Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad News for a Top BBQ Joint in Austin (Valentina's)

Options
Hate to see this:

https://www.chron.com/food/article/barbecue-austin-valentinas-closed-texas-19424664.php

Their breakfast taco, the Real Deal Holyfield, is one of the best things I've ever had.  Sounds to me like they just got into a deep hole and kept digging.  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,048
    Options
    Ouch. Not a good look. That's too bad. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,842
    Options
    2.3 million is a huge hole to dig out of for a small business and the restaurant business has places closing all over the place
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Hook_emHornsfan_74 Posts: 1,359
    Options
    From some friends I have who live in Buda, they said that they are going to reopen, just under a managing company.  They can obviously cook, but going from 600sq ft. to 6000sq ft was a little more than they could handle.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,640
    Options
    They should temporarily rename the Real Deal Holyfield the Riddick Bowe.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,245
    Options
    600sq ft or 6,000sq ft, a thief is a thief. If the allegations are true, they deserve everything that’s coming their way. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,079
    Options
    600sq ft or 6,000sq ft, a thief is a thief. If the allegations are true, they deserve everything that’s coming their way. 
    Yeah, stealing from high school kids is not a good look no matter what. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,554
    Options
    From some friends I have who live in Buda, they said that they are going to reopen, just under a managing company.  They can obviously cook, but going from 600sq ft. to 6000sq ft was a little more than they could handle.  
    I had read that as well but time will tell.  They are in quite a trick-sack.  Reportedly their service has gone way down.
    I was there in October 2023 and did not have any issues.  The RDH was a great as ever.  
    I'll be there this coming October as well.  Hopefully enjoying the RDH.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,640
    Options
    6000 may have worked if they were in Austin, but they're a few exits too far now.  Buda is like another country for most folks in Austin, definitely anyone north of the river.  They'd have to be in the Cabelas parking lot for that to work.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,220
    edited May 2
    Options
    Being involved with a few business ventures, I understand their pain (not the stealing from high school kids, or anybody for that matter … hopefully that is a misunderstanding). Scaling businesses is very hard.  YouTube, coaches, classes, books, etc make it look easy, but many times it is not.  Doing it in the notoriously fickle and cut throat restaurant industry has to be darn near impossible.  It seems like revenue grows linearly while expenses grow exponentially.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    Options
    someone up top was skimming, cash, extra rent for the building, gas cards, atm, trips, pocketing the tax dollars etc. no way does steeling from hs kids add up to 2.3 million. i doubt you could steel 50k in several years with part time hs kids =)
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,220
    Options
    someone up top was skimming, cash, extra rent for the building, gas cards, atm, trips, pocketing the tax dollars etc. no way does steeling from hs kids add up to 2.3 million. i doubt you could steel 50k in several years with part time hs kids =)
    Did they steal $2.3M or are they in debt to contractors and government for $2.3M?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Did they steal $2.3M or are they in debt to contractors and government for $2.3M?
    In these times contractors don't play bank, it's money down then partial payments, when the project is done they maybe owed ten percent. If the govt is owed, even the dog is tagged by the irs. I had a book keeper skimming for a few years, the irs practically lived with me til I got the money back from her husband's pension plan, she owed about 250k, only about 50k was social security money. Getting the money back was bluff and pure luck, that usually doesn't happen. Accountants are no help, they just assume the owners are taking it and tell you to slow down if they can't hide it

It's retty hard to not see the losses on the profitt loss sheet happening over a 3 year period with 2.3 mil missing in a small business
    fukahwee maine

• TheFishWhisperer
    Options
    In these times contractors don't play bank, it's money down then partial payments, when the project is done they maybe owed ten percent. If the govt is owed, even the dog is tagged by the irs. I had a book keeper skimming for a few years, the irs practically lived with me til I got the money back from her husband's pension plan, she owed about 250k, only about 50k was social security money. Getting the money back was bluff and pure luck, that usually doesn't happen. Accountants are no help, they just assume the owners are taking it and tell you to slow down if they can't hide it

It's retty hard to not see the losses on the profitt loss sheet happening over a 3 year period with 2.3 mil missing in a small business

• fishlessman
    Options

And he whisperers.....and stutterers
    fukahwee maine

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,987
    Options
    Looks like their investors are taking over the business and making them operate it to pay back the debt. Savage haha. Will be interesting to see how that plays out. $2.3M is many years worth of Real Deal Holyfield tacos. And if they can’t get their service levels significantly up, they won’t last 6 months. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,079
    Options
    < looks for flights to Austin > 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,612
    Options
    or Bre-X helicopter
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,548
    edited May 4
    Options
    Ewps, wrong forum...  :blush:  

"I hear you're free on Wednesdays..."    - JB  

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,554
    Options
    6 months gets thru October.  I may have one last chance for the RDH-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Howdy1
    Howdy1 Posts: 6
    Options
    Kind of par for the course there, they can cook but management of a restaurant is\was not there thing.  Only went there a couple of times as even when there was no line, it took forever to get your food. 

Hopefully the management company can teach them how to run a restaurant to augment their awesome cooking skills!   Places like Franklins and Terry Blacks have always amazed me at how they can maintain quality day after day.  and Terry Blacks...man, the amount of meat and people they move through their restaurant everyday is just staggering.  
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,468
    Options
    Never been to Buda….never had a RDH…..being in the food industry and servicing a lot of restaurants, very few know how to properly manage their businesses. Busiest places in town can’t pay their bills or their staff. It takes a well oiled machine with an extremely refined checks and balances system to make it work when scaling. That’s why so many fail.