Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket cook

Options
Wife bought a 14# Brisket yesterday for me to cook for Father’s Day . I’ve never done one, no matter how many times she’s asked about getting one, I just never wanted to spend the money to ruin a good piece of meat.
I’ll start with a thank you to lousubcap@ for the detailed and very informative message on brisket cooks.
We cut about 3# of the fat cap off to thin it out a little.( didn’t get any pre cook pictures)
Spiced it with salt and pepper with dried onion flakes. Heated the XL up to 250*, took longer than we wanted, as all recommendations were for an hour a pound, but wound up putting it on around 2100 last night.
Indirect on the grate with only 1 chunk of Pecan wood buried half way in the lump.
Didnt use a drip pan , so will be paying hell to clean the plate today. Stuck the Thermpro probes in and let it cook.
Temp stayed at 250* for the next few hours, until I fell asleep around midnight .
Was awakened at 0330 with the alarm going off. IT was at 185* and made the choice not to wrap. Reset alarm for 200* and layed back down for another 45 mins. 
Pulled it off and put on a baking sheet, covered in foil loosely and put it in the oven, with oven off. 

Went back to bed until 0700, fed the chickens , dogs, cats, turkeys and donkeys.
So at about 0830 , my wife asked how long I was going to wait to check how it turned out.
The answer is, turned out amazing. Moist, tender, and great flavor.

Comments