Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Local Pizza price point poll

We have been visiting Washington state and Oregon this last week. The $4.88 gas, $5.50 small coffee was not surprising to me.

However we ordered a 16” pepperoni at a small well reviewed pizza shop in downtown Tacoma and I just about spit out my ballpark priced ($9) IPA when I saw the pie was $36!

Fast forward a few days later and the ladies of a family get together went to pick up two large pies from a brew pub… $80. 
  I travel heavy with cash and I will say the PNW burns $50s like they are $20s but $80 for two pizzas is still hard to swallow, if you will. I know I’m sounding like my dad here but I am curious what you guys pay for a large whatever pizza in your area.

I will start, my favorite chain in Columbus is Dewey’s Pizza and you can get any pie on their menu for $21.45 or less. A local privately owned pizza shop in town is $12.50 for a pepperoni.
South of Columbus, Ohio.

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,671
    My favorite chain in Mississippi is Lost Pizza. Small chain just inside the state but known for quality versus economy. They have several named custom pizzas ranging from the Happy Hippie (vegetarian) at $22 for a large to the Kujo(all the meats) at $25for a large. You can custom order pizzas with just what you want on it but I didn’t see a completed price for a large pepperoni. Decreasing in price places are Marco’s, Pappa John’s, Pizza Hut, Dominos, Little Caesar’s which also decrease in quality.  There are a couple of fancy wood fired pizza places downtown but they are mainly for bar crawling.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,855
    A large gourmet pie in New Orleans is going to run you in the neighborhood of $25 pre tax and tip.  By the time you have a drink and tip (do you people do delivery for a real pizza?), it's $40 for a decent non-chain pizza.  A local joint has half-price Wednesdays, which is nice. 

Still worth it, just less often.
    NOLA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,279
    A large pie at our go-to in Durham is $22.50
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,097
    Similar, $20-25 for a 12" neopolitan here. I've never seen a $40 large American-style pepperoni , maybe $30-$35?

But $40 is cheap compared to buying a million dollar home in Hays, KS for just 52 pizzas you have to cook yourself.
    Not a felon
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,837
    Wages are a lot higher in Washington State vs Columbus OH. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,292
    40 bucks is a one and done. 15 at the place I go for a north end style 18 inch pepperoni and 5.50 for half a one topping 18 inch at the local supermarket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,523
    30 bucks here. I ordered 2 large pies and two orders of breadsticks with 10 wings last weekend and it was $100. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, Med BGE, BGE Chiminea, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• nealmgb
    nealmgb Posts: 76
    Uncle Leo’s XL 16” deluxe $23.00 last night.
    LBGE St. Louis MO
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,031
    I just checked the online price of a pie at our favorite local joint.  It's $26.20 for a large with 3 toppings like we like it.  However, we like it so much that if it was $50 and Pizza Hut was $4.99, we'd still go with the local place...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,710
    Below for a 15" pie: (Also offer 10", 20", 30" and 12x12" square sizes.)
    Meat lovers-$35
    Veggie- $27
    Margherita-$25

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Paolo
    Paolo Posts: 42
    This is the current situation here in Italy:
    The typical pizza you get in a Pizzeria is about 12’’ (made out of 200 to 280 grams of dough). What many tourists don’t realize is that you are supposed to eat one full pizza per person..4 people 4 pizzas, 10 people 10 pizzas. That’s the way we do it generally, except for specific types of pizza that come in larger formats.
    This said, price for a basic margherita is around 7/8 $ here in the north and can be even cheaper, around 6 $ or less, in the south (like in Naples where you get the best pizza). More elaborate pizzas can reach as high as 15 $ depending on the ingredients
  • fishlessman
    scratch that, its 17.95 for an 18 inch north end/nyc pie now. wonder when it makes sense to just bite the bullet and get a pizza oven.....
    fukahwee maine

• Corv
    Corv Posts: 422
    In Boulder, CO, a 16" pepperoni and sausage and pepper pizza lists for $31.35, and a 20" one for $38.35. Most people just buy a slice or two. But Boulder is a college town so they certainly sell whole ones.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,123
    @DoubleEgger there is probably some
    truth to that but median Incomes for Columbus as of 22’ is $76,500, Tacoma $79,085, and Vancouver Wa $73,626. 

For clarification the classic pepperoni in Tacoma was $34

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    edited July 31
    truth to that but median Incomes for Columbus as of 22’ is $76,500, Tacoma $79,085, and Vancouver Wa $73,626. 

The three blend cheese is the labor driver. You’ve seen the video… 
  • alaskanassasin
    Wow @paola those are hard to beat prices and where it all started too, thanks for sharing 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Paolo
    Paolo Posts: 42
    Wow @paola those are hard to beat prices and where it all started too, thanks for sharing 
    Yes they are compared to US, but remember…4 people 4 pizzas, no more, no less. 
    So I end up spending 30-40 $ for my usual Friday evening family pizza take away
  • JohnInCarolina
    I do hope you’re getting a chance to do some fun things while you’re out there, beyond discovering the price of pizza in Tacoma!  =)
  • Legume
    I still want to know where you can get a decent IPA at a ballpark for $9. Is that minor league ball?
    Not a felon
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,656

Well the menu font is what demands those prices....very high brow.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,656
    A 16" three topping is $23.00 here.  But with 7 kids all eating like Joey Chestnut, those emails from my mortgage company telling me that my house is a bank and that I should get the money I DESERVE are starting to make more sense. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Legume
    How big is a large?
    Not a felon
  • DoubleEgger
    Legume said:
    How big is a large?
    It’s on the menu. 
  • Legume
    Legume said:
    How big is a large?
    It’s on the menu. 
    Yeah, I meant across the board, I'm not sure it's standardized much at all.
    Not a felon
  • alaskanassasin
    I do hope you’re getting a chance to do some fun things while you’re out there, beyond discovering the price of pizza in Tacoma!  =)
    As you would expect, plus a cruise up the Oregon coast.  We took mom to her childhood home and as luck would have it the tenants were moving out so they let us walk through. That was cool.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    As you would expect, plus a cruise up the Oregon coast.  We took mom to her childhood home and as luck would have it the tenants were moving out so they let us walk through. That was cool.
    Nice!  I hope you see some sun? The Oregon coast is really pretty spectacular, regardless.
  • fishlessman
    19 inch large 3 toppings. veggie and a garlic sliced tomato with crumbled feta

fukahwee maine

• Legume
    lol, sell by date

supermarket pizza has entered the chat
    Not a felon
  • JohnInCarolina
    19 inch large 3 toppings. veggie and a garlic sliced tomato with crumbled feta

I would definitely recommend investing in a pizza oven, lol.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,786
    $26 avg price for a 14” pie with a plethora of toppings. Local shops. Dominoes still $10 for a lg. my kids love that crap lol