyp said:
    Beautiful set up @cazzy

Thanks!  Yeah, I have 19 drops throughout the house...including one outside for my Stoker.

So @cazzy, I take it this is a Ethernet switch?  Pretty cool.  19 Drops!  Who, with Google I can only have 4TV's going at one time and I only have 3 right now tell I get the HT room done.  Very clean compared to mine. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Cool. Long story short on MoCA is that it stands for Media over CoAx. 

Since most homes are already wired with Coax cables in almost every room, it an series of adapters that convert Ethernet to coax (or vice versa). Then by connecting the source moca adapter to the LAN port on your router, you can access a hardwired connection in any room with a coax outlet. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    I just checked MoCA website and Google isn't one they work with yet, but I am getting 400 mb WIFI mostly all over my house right now and about 200 mb on my patio.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Cool. Long story short on MoCA is that it stands for Media over CoAx. 

Since most homes are already wired with Coax cables in almost every room, it an series of adapters that convert Ethernet to coax (or vice versa). Then by connecting the source moca adapter to the LAN port on your router, you can access a hardwired connection in any room with a coax outlet. 
    I network my Tivo Roamio with my Tivo Minis via MoCA. It works great.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    Options
    cazzy said:
    johnnyp said:
    Beautiful set up @cazzy

So @cazzy, I take it this is a Ethernet switch?  Pretty cool.  19 Drops!  Who, with Google I can only have 4TV's going at one time and I only have 3 right now tell I get the HT room done.  Very clean compared to mine. 
    Yes, its a 24 port patch panel and a gigabit switch.  

I use Comcast but my TV is through DirecTV.  I'm using the Genie, which allows 4 concurrent sessions.  All five TVs are hard so that really helps with streaming.  3 of them are smart TVs so they have access to HBO, Netflix, Showtime and Plex applications.  my panansonic is using a FireTV and my media room has a slew of devices that enable streaming.  
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Love the Emotiva gear.  Great value.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat