Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Rotisserie

Comments

• CGS said:
    I am told EGG needs to sticker the box with one small notification and should be out in week or two. Price is set and we have on order. T
    What will the price be compared to the Joetisserie?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    am i missing something? cant you just set it in the holder with the motor on either side?
    Nope, there is a cast in boss for the motor. 
    There you go again making me learn a new term!

Bosses are the integral features added to a casting for a number of potential functions, including mounting. Critical to die cast parts that need to be mounted, bosses are added to serve as stand-offs and mounting points. Bosses must have universal wall thickness for maximum integrity and strength for the component.

Now with that explained...do you really think the Chinese reverse engineered a joetisserie or simply made a sand mold from a joetisserie thereby achieving said "boss"?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP said:
    am i missing something? cant you just set it in the holder with the motor on either side?
    Nope, there is a cast in boss for the motor. 
    There you go again making me learn a new term!

Bosses are the integral features added to a casting for a number of potential functions, including mounting. Critical to die cast parts that need to be mounted, bosses are added to serve as stand-offs and mounting points. Bosses must have universal wall thickness for maximum integrity and strength for the component.

Now with that explained...do you really think the Chinese reverse engineered a joetisserie or simply made a sand mold from a joetisserie thereby achieving said "boss"?
    Whatever the absolute cheapest option is. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I do like the roto on the Egg.  CMAC, why bank the coals in the back, seems it would be better heat distribution to bank in the front?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• cmac610
    cmac610 Posts: 140
    I do like the roto on the Egg.  CMAC, why bank the coals in the back, seems it would be better heat distribution to bank in the front?
    Hey Smitty! Frankly, I think you could do either. But since the food is spinning slowly, front to back, or back to front distribution shouldn’t really matter. 
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
    #BGETeamGreen #TeamArteflame #TeamBarrelProof
    XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    I do like the roto on the Egg.  CMAC, why bank the coals in the back, seems it would be better heat distribution to bank in the front?

Agree with OP, since food is spinning, heat distribution is no big deal. IMO, it's easier to launch/remove food, or juggle/rebalance food, without the fire directly below your hands. It's also easier to use a drip pan (albeit off-centre) if you want.
    canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    I've never roti'd on an Egg but I've used these as drip pans for roti-ing on other grills:

They're only 6" wide so they can fit right under  the meat and you can have coals banked on either/both/all sides as you see fit. On my WSM I would basically dump a chimney of briquettes then clear a hole in the coal bed and fit the pan right in the center with coals on all sides.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    So, I'm learning here, please bear with me, but what is the difference if my chicken fat drips on my coals or drips on an aluminum pan that is scorching hot due to sitting directly on the coals?  Doesn't it produce the same nasty smoke?  

Has anyone, and I know this might be a dumb question, just let the chicken spin over the coals?  Was it awful?

I am really trying to figure this out and I fear it might be one of those things like how deep I bury my smoking wood.  I know how I like to do it, but I don't know that doing it differently will hurt anything.  #ItIsOnlyKinkyTheFirstTime.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    edited November 2022
    Langner91 said:
    So, I'm learning here, please bear with me, but what is the difference if my chicken fat drips on my coals or drips on an aluminum pan that is scorching hot due to sitting directly on the coals?  Doesn't it produce the same nasty smoke?  

Has anyone, and I know this might be a dumb question, just let the chicken spin over the coals?  Was it awful?

I am really trying to figure this out and I fear it might be one of those things like how deep I bury my smoking wood.  I know how I like to do it, but I don't know that doing it differently will hurt anything.  #ItIsOnlyKinkyTheFirstTime.
    I have had it spinning over coals and the chicken had that nasty smoke that you mention. Maybe some folks like the flavour, but for the chickens I tried it was a bit overpowering.

I tried having two fuel holders either side which helped but the chicken fat still dripped into the base of the Egg, causing some smoke (pic below isn't my Egg, it is the product I tried using). Also the skin didn't crisp up quite as much, maybe because the split containers reduced the direct heat onto the skin from the coals. 

If there is something I'm missing to avoid chicken fat dripping and causing a nasty smell, I would love to know and give it a try.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Langner91 said:

I don't move the coals around, don't use a drip pan, or any such high maintenance procedures when I am using the rotisserie and everything turns out great. Before I got it I did spatchcock and wings raised direct so I figured there is no difference. Wings and chicken are almost always rotisserie now.
  • I don't move the coals around, don't use a drip pan, or any such high maintenance procedures when I am using the rotisserie and everything turns out great. 
    Same here. I think one of the hidden blessings of getting older is losing the finely discriminating palate I used to have. Can't tell the difference in a lot of things now, so it all tastes good to me.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Most barrel cookers hang meat directly over coals or over a very hot diffuser plate. They are world renowned for great ribs and chicken. They market the fact that the fat renders and vaporizes on the coals as a flavor enhancer. 

I’ve done 1/2 chickens several times on a barrel and absolutely love the flavor. I’d assume it’d be a similar situation on a spit in an egg. Having said that, eat what YOU like and don’t worry about what others might think. Experimenting is a good part of the fun for me anyway. 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Langner91 said:

I have had it spinning over coals and the chicken had that nasty smoke that you mention. Maybe some folks like the flavour, but for the chickens I tried it was a bit overpowering.

I tried having two fuel holders either side which helped but the chicken fat still dripped into the base of the Egg, causing some smoke (pic below isn't my Egg, it is the product I tried using). Also the skin didn't crisp up quite as much, maybe because the split containers reduced the direct heat onto the skin from the coals. 

If there is something I'm missing to avoid chicken fat dripping and causing a nasty smell, I would love to know and give it a try.

have you tried a small pan, filled with sand or salt, under the spinning chix?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336

In my case my egg is built in.  Right side motor would be nice.  Better yet.  Bolt on for either side is smarter.  Counter weight in BGE.  Lay in the Grove for Joe.  I made my own single divider and dual dividers
    Columbus, Ohio
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759

nice set up!  Thanks for posting
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Stormbringer
    edited November 2022
    caliking said:
    Langner91 said:

have you tried a small pan, filled with sand or salt, under the spinning chix?
    I haven't, I'll give that a go. Thanks.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    @loco_engr
    Thanks. This configuration works great for XL, the small grate footprint of the Large may not work as well.
    canuckland
  • CGS
    CGS Posts: 71
    price JohnInCarolina said:
    CGS said:
    I am told EGG needs to sticker the box with one small notification and should be out in week or two. Price is set and we have on order. T
    Large 329.95
    xl 399.95
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited November 2022
    CGS said:
    CGS said:
    Large 329.95
    xl 399.95
    versus the Joetisserie price which is $___________?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    @RRP the kj stuff is $299 and $349
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    ryantt said:
    @RRP the kj stuff is $299 and $349
    They never sell for that though......I ended up having to sell classics for under $200 and the Big Joe size for under $250.  Just watch Amazon, ATL Grill Store, or Costco and they're even cheaper than that sometimes with free shipping.
  • CGS
    CGS Posts: 71
    I think the pizza wedge is out too, price $119.95 for large, not sure about others. 

looks to be a two piece cast aluminum wedge shape frame with opening in front. You'll need a rack to hold the stone(s) near felt line. 14" wide pizza is max.

t
  • stlcharcoal
    edited November 2022
    CGS said:
    I think the pizza wedge is out too, price $119.95 for large, not sure about others. 

looks to be a two piece cast aluminum wedge shape frame with opening in front. You'll need a rack to hold the stone(s) near felt line. 14" wide pizza is max.

t
    That's a better deal than the KJ version.......but that one comes with the stone, so maybe it's a wash?

Can't interchange them though (because of the two different hinge systems.)
  • CGS said:
    CGS said:
    Large 329.95
    xl 399.95
    hahaha
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Stormbringer
    edited November 2022
    CGS said:
    CGS said:
    Large 329.95
    xl 399.95
    This probably means they will be £395 and £480 respectively in the UK. The LetzQ is £200 and £250 respectively. I've got a LetzQ, it's basically the same as the BGE model except the motor is on the left hand side and the spit handle on the right.  

• -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Video with funky music:
    Has a little "Brown Chicken Brown Cow" vibe to it!

Ok, so they are a little more expensive, but they have an etched aluminum Big Green Egg logo plate.  That can't be cheap to make.

Take my money!

Clinton, Iowa
  • Stormbringer
    edited November 2022
    Found this post from 2016 requesting that CGS make a rotisserie, with an accurate prediction from @westernbbq ...
    Ill fabricate my own before i overpay for a joetisserie.  iF bge got around to development of it and announce that they had rotisserie setup for bge, theyll announce it and then tease us with release dates for about a year, and then itll be an overpriced item in the 300-400 range

Please, Tom for the sanity of ceramic grillers everywhere, make a ring, spit and motor setup for all sizes of eggs and you will not be able to keep up with demand

I promise to do my part!

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1201754/attn-tom-at-cgs-please-make-rotisserie-setup-for-bge

• stlcharcoal
    Langner91 said:

Ok, so they are a little more expensive, but they have an etched aluminum Big Green Egg logo plate.  

I don't like how on that flat basket is has that gigantic name plate blocking the fish.  Put a big piece of salmon or a rack of ribs in it and you're gonna have a 6x2" rectangle in the middle shielded from the heat??  First order of business, cut that stupid thing out with some tin snips!!