Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving 2022... What's cookin'??

It's going to be a busy day. The spreadsheet is out in force. We're sort of co-hosting at a friend's place. So taking a bunch of things over.

- mango habanero jelly over smoked cream cheese
- kachori tarte soleil
- egret's ham
- gravy!
- corn casserole
- maple bourbon pecan pie

So what are y'all cookin' today? Let's see it :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Cream cheese jalapeño corn in the slow cooker. The sisters and niece are handling the rest.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @caliking - what a spread.  The maple bourbon ( bottom shelf...) pecan pie sounds incredible.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    @BIG_GREEN_DAVE -some info for the next turkey cook here:
    The theory to the actual turkey cook-time 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Beans and bird on. Dressings and pies were made yesterday. 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    ryantt said:
    Wow!!!! Your meal sounds amazing.   

Norah Grace is making a few pies from a book an amazing egghead got her.  

Just finished baking bread on the egg

The family hates turkey so they requested chicken this year (4 birds about 20lbs)

Other than that we will have the typical sides 

Beautiful 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Frying turkey breasts and smoking turkey legs at my brother's today. Just took this off the egg which will serve as our leftover sammies all weekend. 

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    One 15 pound bird in the egg.  One 17 pound bird in the oven.  Pictures to follow.

My sisters have the rest under control.  There were going to be18 of us around the table.  But, my oldest daughter (school teacher) must have gotten too close to one of her little petri dishes with legs and caught something.  Hoping she feels better by the weekend as I have lunch plans with both daughters on Sunday.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    @lkapigian - as always, "Go big or go home."  I don't have the bandwidth for that.  Lookin good right there.  
    I always remove that plastic leg piece before the cook.  Just a big annoyance to me.  
  • @lkapigian I wouldn’t of expected anything less 😂😂
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lkapigian
    lousubcap said:
    @lkapigian - as always, "Go big or go home."  I don't have the bandwidth for that.  Lookin good right there.  
    I always remove that plastic leg piece before the cook.  Just a big annoyance to me.  
    Agreed , those were dropped off for me to cook.. bring them seasoned and ready to rock 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker - I can't even translate most of that but it sounds great and if the teaser pics are any indication-a true banquet awaits.  
  • lkapigian
    After last year we all decided we wanted to get away from the traditional Turkey feast and let everyone chip in something that they love to make. 

Carmelised apple shoyu ramen from scratch including alkaline noodles. 12 hour sv pork shoulder chasu cooked in tare. Had a nibble last night- fork tender delicious. Our son has developed a formidable, restaurant-quality ramen game over the past few years and it’s all on display here. Broth is gelatinous at room temp on the counter top. Noodles and pork were amazing on their own. Cant wait until they are all together. 

XiolongBao (soup dumplings)- using the ramen broth as the soup- no additional gelatin needed. 

wagyu beef potstickers 

ginger scallion pancakes 

general tso chicken from the wok

homemade chili oil

3 separate homemade dough recipes (alkaline for ramen,
    poststicker, soup dumpling) 

everyone did agree that traditional dessert is the way to go so we (TFJ) made apple tart, pumpkin cheesecake, cherry pie

breakfast is traditional as well (for us): cheese grits, Nueske’s ham, danish, berries and yogurt. Only the grits made from scratch in this round. 

Mimosas and French 75’s on tap for morning cocktails. 

We certainly did not save ourselves any time or effort moving away from the traditional feast but should be quite a banquet. Everything was made from scratch ut everyone pitched in and made their thing. Fun week though. Will post pics later 

we did get drunk and made a chef snack last night of extra ramen noodle dough (rolled into a flat noodle), topped with leftover brisket from lunch at Eaker bbq), and chili oil right off the stove. It was a good start to the festivities! 

That is amazing!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker we need more muthafukkin' likes for all of that!!

• caliking
    ryantt said:
    Wow!!!! Your meal sounds amazing.   

Norah Grace is making a few pies from a book an amazing egghead got her.  

Just finished baking bread on the egg

The family hates turkey so they requested chicken this year (4 birds about 20lbs)

Other than that we will have the typical sides 

Waddaya know... I may have that same book open right now :) Can't wait to see what she's throwing down today.

And, those loaves are absolutely gorgeous. I wish i could score a loaf like that. 

• After last year we all decided we wanted to get away from the traditional Turkey feast and let everyone chip in something that they love to make. 

Carmelised apple shoyu ramen from scratch including alkaline noodles. 12 hour sv pork shoulder chasu cooked in tare. Had a nibble last night- fork tender delicious. Our son has developed a formidable, restaurant-quality ramen game over the past few years and it’s all on display here. Broth is gelatinous at room temp on the counter top. Noodles and pork were amazing on their own. Cant wait until they are all together. 

XiolongBao (soup dumplings)- using the ramen broth as the soup- no additional gelatin needed. 

wagyu beef potstickers 

ginger scallion pancakes 

general tso chicken from the wok

homemade chili oil

3 separate homemade dough recipes (alkaline for ramen,
    poststicker, soup dumpling) 

everyone did agree that traditional dessert is the way to go so we (TFJ) made apple tart, pumpkin cheesecake, cherry pie

breakfast is traditional as well (for us): cheese grits, Nueske’s ham, danish, berries and yogurt. Only the grits made from scratch in this round. 

Mimosas and French 75’s on tap for morning cocktails. 

We certainly did not save ourselves any time or effort moving away from the traditional feast but should be quite a banquet. Everything was made from scratch but everyone pitched in and made their thing. Fun week though. Will post pics later 

we did get drunk and made a chef snack last night of extra ramen noodle dough (rolled into a flat noodle), topped with leftover brisket from lunch at Eaker bbq), and chili oil right off the stove. It was a good start to the festivities! 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ive got a 15lb Bird on the Egg right now Mad Max Style. i'll post some pics later
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • lousubcap
    That is making this a true Thanksgiving @WeberWho.  I am sure the level of appreciation will not be adequately expressed.  
    Happy Thanksgiving.
  • caliking
    @lousubcap eat the best bits when its done. Then, let the others fend for themselves =)

• caliking
    WeberWho said:
    4 birds and a ham. 3 of the turkeys are going to families in need. The last turkey is going to my sister who can't make Thanksgiving and a coworker who's family is out of state. 15lbs of mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, corn, rolls, and pumpkin pie. 

Now I get to go eat oven turkey at my relatives. How does that work? ;) 

You're a good egg(head). I don't care what ever everyone says about you.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    “Not saddled with weeks of leftovers”

We are not on the same page.
  • Anyone have a good hack for removing the netting from a boneless turkey breast roast? Putting the rub on over it sort of made the net one with the roast and so between that and how tender it was, by the time I got it off the roast looked like a raccoon had gotten to it. Tasted great but presentation was terrible.