Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2023 Chinese New Year Eve

Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,457
edited January 2023 in EggHead Forum
Had our celebration yesterday, 
not a bad start…

Shrimp and chicken soup made with seafood broth, tofu, mushroom, egg

Fried shrimp with simple S&P seasoning 

Instapot side ribs cooked in home made glutinous rice wine with shiitake mushroom and rehydrated tofu skin, they soaked up the booze like sponge!

Maple roasted Brussel sprouts with bacon

Asian salad

Leg of lamb with Five spice based Asian seasoning, sous vide 8 hours @ 144 for medium (stayed away from medium rare due to seniors and kids under five), seared in screaming hot XL after duck was done. Served with chimichurri sauce

Tried a new method for Peking duck… hung to dry overnight in the ‘walk in’ fridge with fan, XL 350 indirect, 30m breast up, 45m breast down, 30m breast up. When it finished at breast IT 165, leg 190, the skin was still kind of oily. Had to grill direct with few flips to dry and crisp up (butcher string leg bondage used for hanging came in handy for flipping). A lot of work for mediocre returns, much easier to just buy one but the lineup at local bbq places are usually crazy, I heard at one place there were 30+ ppl in line around 1pm.

Wrapped in Pac-Man bao instead of traditional crepe

Roasted black sesame seed rice balls in ginger syrup, symbolic of family togetherness 

Excuse the chaotic tasteless spread  :)

Happy Sunday all!

canuckland

Comments

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    WOW!
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Amazing.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Fabulous!! :clap::clap::clap:

I've honestly been waiting for this thread ALL WEEK =) A couple of podcasts I listen to have been talking about Lunar New Year, which immediately made me think " oh man, I can't wait to see what @Canugghead is going to throw down". You did not disappoint, my friend. What a spread!

Wanted to make a few of things, but found out late that it is today. May still be able to make something, so stay tuned. 

(I hope this is correct)  新年好 and 
    恭喜发财 to you and your family. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Wow, just wow!  Very impressive.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    What a spread!!

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Hope they were happy celebrations. With those cooks, would be hard for them not to be. This is easily one of the best collections of cooks I’ve seen all in one place. Well done. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Now that is an incredible cook and spread.  Way to pull it all together and deliver.  Impressive does not do that banquet justice.  You  set quite a high bar right there.  Congrats!!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,359
    Very impressive 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    edited January 2023

I find the same thing when I'm cooking duck in the Egg tbh but you totally nailed the end result.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    phenomenal eats there. What a spread!
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I will humbly admit defeat. I bow low from the waist, while exiting the room backwards. Well played.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    That Peking Duck almost makes me want to go back!  I miss the food, but not the flight!

Nice meal!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Good grief!!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Canugghead
    Been out all day, truly appreciate and humbled by all your kind comments. 
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    caliking said:

I've honestly been waiting for this thread ALL WEEK =) A couple of podcasts I listen to have been talking about Lunar New Year, which immediately made me think " oh man, I can't wait to see what @Canugghead is going to throw down". You did not disappoint, my friend. What a spread!

Wanted to make a few of things, but found out late that it is today. May still be able to make something, so stay tuned. 

(I hope this is correct)  新年好 and 恭喜发财 to you and your family. 
    Haha, after two Christmas get togethers and with grandkid #1’s bd next weekend, this was meant to be a small cook but it snowballed. Thanks for the pressure.

Can’t wait for your cooks, I won’t be surprised to see fares more authentic and traditionally Chinese than ours. Mark my words😋

Your Chinese greetings are spot on. Thanks!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Hope they were happy celebrations. With those cooks, would be hard for them not to be. This is easily one of the best collections of cooks I’ve seen all in one place. Well done. 
    Indeed, food is a great way to bring family/friends together. Hard to believed I never cooked before getting my first BGE, my better half still does most of the cooking though  :)
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    lousubcap said:
    Now that is an incredible cook and spread.  Way to pull it all together and deliver.  Impressive does not do that banquet justice.  You  set quite a high bar right there.  Congrats!!
    Thanks cap, never said it before, I really admire you tirelessly cooking for the folks at the firehouse/s. That’s the true high bar 🫡
    canuckland
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Bravo good Sir, bravo! More important than the outstanding food is the time spent with family. You are living large my friend.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Whoa!!!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Canugghead

I find the same thing when I'm cooking duck in the Egg tbh but you totally nailed the end result.
    Took a refresher by reading past duck posts in the forum, more or less followed @smak’s post you recommended. What I want to try is low and slow (may be even sous vide?) and still somehow get the skin crispy, perhaps @fishlessman can chime in?
    canuckland
  • Wow, Gary, that is just FANTASTIC.

Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Canugghead
    shtgunal3 said:
    Bravo good Sir, bravo! More important than the outstanding food is the time spent with family. You are living large my friend.
    Couldn't agree more my friend, as the saying goes everyday is a gift, at our age being able to cook and share is blessed.
    canuckland
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    Those are some tasty looking treats. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • caliking
    caliking said:

(I hope this is correct)  新年好 and 恭喜发财 to you and your family. 
    Haha, after two Christmas get togethers and with grandkid #1’s bd next weekend, this was meant to be a small cook but it snowballed. Thanks for the pressure.

Can’t wait for your cooks, I won’t be surprised to see fares more authentic and traditionally Chinese than ours. Mark my words😋

Your Chinese greetings are spot on. Thanks!
    You're too kind. I dropped the ball this year, because I found out the date without enough to time properly prepare. Plus, it coincided with caliprince's birthday. The only thing I managed was noodles (all unbroken!), so hopefully we'll have a healthy, long life :)

I have 2/10/24 marked on my calendar, so I can be prepared for the Year of the Dragon. Which is the same as the year I was born :) 

• Canugghead
    @caliking thanks for the pressure a year in advance! btw, if I'm not mistaken, happy 47th this year?  ;)
    canuckland
  • caliking
    @caliking thanks for the pressure a year in advance! btw, if I'm not mistaken, happy 47th this year?  ;)
    correct !

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Insane spread!  Making and serving all that at one sitting is no small feat, especially given the technical difficulty in some of your dishes.  👏
    Insane spread!  Making and serving all that at one sitting is no small feat, especially given the technical difficulty in some of your dishes.  👏
    Thanks  :) We managed by finishing some dishes and tasks a day or two ahead. 
    canuckland
  • caliking

Harvested white gold

This pic made me swoon...