Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peach butt time

YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,984
It has begun.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• YukonRon

Brined with 12 ounces of pickling salt, and 12 ounces of molasses in 3 quarts of water. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Epic outcome is downstream.  Can't wait for the finish. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Gonna be a great one... hope you doing well...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks - but I kept wondering where the "peach" part came in!

I personally have QUITE a few feet of dried peach tree wood so that really caught my eye...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    Out of the brine and into my hi tech seasoning tray. The seasoning is a mixture of a bunch of previous mixtures, so I have no idea of the mix breakdown other than there is some heat, sweetness, onion, garlic mustard seed smoked paprika chili powder, ancho chili powder, cayenne, kosher salt, black pepper, and other stuff, I can’t remember.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon

I used two jars of Smucker’s Peach preserves. Slathered on all sides of the already rubbed pork butt…going on somewhere between 225°F and 250°F if I am lucky.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    YukonRon said:

I used two jars of Smucker’s Peach preserves. Slathered on all sides of the already rubbed pork butt…going on somewhere between 225°F and 250°F if I am lucky.

COOL! please excuse me for thinking you meant peach wood for smoke!

LOOKS great from here!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    edited May 2023
    On the XL until tomorrow. Did anyone else hear a choir of Angels? Yeah, me neither.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    lousubcap said:
    Epic outcome is downstream.  Can't wait for the finish. 

Hoping to make it happen, we shall see.  Thanks for the confidence.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Gonna be a great one... hope you doing well...

Johnny Tarheel, my man! How you doing brother? Hope all is going well for you. I am better thank you for asking. 
    Now if I can get this peach butt across the line I will be feeling a heck of a lot large and in charge. We shall see. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    RRP said:
    Thanks - but I kept wondering where the "peach" part came in!

I personally have QUITE a few feet of dried peach tree wood so that really caught my eye...
    2 empty jars of Smucker’s finest preserves they ever made for a slow smoke and roast, it is now a bonafide Peach Butt starting to cook, we shall see if it is a Peach butt after the cook.

We shall see. Hoping for the best, ready for the worst. 

Good to see you Ron, hoping all is going well.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    RRP said:
    YukonRon said:

COOL! please excuse me for thinking you meant peach wood for smoke!

LOOKS great from here!
    I am using peach wood for smoke on this as well. It does an outstanding job with pork.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Looking great.

I'm likely doing to do a few of these in about a month.  Thanks for the reminder.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Solid Work!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    That's awesome.  Do you have a special biscuit recipe?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    Foghorn said:
    That's awesome.  Do you have a special biscuit recipe?
    I will get it from My Beautiful Wife, and send it to you.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The anticipation...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    how long to brine?

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • YukonRon
    I brine 12-24 hours. I squally do 24, this one got 12. It will still be awesome. The rub and the preserves keep so much more moisture. 

Great question, sorry I did not address it earlier. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    YukonRon said:

As usual…..Gawjus
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    Reached 203°F, internal, jiggled when I placed the peel under it. The cracklin of this is awesome. The crust is delicious. I recommend a Pinot noir Rosé. When you quit picking at it, go with an awesome white. We have a white burgundy, we will open tonight. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon

Letting it settle for an hour or two, one hour is fine.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon said:

As usual…..Gawjus
    This dude is my brother, everyone. He is being nice because he don’t want me to drink the Tito’s he left, the last time he came up.

Just kidding. That Tito’s is long gone. Those Bloodies, unreal.

Thank you Robin, for being a good friend. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    beautimus
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    YukonRon said:
    Reached 203°F, internal, jiggled when I placed the peel under it. The cracklin of this is awesome. The crust is delicious. I recommend a Pinot noir Rosé. When you quit picking at it, go with an awesome white. We have a white burgundy, we will open tonight. 

@YukonRon - Looks delicious, hoping for pics when it's pulled.
    Curious about your drip pan, what is that?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • YukonRon said:
    It looks delicious. Do you hit it with any seasoning after you pull it or does the peach preserves, rub, and brine give it all the flavor it needs?  I haven’t been able to find any peach preserves at my stores. I’ll need to check Amazon. 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon said:
    It looks delicious. Do you hit it with any seasoning after you pull it or does the peach preserves, rub, and brine give it all the flavor it needs?  I haven’t been able to find any peach preserves at my stores. I’ll need to check Amazon. 
    I add nothing for seasoning, but I do use sauce I make. 

Great question, I should have addressed sooner.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Shredded, took about two pounds to the neighbors. They loved it. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky