Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Canugghead

And here I am letting my squash flowers wilt up and die, like a sucker! 😐

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    @Canugghead

Swmbo has been looking up squash flower recipes. Pick in the morning after using them to pollinate, before they close up with bees inside!
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Garden male squash flower fritters, courtesy swmbo

I didn't realize the flowers had a gender, do you only cook the "males"?  (I won't ask how you tell)  I see squash blossoms at the local farmer's market, but don't deep-fry so I've never tried them.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• jadams03
    jadams03 Posts: 45
    Options
    @jadams03

Thanks, friend. This one just worked out great. Whole family agreed we wanted to do this again soon. 

It’s a riff on a Buddha bowl recipe my sis-in-law had once made. If you Google salmon Buddha bowls, there are lots of good recipes online. For the salmon, I just threw soya, rice wine vinegar, honey, sambal olek, sesame oil, mirin, and tons of freshly grated garlic and ginger into a ziplock, and squished the bag to mix. Didn’t measure any of the ingredients. If you use them regularly in other recipes, it can be kind of intuitive. Tasted once and then added a little salt and pepper, a little more soy and a little more honey. Then I marinated the portioned salmon (to increase surface area). Cooked the salmon indirect on the Egg, brushing the salmon with the remaining marinade regularly, which worked to build a glaze. 

The salmon sauce was magical, and while I’d like to take credit, I had no part in making that portion. It was a cashew, miso, ginger and garlic dressing and my word, did it ever punch! I would guess there was other stuff in there. It hit that beautiful (to me, at least) threshold of garlic where the sting was present. Super creamy from the cashews. I could eat that stuff with a spoon. I searched online to see if I could find a recipe for you and it seems miso ginger dressing is a pretty popular thing. If I can get further deets from my wife, maybe I can PM ya. 
    Sounds perfect, and you've given me what I need! I'll look forward to giving this a shot soon.  I love the cashew addition- I haven't done that before but it makes sense. Thanks again for sharing!
    Large BGE--Louisville KY

"May I be worthy of my meat." Wendell Berry
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Canugghead

Swmbo has been looking up squash flower recipes. Pick in the morning after using them to pollinate, before they close up with bees inside!
    No fun without the bees. You’re missing out on both the protein and the crunch!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Learn something new dang near every day here.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Botch said:

I didn't realize the flowers had a gender, do you only cook the "males"?  (I won't ask how you tell)  I see squash blossoms at the local farmer's market, but don't deep-fry so I've never tried them.  
    I will ask how you tell and additionally I will ask do the dudes taste different from the chicks?
  • Canugghead
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Botch said:

Google is your friend my friend, lol. When you look inside you should be able to figure out the sex intuitively  ;)

Female flowers are scarce and bear fruits, males are in abundance and useless after fulfilling its reproductive duty, either via bees or Qtip. 
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Canugghead said:
    Female flowers are scarce and bear fruits, males are in abundance and useless after fulfilling its reproductive duty, either via bees or Qtip. 
    Huh.  Well, I learned something this morning!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Canugghead
    Options
    You slayed it @lousubcap
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,272
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @lousubcap

My word. Some are lucky. Others don’t need luck and are consistently good. I know where you stand. 

(Edit: Mail me a slice, will ya!?)
  • bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @lousubcap There is a reason you are the go to on all things brisket. Great looking cook, thanks for sharing! 
  • jadams03
    jadams03 Posts: 45
    Options
    let me join the chorus @lousubcap - that looks amazing.  We're truly in the presence of greatness!
    Large BGE--Louisville KY

"May I be worthy of my meat." Wendell Berry
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Goddaaaamn @lousubcap !!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Showed this to caliqueen, and it brought back some memories. On vacation in Italy many years ago, we ate pumpkin and squash flower fritters for the first time. You could stick just about anything in the ground in Iowa, and it would grow. So, we enjoyed these for quite a bit after that trip :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Been a month plus and given I'm old, today's brisket cook.  BTW- last two were on the stick burner, this is BGE'd.  Costco prime and Dexter will make an appearance.  

Now on the altar-Trimmed at around 11.3 lbs (started at 13.7lbs)

And the money shot-It had upper-tier flavor but the stick burner finish is the way to go if you have access.  Otherwise the BGE does a great job at bringing it home.

The BGE is a whole lot less work and the flavor profile difference is not worth the stick challenge unless you really want to go there-which I do but not all the time. FWIW-
    Thanks for lookin-
    Stay healthy and safe out there-

Nice bark!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Now I want brisket 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

Chicken, garbanzo salad, and green beans.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• lousubcap
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @Wolfpack - that steak is a thing of beauty.  Way to maximize the window of opportunity. I doubt your wife and daughters will get close even in NYC. Better to be lucky than good, any day.  Enjoy...
    As Aretha Franklin would say-at around 38 seconds in "Freedom..."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq-TMgh2Dtw

Edit- curious the NYC attraction as that hook is very powerful but not for the faint of heart. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Wife and daughters are enjoying a girls weekend in NYC. My son is spending the night out with some friends.  So, what’s better than a martini, steak and a nice Cab in front of the TV watching a little James Bond. Nice relaxing evening- too bad it’s not Friday. 

That meal right there is a thing of beauty. Cheers
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    A rack of St. Louis spares...

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @dbCooper - great color and finish right there.  Nailed 'em.