Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Critter Cam

Comments

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    ColbyLang said:
    Begger said:
    How do you intend to deal with the PIGS?
    Loud rifle shots will freak out EVERYTHING in earshot.......
    Trapping?    How would THAT work?     

If Rifle?   difficult to go too powerful.    30.06 might  be a minimum.....
    .223 or non-magnum 7mm might also be a little 'light'.
    I've seen hunters with a .44mag Ruger Carbine and it is WAY too little......
    A 45-70?     Now THAT's gonna get the job done out to maybe 150 yards.....
    Marlin makes a lever action that you may have seen in one of the dinosaur movies....
    Best way, rifles. .223 will do the job with proper shot placement. We killed 106 last year on our club. Already 12 into this season and we haven’t started hunting. We have a trap and it works. Most deer won’t run off from a rifle shot unless it’s very very close. Rule of 10 on hogs. If you see 10, you’ve got 100…….
    Not thermal but does a pretty fair job with an upgraded IR

We can plink hogs all morning, paired with a DDM4v11 and a Rugged 7.62 can with subs
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    billt01 said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Begger said:
    How do you intend to deal with the PIGS?
    Loud rifle shots will freak out EVERYTHING in earshot.......
    Trapping?    How would THAT work?     

If Rifle?   difficult to go too powerful.    30.06 might  be a minimum.....
    .223 or non-magnum 7mm might also be a little 'light'.
    I've seen hunters with a .44mag Ruger Carbine and it is WAY too little......
    A 45-70?     Now THAT's gonna get the job done out to maybe 150 yards.....
    Marlin makes a lever action that you may have seen in one of the dinosaur movies....
    Best way, rifles. .223 will do the job with proper shot placement. We killed 106 last year on our club. Already 12 into this season and we haven’t started hunting. We have a trap and it works. Most deer won’t run off from a rifle shot unless it’s very very close. Rule of 10 on hogs. If you see 10, you’ve got 100…….
    Not thermal but does a pretty fair job with an upgraded IR

We can plink hogs all morning, paired with a DDM4v11 and a Rugged 7.62 can with subs
    This is the same day/night scope I'm looking at.   3 friends have it and love it and doesn't break the bank.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,418
    Interested!!! Shut up and take my money! 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Do y’all much trouble with poachers around your place?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791

Nice one 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ColbyLang
    Y’all are such bad influences. Have my buddy pricing out an AR-10 build for me. Already ordered the optic lol
  • TechsasJim
    ColbyLang said:
    Y’all are such bad influences. Have my buddy pricing out an AR-10 build for me. Already ordered the optic lol
    Yep, SIL has ordered my .308 lower for a build and then the 6.5 Grendel starts.

Mind numbing...I'm just going to keep my Sig 5x20 optic for one of them though.
  • ColbyLang
    Thinking Aero upper and lower. Will put an 18” threaded barrel so my SureFire can will fit. 
  • TechsasJim
    ColbyLang said:
    Thinking Aero upper and lower. Will put an 18” threaded barrel so my SureFire can will fit. 
    Yes sir, love Aero.   That’s my current and what’s been ordered for .308.   Both in 18”.   Proof Research barrel may accompany but pretty $$
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited October 2022
    SGH said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Do y’all much trouble with poachers around your place?
    funny you should say that. We got poached by a former employee last fall. I didn't know it until the Game Warden showed up last week asking about him. Showed me a pic of a 140 class deer that was shot on my property that I had no idea of. He bragged about it on Social Media and it was such a nice deer GW paid him a visit. Turns out he didn't tag it (because he stole it) and is in a heap of trouble. We are way back off the road behind 2 security gates. It would be hard for someone to get in here that we didn't know. This guy asked if he could come shoot some does. They shot 2 does and shot our best buck with a bow so we didn't hear it. They were out there after dark so I asked what they were doing. He told me he was tracking an wounded doe but they were actually hiding that buck down by my gate. They came and showed me the 2 does (I take pics of everything shot out here) and drove off. I guess they walked back down the road and dragged the buck out. Turns out he has been on quite a spree and GW finally caught up with him because he was bragging on Social Media. Dumbass.

He worked for the guy we bought the place from and we used him for things as well. He knew every deer out here and knew that guy was here. Hope it was worth it. He's only 23. Worked out here since he was 13.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TechsasJim
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

that guy should have his pic placed next to the definition of “can’t fix stupid”.  

Sorry that happened…
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited October 2022
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

that guy should have his pic placed next to the definition of “can’t fix stupid”.  

Sorry that happened…

he's not a particularly bright kid. Dumb thing is I would have let him shoot his choice of several really nice deer if he wanted. He kind of had the run of the place. Could have hunted out here for years to come. Now he will never be back on this place again. I don't think he knows that I know yet so that will be interesting. GW asked me to lay low for a while as they wrap up their investigations. They have all kinds of other charges against him. I'm the smallest part of it.

Edit to add- He was with a friend, and the friend is the one who shot the deer and posted the pics. He traded our guy an arrow head to come poach my deer.  GW paid him a visit and he rolled on his buddy in 3 seconds. No Honor amongst thieves, I guess.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Those are the folks that give sportsmen and women a bad name. 95% of the hunters I know want to protect the resource and see it thrive. Hunt within all the seasons and regs. Then some dumba$$ screws it up for everyone. 

We hunt birds mainly. I do know a few folks who brag about killing way more than their daily limit. Those folks, like your poacher, are killers. Not hunters. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • ksmyrl said:
    Those are the folks that give sportsmen and women a bad name. 95% of the hunters I know want to protect the resource and see it thrive. Hunt within all the seasons and regs. Then some dumba$$ screws it up for everyone. 

We hunt birds mainly. I do know a few folks who brag about killing way more than their daily limit. Those folks, like your poacher, are killers. Not hunters. 

100%
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

Sorry that happened…

he's not a particularly bright kid. Dumb thing is I would have let him shoot his choice of several really nice deer if he wanted. He kind of had the run of the place. Could have hunted out here for years to come. Now he will never be back on this place again. I don't think he knows that I know yet so that will be interesting. GW asked me to lay low for a while as they wrap up their investigations. They have all kinds of other charges against him. I'm the smallest part of it.

Edit to add- He was with a friend, and the friend is the one who shot the deer and posted the pics. He traded our guy an arrow head to come poach my deer.  GW paid him a visit and he rolled on his buddy in 3 seconds. No Honor amongst thieves, I guess.
    I really hate poachers and feel sorry for this situation. I cannot believe the poacher would post about it on social media, what an idiot. 

At least you are taking the GW advice and laying low about it and not doing anything stupid like posting about it on social media. 

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• EGGjlmh said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

Sorry that happened…

I really hate poachers and feel sorry for this situation. I cannot believe the poacher would post about it on social media, what an idiot. 

At least you are taking the GW advice and laying low about it and not doing anything stupid like posting about it on social media. 
    You might want to check your magazine there, EGG, because you’re shooting blanks.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    ColbyLang said:
    Definitely an expensive endeavor 

between the DDM4v11, Ruger 300 BO

and now adding a 458 SOCOM

merry Christmas you filthy hog
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Bought me an ATN X-SIGHT 4K.   I can blow the heads a squirls clean off at 500 yards in the middle of the night.  Lil sheeats never see it comin.   
  • EGGjlmh said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

Sorry that happened…

Are you still mad that I called you a horrible c*nt when you made fun of Yukon Ron for being worried about one of his kids getting covid? 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,737
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TechsasJim
    Gonna be a big weekend—gun shot wise.   Half the people I know are at camp now.   
  • Gonna be a big weekend—gun shot wise.   Half the people I know are at camp now.   
    I live at camp ha ha. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,737
    Gonna be a big weekend—gun shot wise.   Half the people I know are at camp now.   
    I live at camp ha ha. 
    I don't understand those that don't live at camp.  You will soon understand that you need a second camp......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TechsasJim
    Holy smokes.   Very handsome and will grow to be a stud.   Keep him around for breeding.   
  • Took 5 does and 2 nice bucks this last weekend. 11 so far this season. 30 more to go. We are taking really nice young bucks this year which feels so wrong. But we have 4 more guys like the pic above in the 3/4yo range so we have to make some tough decisions on who stays and who goes. This 10 pointer was a tough call but I have 5-6 more just like him at the same age so I gave the green light to my niece’s husband to take this one. Great deer and would have been awesome in 2 years. 

Learning as we go but trying to do the best to mange the herd to the degree I can afford to feed them lol. Being high-fenced forces us to make decisions you would not make otherwise but that is what we are working with.

This deer never would have made it this long in the wild and would make an amazing 5/6yo out here but there are better deer coming behind him and we have more like him in his age group. Never thought I would be managing a herd of anything but I have enjoyed it and hope to get better as I go. 

• Holy smokes.   Very handsome and will grow to be a stud.   Keep him around for breeding.   
    That is the plan. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Holy smokes.   Very handsome and will grow to be a stud.   Keep him around for breeding.   

That's what she said!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    This is so neat!  I like deer!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited November 2022
    EGGjlmh said:
    This is so neat!  I like deer!
    I know you do; but for your own sake, I feel I must remind you that it is still illegal to have sex with them in most states. That is just a cross you are going to have to carry. #loveislove (but not with deer)