Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Something Moroccan-ish

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,733
edited July 2023 in EggHead Forum
Started with a plan to try a simpler sheetpan- style cook in the big kitchen clock, but things sort of snowballed, and got complicated :)

Started out by soaking chickpeas overnight, then boiling them with some baking soda to deskin them. Ottolenghi uses this hack to make super creamy hummus. 

Added cumin, turmeric, ginger, tomatoes from our garden, and chopped spinach to the mix. 

Marinated chix in ras-el-hanout, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, EVOO overnight. Set it all up in the LBGE, OTP-style above the pot of the chickpeas mix. Added a chopped fennel bulb to get roasty, too.

Seared the chix for a bit at the end. 

Made a pilaf in the IP with babrberries, basmati rice, cinnamon, black and green cardamom, safffron, cinnamon.

Turned out well! Very flavorful, and different from the usual Indian stuff we cook. The chickpeas were super tender, almost creamy, and incorporated well into the sauce. 

Thanks for looking. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    wow, wow, wow.  Love this.

Also, what is a barberry?
    NOLA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,509
    Options
    I'm tired just looking at that project.  But as is always the case, nailed it and the plate looks great.  Mad skills but that's the norm. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    Options
    You’re Morrocan my world, Ashish. 

I’ll see myself out. 
    😄

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,863
    Options
    Oh my.

Of course, anybody who is surprised by "...but things sort of snowballed, and got complicated" doesn't know you.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,793
    Options
    Beautiful!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    wow, wow, wow.  Love this.

Also, what is a barberry?
    Thanks. I’ve used them for Iranian pilafs before. Kind of like raisins, but more tart than raisins. I love their color, too. 

See the “Culinary uses” section in the wiki link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berberis

The Brussels sprouts thing looks like it would be good. 

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    That is a WOW!
    Don'tcha just love it when things get complicated???
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,593
    Options
    Absolutely Spectacular!!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,052
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 948
    Options
    I can't eat brussel sprouts. I should refine that, I can eat them but there's some kind of bumapalooza thing that happens after about fifteen minutes. I still love them once in a while, but I now know to enjoy them the most, I need to eat them really close to my pressure toilet. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,583
    Options
    Wish it was a simpler sheetpan so I can copy, this is way over my head  :)
    canuckland
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,066
    Options
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,101
    Options
    Nice, very nice!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Wow…always soooo creative!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    That’s a great lookin feast right there. Cheers
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    Options
    Wish it was a simpler sheetpan so I can copy, this is way over my head  :)
    This is the recipe I had come across, and it looked good. Don't have her book, so just winged it based on the video. I subbed ras-el-hanout for the baharat.

I honestly wanted it to be a simpler cook, but ended up with some time to kill later in the day.  

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    your cooks you post are incredible. I would like to be in your kitchen when you decide to make a cheese sandwich, and just see where that project could possibly go, the direction and the depth.

Again, my mind is blown, from the cook you have posted, especially those which I have had and those I wish I could. You are the master.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,325
    Options
    I stopped at an Indian restaurant last week, first time in about 10 years. No idea about the particular variety of Indian cuisine though they had a wide variety of vegetarian dishes and they state that all meats were halal. I had potato and pea samosas and lamb Josh Rogan with garlic naan. The stand out were the samosas with a green sauce that looked like a chimmichuri but wasn't one. There was also a red/brown sauce that was a bit too sweet for my taste. The Josh Rogan was a bit too greasy for me in the last few years. I will go back and try the okra with paneer next time I am in that town. Sorry for the hijack of your thread but you are my sole source on cooking from that sub continent.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Dude. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    your cooks you post are incredible. I would like to be in your kitchen when you decide to make a cheese sandwich, and just see where that project could possibly go, the direction and the depth.

Again, my mind is blown, from the cook you have posted, especially those which I have had and those I wish I could. You are the master.
    You're far too kind, sir.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,637
    Options
    Soooo, just to be clear, the only garlic was in the chicken marinade?  

You sure about that?
  • caliking
    Options
    I stopped at an Indian restaurant last week, first time in about 10 years. No idea about the particular variety of Indian cuisine though they had a wide variety of vegetarian dishes and they state that all meats were halal. I had potato and pea samosas and lamb Josh Rogan with garlic naan. The stand out were the samosas with a green sauce that looked like a chimmichuri but wasn't one. There was also a red/brown sauce that was a bit too sweet for my taste. The Josh Rogan was a bit too greasy for me in the last few years. I will go back and try the okra with paneer next time I am in that town. Sorry for the hijack of your thread but you are my sole source on cooking from that sub continent.
    No worries.

Samosas are good stuff. Very much like an empanada, with all kinds of variations. The potato and peas type are usually the most common, but keema (ground meat) ones are also commonly found on menus. 

The green sauce should be cilantro +/- mint chutney. The reddish one should be tamarind chutney. Restaurant versions tend to be watered down to a degree, and not as tasty as what you can make it home, or even buy from an Indian grocery. 

Rogan Josh and naan is a winning combo :) I love paneer in any form... except when its next to okra!