Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,246
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations. The “soft” is just basic nomenclature for the fabric with in this case is Super 180s

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/wool-super-numbers-explained/
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,617
    Options
    Nice scores @GrateEggspectations. Did you visit a sketchy lady's basement for those boots?  ;)
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,223
    Options

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,676
    Options

Options
    I’ve never liked the idea of a “subscription” fee for software, like Adobe Photoshop, and years ago I chose Affinity Photo for my own photo editing, under $100 and they’ve updated the software for free for many years.  A year ago or so Affinity updated to 2.0, again under $100; 1.whatever was still working fine for me but I intended to upgrade soon.  
    A couple weeks ago I learned an Australian company called Canva bought out Affinity, and the news blew up a bit on both my photo and Mac forums.  Canva has a few other software products, but they’re ALL subscription-model; I did receive not one but two direct emails from Canva/Affinity that they would remain “lifetime license”, but I’ve heard that song-n-dance before, especially after a corporate or private-equity firm (A term I’m really learning to hate) takeover.  

Bla-bla-bla.  So, what’d I buy today?  I purchased the Affinity 2.0 lifetime license, not just for Affinity Photo ($49 as a prior customer) but the whole suite of Photo, Publisher, and Designer, plus their iPad equivalents, for $98.  I doubt that Canva will disable my software once they (probably) go to licensing, but updates may cease in a few years, that’s my gamble.  At that point, I may switch to Gimp, Pixelmator Pro, or be dead and/or blind, so it won’t matter anymore.  

I was playing with Sketchup for project drawings, but since Affinity Designer follows the same design flow as Aff Photo, I’ll probably concentrate on that instead.  And tonight I was flabbergasted at how quickly the new Mac “M” silicon chips decompressed/installed the updates, especially since two of them weren’t on my ‘puters before, less than ten seconds apiece!    

"I hear you're free on Wednesdays..."    - JB  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,552
    edited April 2
    Options
    paqman said:

…and here I am bitchin’ about <$100 software…. :wink:”  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Botch said:
    I’ve never liked the idea of a “subscription” fee for software, like Adobe Photoshop, and years ago I chose Affinity Photo for my own photo editing, under $100 and they’ve updated the software for free for many years.  A year ago or so Affinity updated to 2.0, again under $100; 1.whatever was still working fine for me but I intended to upgrade soon.  
    A couple weeks ago I learned an Australian company called Canva bought out Affinity, and the news blew up a bit on both my photo and Mac forums.  Canva has a few other software products, but they’re ALL subscription-model; I did receive not one but two direct emails from Canva/Affinity that they would remain “lifetime license”, but I’ve heard that song-n-dance before, especially after a corporate or private-equity firm (A term I’m really learning to hate) takeover.  

Bla-bla-bla.  So, what’d I buy today?  I purchased the Affinity 2.0 lifetime license, not just for Affinity Photo ($49 as a prior customer) but the whole suite of Photo, Publisher, and Designer, plus their iPad equivalents, for $98.  I doubt that Canva will disable my software once they (probably) go to licensing, but updates may cease in a few years, that’s my gamble.  At that point, I may switch to Gimp, Pixelmator Pro, or be dead and/or blind, so it won’t matter anymore.  

I was playing with Sketchup for project drawings, but since Affinity Designer follows the same design flow as Aff Photo, I’ll probably concentrate on that instead.  And tonight I was flabbergasted at how quickly the new Mac “M” silicon chips decompressed/installed the updates, especially since two of them weren’t on my ‘puters before, less than ten seconds apiece!    
    I have a subscription to Adobe Creative Suite and Canva.  It pains me because for years I have “owned” my software.

I turned my nose up at Canva for a long time, but have recently realized how quick and easy it is to design business cards, flyers, etc on it.  Much faster than on Illustrator.  I still use Illustrator and Photoshop for actual photo edits, logo design, etc.  I realized they both have their place in my workflow.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,371
    Options
    paqman said:

Nice! I didn't know they had released the abridged version of the full Modernist Bread suite.

Ordered.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

• Botch
    edited April 4
    Options
    Inflation has been on the mind of us all for awhile, not me so much, but this week some things hit home.
    Monday I went to the mall to get a watch battery replaced. $42. WTFF???
    Tuesday I got my taxes done, and this year I timed her: total time, eleven minutes. $430. WTFF???
    Tuesday night I paid two bills, plus wanted to write out two checks to the tax people, but I ran out of checks.
    Today (Wed) I went to the credit union to order more checks: two boxes of 80 checks, $57. WTFF???

Tomorrow, I’m staying in bed; won’t even open the curtains.

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 949
    Options
    I think I ate a frugal an hour ago and if it doesn't kick in soon I'm going to eat another one. 😁

• HeavyG
    Options
    Botch said:
    Inflation has been on the mind of us all for awhile, not me so much, but this week some things hit home.
    Tuesday I got my taxes done, and this year I timed her: total time, eleven minutes. $430. WTFF???
    Tuesday night I paid two bills, plus wanted to write out two checks to the tax people, but I ran out of checks.
    Today (Wed) I went to the credit union to order more checks: two boxes of 80 checks, $57. WTFF???

Costco will sell you 250 checks (basic blue safety checks) for $16.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,715
    Options
    @Botch you have to be willing to walk away these days.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,842
    Options
    @Botch you have to be willing to walk away these days.

gas prices are up about 50/60 percent in the last 4 years so definitely walk away....... =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

60 dollar membership fee, 16 dollars for the checks, do they sell those online or should  drive the hour to get there =)
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,568
    Options
    @Botch- Don't know about Utah but you can make an electronic ACH payment from your checking account to the IRS thus eliminating the paper.  Linked here: https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay
    He!! we can even use a similar deal here in KY for the state taxes.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Botch said:

dont forget to tip best service ever.......before you get your burger and fast food service.....they are watching you :o

The Dark Pattern of Tipping Culture  by Eric Chung  UX Planet

fukahwee maine

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,473
    Options
    I wish every business didn’t have to pay their employees like restaurants do. Better, I wish they’d go up $3-4 per entree so I’m not tipping. I never tip fast food. Nor coffee
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    Oh, buying braces for my oldest. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,568
    Options
    @ColbyLang - I am convinced that even with "perfect" teeth, braces are a fashion statement these days and have been for quite a while.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @ColbyLang - I am convinced that even with "perfect" teeth, braces are a fashion statement these days and have been for quite a while.  

Them beach houses and country club memberships won’t pay for themselves Frank lol
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

60 dollar membership fee, 16 dollars for the checks, do they sell those online or should  drive the hour to get there =)
    Lots of vendors sell checks online for not too much more than Costco's deal. Walmart sells checks - $12/box of 120 with free shipping so you don't have to burn all that expensive gas going to pick them up.

• Botch
    edited April 5
    Options
    I did not know you could buy "generic" checks and use them with any bank/CU; thanks for the info, guys.  I normally pay monthly bills online, use very few checks.  The last two boxes lasted me several years, so these may be the last ones I buy anyway.  

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,676
    Options
    Botch said:

I missed the sale 🤦‍♂️

I read their blog post from a couple of years ago, which indicated the sale would end on May 31st… Didn’t realize I was reading an old blog post.  Oh well, I’ll stick to Gimp.

Options
    I'm not big into fahncy iPhone cases, but when I saw this one had to order it:

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Botch said:
    I'm not big into fahncy iPhone cases, but when I saw this one had to order it:

Did you get the originals?

https://youtu.be/byfWscC87Vg?si=IHeqRvdcJ8ZdIK7f
  • Botch
    Options
    Ozzie_Isaac said:
    Did you get the originals?
    I did.  But only thru sheer chance.   :o

Thanks for posting that, Ozzie.  I mentioned this item on facebook, and one "friend" in Chicago accused me of supporting "billionaire corporate thieves that rip off small businesses" and I didn't know WTF he was talking about (no backup information for me).  It was only by sheer luck that I happened to order from the originator (friend in Chicago is about to get some blasting, and I'll point out to him that I've already left amazoid Prime and siriusXM for their "billionaire corporate thieves" tactics).    

• fishlessman
    Options
    .new tilt trim assembly for the old 1991 mercury
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    .new tilt trim assembly for the old 1991 mercury
    https://youtu.be/3T3MgIRUwj0?si=b658v3u6vUQEgpa-
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 11
    Options