Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving 2022... What's cookin'??

Options
124»

Comments

• Wooderson
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Wooderson said:
    Just got back from Florida during the week.   It's all the cooks above that make me miss a great Thanksgiving feast.   It's hard to pass up sun and beach and fresh seafood,  but damn this food looks good. Great cooking folks
    By chance did you grab any stone crab claws??  
    Absolutely. I was following the stone crab thread and couldn't order them fast enough.   So damn good
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,849
    Options
    Had me some of the leftover turkey tonight on nachos.  Sorry no pics.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I’m tired of turkey.  I’m tired of “What to do with leftover turkey” emails.  Come on Christmas!  I never get tired of ham.
    Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I’m tired of turkey.  I’m tired of “What to do with leftover turkey” emails.  Come on Christmas!  I never get tired of ham.
    I'm not tired of Thanksgiving leftovers just yet, but I'm with you re: ham. Its probably my favorite thing to cook this time of year. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I don't know why my parents drove home the idea that I can't waste food.  I have made turkey sammiches, turkey soup, turkey enchiladas, and turkey omelets.  

I just can't do it anymore!  I am glad it over today.  Last day.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Why toss the turkey when it freezes well as soup. I'm good for soup year round 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    We used to just freeze the turkey carcass and resurrect it as gumbo for Christmas.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    We used to just freeze the turkey carcass and resurrect it as gumbo for Christmas.
    Did turkey gumbo pies one year, froze and reheated for an Xmas  party. Went over well
    fukahwee maine

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,849
    Options
    Just had turkey Caesar salad.  Finally, all the turkey is gone.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    I will probably cook a turkey breast and a couple of legs next week. We had thanksgiving at my daughters in Texas and flew home on Saturday.  You people whining about too much turkey can shut it.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:
    I will probably cook a turkey breast and a couple of legs next week. We had thanksgiving at my daughters in Texas and flew home on Saturday.  You people whining about too much turkey can shut it.
    There are those that don't like lamb or ham or turkey......I'm not one of those
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Options
    Legume said:
    Had lamb for dinner tonight.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Did it stink up the house.....lamb is probably my favorite, leftovers not so much unless served cold
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Did it stink up the house.....lamb is probably my favorite, leftovers not so much unless served cold
    This was a coconut red curry with lentils and butternut squash, I had some leftover lamb panang curry (just the meat) that was frozen that I used instead of stewing fresh lamb.  Worked perfectly.  The house smells…like coconut curry.
  • Ragingirishman2
    Options
    We had the official meal at the in-laws and we don’t usually bring back left overs. MIL tries hard but it doesn’t hit the mark with Thanksgiving. On Sat I smoked a turkey breast and ham, made dressing, gravy, and mashed. Most of those left overs were gone by Mon night. Just now finishing off the final pieces of ham.

Im now calculating when I need to bring the rib roast out of the freezer for NYE. 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • caliking
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    This was a coconut red curry with lentils and butternut squash, I had some leftover lamb panang curry (just the meat) that was frozen that I used instead of stewing fresh lamb.  Worked perfectly.  The house smells…like coconut curry.
    You're holding out on us. 

• Legume
    Options
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    You're holding out on us. 
    No pics, it’s all the same color and I don’t really go all food stylist unless…ok, never.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/squash-and-lentil-lamb-stew/

A few intentional and unintentional adjustments:
    • Obviously the lamb - it was repurposed, leftover lamb panang
    • We had someone stay at our house for a week to watch the dog while we were out of town and, well, it looks like she cooked a lot and we’re still finding some of our kitchen stuff in all the wrong places.  I couldn’t find measuring spoons, so I guessed heavy at the red curry paste and I think it’s a little hotter than the blogger intended - but was just right for us.  If you measure things, I’d go with 3tbl paste. (I used Mae Ploy)
    • 2 medium onions instead of small
    • Green lentils instead of brown
    • Chunky peanut butter because we don’t buy creamy (fwiw, I think this sub is fine, but subbing creamy for chunky is never ok)
    • Doubled the garlic and ginger and it could’ve taken more
    • I didn’t realize I was out of hard squash, so had to go get some after I started the rest, so I seared/carmelized the squash for 5 min to jump start it since it was going in late (I’ll probably do this anyway next time, it’s just better this way)
  • caliking
    Options
    Thanks @Legume. This sounds like something we would very much enjoy.