Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - For Car Lovers: Some Recent Exotic Spottings

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

When I was in my mid-20s, a client of my wife’s let me take his 911 Turbo S for a spin the very first time I met him. Great ride.

Love that colour!
    I am super impressed if that 911 is a stick, although high possibility they don’t make those with an old fashioned synchronized manual, ….still impressed
    @nolaegghead

Nice to see you back again, Carey!
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• BlueRidgeSmokers
    Options
    WeberWho said:

A 1996 Impala SS shouldn't be anyone's dream car. I remember seeing them as a kid and thinking it was something special. It's a big family sedan that isn't really anything special other than sharing the same LT1 engine as the Corvette. It's maybe the sleeper aspect of it. (260hp with 300+ lbs of torque. Not too bad for an early to mid 90's four door car. Slow to today's standards. My dad's 11 year old 4 cylinder Chevy has 35 more horsepower than the 1996 Impala SS)

If money grew on trees I'd have the 1996 Impala SS lowered an 1", windows tinted, updated wheels (tastefully), cammed, and have the transmission converted to manual. Something similar below but not so "murdered out."

I'm also big fan of the newer Chevrolet SS. A newer version of the mid 90's SS. A 4 door V8 with rwd. (It even came in manual transmission!) It ultimately failed for GM. Another cool car that didn't see much love. 
    There's a lot to say for 300+ lbs-ft torque even if the top-end power isn't screaming. I, too, love those big RWD sedans, at least in concept. My daily driver is a 2010 Mazdaspeed3 which isn't much like the big sedans other than 270hp/270ft-lbs under the hood.

The early '00s Mercury Marauder was eye-candy but felt just a bit pricey. Also wish it had a bit more V8 under the hood but who doesn't.

Sadly the big sedans weren't getting love in the 90s, even in the '00s when H2s were the rage. Sigh. I'll have to watch an ep or two of Roadkill Garage now.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I loved that Chevy tried one last time with the SS. Rear wheel drive, 415 HP, 415 lbs of torque, and available in manual transmission. 

Such a cool car but if I remember correctly it started at 60K plus. Which pretty much killed it before it really had any chance. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BlueRidgeSmokers
    Options
    I recall the hot-rod SS, it sounded terrific until you saw it was priced like Corvette.

There's at least Holden Monaro / Pontiac GTO still romping around my neighborhood, I like the idea of that car and who doesn't want a car made in Australia?

• WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:

My daily driver is a 2010 Mazdaspeed3 which isn't much like the big sedans other than 270hp/270ft-lbs under the hood.

What a fun car! It was a flip of a coin between the 2010 Mazdaspeed3 and the 2010 Chevy HHR SS. My Dad ended up going with a manual HHR SS but he has wondered how the Mazdaspeed3 would have worked out. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BlueRidgeSmokers
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:

My daily driver is a 2010 Mazdaspeed3 which isn't much like the big sedans other than 270hp/270ft-lbs under the hood.

What a fun car! It was a flip of a coin between the 2010 Mazdaspeed3 and the 2010 Chevy HHR SS. My Dad ended up going with a manual HHR SS but he has wondered how the Mazdaspeed3 would have worked out. 

It is a very fun car, you can drive it moderately and it's a hatchback with terrific highway torque (rarely ever need to downshift) and reasonable fuel economy (upper 20s, I've seen 29MPG when trying).

Push on the gas and it doesn't fool around, the fun is enhanced by the relatively wild amount of torque-steering. Even though it reduces torque when you're turning, it can still be a bit wild.

Suspension is pleasantly firm though I probably ought to start looking at struts soon. Sadly Mazda indicates there won't be another Mazdaspeed3, but they do make a Mazda 3 Turbo, the magazines all describe it as a Mazdaspeed3 for grown-ups. That just proves it, even at age 60 I'm not grown-up.

That HHR SS was really appealing but it kind-of came and went pretty quickly.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    Options

If you find one with under 100k miles and clean those things are becoming collectable/expensive for what they are. 

Minnesota
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Yeah a LT1 station wagon would put smiles on the kids faces doing doughnuts!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @todd-man

Beautiful ride and setting!
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    This seems like the appropriate place for this.  

I flew fromTexas to the beach in Florida with friends who own this.  Don’t ask me for details about it. I just know that it beats flying commercial.  No waiting at the airport. Direct flight to a small private airport.  Only 4 passengers.  I’d love to say that I’ll never fly commercial again - but I’m going to do it on Sunday…
    Nice plane. You do realize that you can look up the plane by tail number, right? 
  • WeberWho
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Foghorn said:

I flew fromTexas to the beach in Florida with friends who own this.  Don’t ask me for details about it. I just know that it beats flying commercial.  No waiting at the airport. Direct flight to a small private airport.  Only 4 passengers.  I’d love to say that I’ll never fly commercial again - but I’m going to do it on Sunday…
    Nice plane. You do realize that you can look up the plane by tail number, right? 
    It's all pretty much public knowledge. For anyone who is interested in planes that are flying near/above them (or anywhere) you should download the app Flightradar24. It tells you the plane, their flight destination, altitude, speed, etc. I just learned about the app the other day. It's a cool app. 

Minnesota
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Yes.   But I wasn't sure where to look and whatever information I found wouldn't meant a lot to me anyway...  I just knew that it was a nice ride.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options

Ah.  Thank you, you've solved a puzzle I've had for a couple years.  Neighbor about 2 blocks south of me has one of these parked on the street, but with the rear bed/frame completely stripped off.  I couldn't figure out what the vehicle's original use was.  This could be designed as an infantry-style supply vehicle, but seeing the Snowbird decal, they're probably also used up in the ski areas, with their high clearance.  Glad I'm not buying the gas.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I would give my left one for that CJ5.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Botch said:

Ah.  Thank you, you've solved a puzzle I've had for a couple years.  Neighbor about 2 blocks south of me has one of these parked on the street, but with the rear bed/frame completely stripped off.  I couldn't figure out what the vehicle's original use was.  This could be designed as an infantry-style supply vehicle, but seeing the Snowbird decal, they're probably also used up in the ski areas, with their high clearance.  Glad I'm not buying the gas.  
    Unimog?  I want.  Even if it is not.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,122
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Botch said:

Unimog is a dream vehicle for me.  I'm not great at the years/models, but it looked like a 404 to me.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • billt01
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Botch said:

Unimog is a dream vehicle for me.  I'm not great at the years/models, but it looked like a 404 to me.
    I am looking.

found them from mid 20's all the way to >135k.

these things make US military Hum-vee's look quite pedestrian in off road capabilities..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Botch said:

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Botch said:

I don’t think there’s enough room in the back of that thing for all your kids
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Botch said:

The last one I saw in person had two benches in the back facing each other.  I think they would all fit.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,434
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    Botch said:

The last one I saw in person had two benches in the back facing each other.  I think they would all fit.
    Good friend of mine bought 5 surplus Army HumVees. 4 doors with rear benches facing each other. We fit 16 adults in one at the hunting lease. Beer drinking ride. 

Got em all street legal and flipped em for a profit. Not as much fun as one would think
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I know some people have endless amount of money but still hard to see a million dollar P1 floating around in the floods. 

Minnesota
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I know some people have endless amount of money but still hard to see a million dollar P1 floating around in the floods. 

This hurts.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    That reminds me. Buying a used car for the next 3 years or so might not be a good idea.