Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Brisket Question

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,212
I'm looking to do a brisket for the 4th of July. I'm a Sam's Club member and finding a Prime brisket is slim to none. They'll have Choice grade but pretty rare to find Prime available. I haven't been in a Costco for a few years. I remember reading that Costco was only carrying Choice a year or two ago during the pandemic. Has this since changed? What is the chance I'll find a Prime brisket if I swing in a Costco this afternoon? Anyone bought a Prime brisket from Costco in the last few months?  Thanks
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,444
    I didn't buy one, but my Costco (MD) had 4 or 5 prime briskets last time I was there and checking out the meat case a couple of weeks ago.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,554
    Here in flyover country Costco is back to carrying prime grade briskets.  However, their butchering source has been doing a poor job of the initial trim out.  Weights are generally in the 15-19lb range with lots of hard fat. 
    If you can find a good choice grade in the weight range you want I would go with that.  And you can always go to Costco and if you find one there, then just freeze one of 'em. 
    Easy for me to spend your $$. 
    Happy hunting. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,764
    Prime only as far as briskets in my store in Louisiana 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,189
    We have a case full of prime @$3.99/lb.

You can go check before you sign up too.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• WeberWho

That's a great point. In the past I've had both memberships to Costco and Sam's Club. We are just a few miles down the road from Sam's Club. We found ourselves at Sam's Club 95% of the time with the Sam's location and the time allotted in our day. My parents are a few miles away from a Costco. So the few times I do need something from I'll just ask to borrow their membership but it has been a few years now. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    WeberWho said:

That's a great point. In the past I've had both memberships to Costco and Sam's Club. We are just a few miles down the road from Sam's Club. We found ourselves at Sam's Club 95% of the time with the Sam's location and the time allotted in our day. My parents are a few miles away from a Costco. So the few times I do need something from I'll just ask to borrow their membership but it has been a few years now. 
    Just an FYI:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/28/business/costco-membership-sharing.html
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• WeberWho
    HeavyG said:
    WeberWho said:

Just an FYI:

Hey thanks. I planned on meeting one of my parents over at Costco this afternoon if they have some extra time. (My Mom's last official day of work today before retirement) 

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,060
    Choice can be as good as Prime and Prime not as good as Choice , look the brisket over , picture it trimmed , you’ll find something 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,616
    My local Costco switches back and forth between brisket grades. But as mentioned above sometimes the grade it doesn't matter.  Sometimes I think that's just the sticker roll that they have out at that time.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,132
    HeavyG said:
    WeberWho said:

Just an FYI:

My Daughter took my card ~1-2 weeks ago and at register they wouldnt let her buy.  My Family membership only allows one other person- which is SWMBO.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 603
    I'll be at the Coon Rapids location tomorrow morning, i'll take a peek and let you know what I find.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,191
    Greensboro NC only had choice a few days ago..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• WeberWho
    lkapigian said:
    Choice can be as good as Prime and Prime not as good as Choice , look the brisket over , picture it trimmed , you’ll find something 
    For sure, thanks. That's the issue I have at Sam's. The few times they do have Prime briskets they were like picking up 2x4. 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    I was late to the party. I overheard a guy ask the Costco employee about Prime briskets and he mentioned that they were sold out early this morning. I was talking to another Costco shopper and he mentioned he called 3-4 Costco's looking for Prime grade brisket with no luck. 

I was able to grab a really nice 12lb. floppy choice brisket. A little smaller then I was hoping for but it shall do. I'll add in a pork butt for the 4th just in case. 

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,554
    I'm sure it will turn out great as the "prime" at Costco and a good floppy choice are tough to distinguish.  Have fun with the cook-what cooker(s) gets the call to action?

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,064
    xfire_ATX said:
    HeavyG said:
    WeberWho said:

Just an FYI:

My Daughter took my card ~1-2 weeks ago and at register they wouldnt let her buy.  My Family membership only allows one other person- which is SWMBO.
    That’s interesting.  Last time I was at Costco, the cashier noticed my card was one that did not have my photo on it.  She asked me to update it when I got a chance.  I gather they’ve started cracking down on people sharing their cards broadly.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 603
    Plenty of choice briskets there this weekend, no prime. 
  • lkapigian said:
    100% this 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,805
    The prime briskets at Costco are cut weird. Someone explained it here a while back, but I don't remember the deets. The gist of it is that I've never seen any other place shave the point down so much. HEB spoils us down here, so Costco prime briskies are not so sought after ( I think). 

Different point - i've never had an issue with my membership card at Costco. Especially at the self-service tills. Scan the card, scan your stuff, and away you go. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.