Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Have Always Wanted A Stickburner And Now I Have A Problem

Well now I have a dilemma, too many grills and not enough space to keep them.  I found a good deal on a Lang 36” hybrid, one side is a grill and the other is a reverse flow smoker.  Now I have some duplication and I have to decide what to part with.  I have 2 large eggs built into my outdoor kitchen, an XL egg in a Cuna cart, a KBQ and a big Rockin W gravity smoker.  I plan on running a few cooks first to ensure I am happy with the offset before parting with my current setup.  Thinking about parting with the KBQ and the XL since the Lang can do both.  Problem is I am really attached to the KBQ.  What say you? What would you part with?

Southeast Louisiana
3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    A KBQ takes up so little space I wouldn't part with it for just any space concerns.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Get rid of the KBQ and I own one. That will do what the KBQ does and more. You will tend the KBQ almost as much as that. So you're not really losing much with the KBQ except for the smaller size and easy portability of the KBQ.

@lousubcap will have some excellent input on that size Lang. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Is that an old VW Bus in the driveway?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • I will just say that the resale market for the KBQ is very good.  Of course that cuts both ways…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • @WeberWho That was my thought also, the stick burner needs the same attention as the KBQ.  It does have a small footprint and makes killer ribs but so does my gravity unit and I am sure the Lang will make killer ribs also.  The pictures were taken at the guy’s house that sold it to me.
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    edited November 2022
    Buy more land, if that isn't possible, I would part ways with the XL.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I have a Lang 36" solo stick-burner and it was all I needed when acquired in Fall 2016. Like you, I was attracted to learning how to manage a wood fired off-set smoker for years.  And it is a totally different animal.  Needs care and feeding almost continuously-I knew that going in.  The challenge of fire, air and fuel (wood sticks) management is something I wanted to deal with first-hand so be ready for that.  
    The fire box and total size means you are in for feeding the fire around every 20-30 minutes +/- for the duration of the cook.
    The results are more smoke and earthy (whatever that means to anyone else) flavored and standalone especially with ribs and chix.  
    I will totally endorse going down a new Q rig approach but as you note, give it a few runs before tossing anything to the curb. In the end game, you have to be committed to a stick-burner cook. FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    We have similar arsenal, I’d love to have a KBQ ,they are all unique in there own way … my vote is for get rid of nothing 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • I’m sure that you can persuade someone to give the XL a new home.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I vote for this ^^^.  Buy a new house, or sell the XL =)

The KBQ’s small footprint and portability are a big win IMO. You can transport it in the trunk of a sedan, if needed. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Definitely get rid of the KBQ on your next visit to Galveston.
    Nice score on the Lang!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking said:

The KBQ’s small footprint and portability are a big win IMO. You can transport it in the trunk of a sedan, if needed. 
    Confirmed. Pig head included. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I forgot the biggest real estate occupier is this stainless griddle.  I have a small carport connecting my 2 garages and it is so full I can’t get into the garage without moving cooking equipment.  The boss can’t get the golf cart out of the garage.  

Southeast Louisiana
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    If you are not strapped for cash maybe loan your xl or kbq out to a close relative until you are for sure, for sure happy with your new unit. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• caliking
    caliking said:

That's the image that's seared into my memory !

• caliking said:
    caliking said:

That's the image that's seared into my memory !
    I can’t believe we don’t have a pic of that somewhere but I can’t find it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    I forgot the biggest real estate occupier is this stainless griddle.  I have a small carport connecting my 2 garages and it is so full I can’t get into the garage without moving cooking equipment.  The boss can’t get the golf cart out of the garage.  

What’s the use level on this? This may be in the sell pile
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Money_Hillbilly - the Lang website has some videos about fire management.  There may be something of value there but you've got it right...just gotta work at it.  Have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @JohnInCarolina Any idea of KBQ value in resale market?
    Southeast Louisiana
  • caliking
    @JohnInCarolina Any idea of KBQ value in resale market?
    I know this wasn't directed at me, but I've seen them listed for $400-$500 around here. 

• WeberWho
    Around 1K

Minnesota
  • @JohnInCarolina Any idea of KBQ value in resale market?
    I would just look on Craigslist nationally and see what they’re going for.  They are built like tanks and fairly unique, so personally I wouldn’t sell for much less than $500.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    The cheapest I ever saw for resale was $800 which I thought was a bargain. I'm rather shocked to see that some folks find them in the $400-$500 range.
    As @JohnInCarolina says they're built tough - everything is stainless steel, they don't rust, there's really nothing to break, the control box is tried and true decades old tech and is pretty bulletproof, they can cook a lot of meat, easily portable, etc.
    I guess tho that when you live in the land of $1.99/lb prime briskets and <$3/gal gas that seeing used KBQ's available for a few rolls of quarters is just a normal day. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Wish you were closer.  I'd be in at $600 easy.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Photo Egg
    HeavyG said:
    The cheapest I ever saw for resale was $800 which I thought was a bargain. I'm rather shocked to see that some folks find them in the $400-$500 range.
    As @JohnInCarolina says they're built tough - everything is stainless steel, they don't rust, there's really nothing to break, the control box is tried and true decades old tech and is pretty bulletproof, they can cook a lot of meat, easily portable, etc.
    I guess tho that when you live in the land of $1.99/lb prime briskets and <$3/gal gas that seeing used KBQ's available for a few rolls of quarters is just a normal day. :)
    In this area, south Texas, many start in $1000 range but sit and eventually slash price in half to sell. Maybe it’s because of the large number of used smokers in this area.   @caliking is a good example, as he bought 1 in the range he stated above.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    @Money_Hillbilly
    If you do decide to drop KBQ give a shout. We make it to your area, Covington, to visit Spring Chicken and Spring Hen.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,456
    Photo Egg said:
    @Money_Hillbilly
    If you do decide to drop KBQ give a shout. We make it to your area, Covington, to visit Spring Chicken and Spring Hen.
    I miss Leroy’s wee hours posts, lol
    canuckland