Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best whole beef tenderloin recipe

Options
Am going to cook for a crowd on July 1st. Father-in-law has asked for a whole beef tenderloin for his birthday/Canada Day. 

Anyone got a killer recipe? The APL one is a standard in the family, so although it’s great, I’m looking for something different.

Contemplating doing it sous vide, which is rarely employed in my circle. 

Thanks, all. 

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,625
    Options
    I think tenderloin always benefits from a little smoke.  I’m not sure SV adds much to something so tender.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,625
    Options
    Beef Wellington?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    Legume said:
    I think tenderloin always benefits from a little smoke.  I’m not sure SV adds much to something so tender.

I concur, Carry.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Since beef Wellington has been mentioned-

https://youtu.be/e9YGQ4eh8Xs

This has been on my list for some time. I bet it will be a hit. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Paging @YukonRon.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I was just listening to the most recent Cooking Issues podcast on my way into work this morning and Dave Arnold said he doesn't recommend  low temping (souse vide) Beef Tenderloin. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Season simply (I use S&P). Set BGE up for reverse sear indirect til 10-15 below preferred final temp with light smoke. Pull. Rest. Set up BGE for direct and get up to 500+. Sear on each side for color and crust - about 1 minute a side. Pull. Rest. Serve with preferred side/topping (Mushrooms and/or “Cliff Sauce” my preference). 
    South SLO County
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Paging @YukonRon.  
    We do a tenderloin smoked with pecan, to a center internal of 135°F. The ends typically get higher ITs. Pull and let sit loosely wrapped. Prepped with 2:1 coarse ground black pepper corns and kosher salt, then add some Sid’s Sure Shot Gunpowder, and a little garlic.

I also make a blue cheese sriracha sauce served with it. Normally for large crowds we make tenderloin sliders, using Kings Hawaiian Roles with the sauce. Turns out excellent, with little or no trouble.

Best of luck, and thank you Frank for mentioning me.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, all. 

LOVE the beef Wellington idea, though given we live in a climate with all of the seasons, rings a little more like a winter cook to me. 

Might be best to just S&P before searing and bringing it up to temp, then elevate with a sauce. Chimichurri could be an idea too. Festive and summery. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

LOVE the beef Wellington idea, though given we live in a climate with all of the seasons, rings a little more like a winter cook to me. 

Might be best to just S&P before searing and bringing it up to temp, then elevate with a sauce. Chimichurri could be an idea too. Festive and summery. 
    I bet that raita sauce @caliking has would go quite well with a BT.  He served it up with lamb but it’s awfully good, with some heat.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited June 2022
    Options
    By the time it is ready, a whole beef tenderloin cooked sous vide would be too “mushy” for my taste.

Since you want to try something different, my recommendation would be to make a béarnaise sauce to serve with the beef.

You can cook the veggies sous vide, some nice honey glazed carrots with a balsamic reduction would make a nice side!  If you serve a salad, I would go with a simple oil/vinegar dressing rather than something creamy.

Options
    Sous vide would be fine as a hot-tub technique before searing it, but I agree with paqman that, in my experience, it's plenty tender and it would get weird with a long sous vide to tenderize.  By weird I mean unlike what you would expect, possibly in a negative way.
    Options
    I’ll go against the grain here….sous vide it. 128-134° for 3-4 hours. Salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and garlic powder. Re-apply post removal from water bath. Scorching sear on BGE or a very hot gasser. Not mushy, also allows everything else to get done while worrying about final sear nearly dead last
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @YukonRon

Tell is more about this blue cheese sriracha sauce. And thanks!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I have made this one multiple times, but use the egg to grill the tenderloin. The basil mayo provides a very complementary salty/creamy topping that is unique and extremely memorable. 

Greensboro, NC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options

I bet that raita sauce @caliking has would go quite well with a BT.  He served it up with lamb but it’s awfully good, with some heat.

killer with the ground lamb kofta kabobs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations - in case you want to try it. Of course, there are all kinds of ways to tweak it. 

Mint Cilantro Raita-ish Sauce

Yogurt 2 cups (use Greek if you want it thicker)
    Sour cream 1/4 - 1/2 cup
    Cilantro 2 bunches
    Mint several stems/sprigs
    Thai chiles 4-8
    Garlic several cloves
    Juice and zest of 1 lime
    Sugar 1tsp
    Salt to taste

Blitz it all together in a blender or food processor. Add more sour cream depending on how creamy you want it to be. 

Vitamix/Blendtecs get hot! Consider adding an ice cube or 2 to keep the mix cool. 

• fishlessman
    Options
    caliking said:
    @GrateEggspectations - in case you want to try it. Of course, there are all kinds of ways to tweak it. 

Sour cream 1/4 - 1/2 cup
    Cilantro 2 bunches
    Thai chiles 4-8
    Garlic several cloves
    Juice and zest of 1 lime
    Sugar 1tsp
    Salt to taste

Blitz it all together in a blender or food processor. Add more sour cream depending on how creamy you want it to be. 

Vitamix/Blendtecs get hot! Consider adding an ice cube or 2 to keep the mix cool. 

the one i followed had some english cukes and the flowers of chive added in last for a little color but i dont think you can go wrong with this style sauce
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:

Sour cream 1/4 - 1/2 cup
    Cilantro 2 bunches
    Thai chiles 4-8
    Garlic several cloves
    Juice and zest of 1 lime
    Sugar 1tsp
    Salt to taste

the one i followed had some english cukes and the flowers of chive added in last for a little color but i dont think you can go wrong with this style sauce
    This sauce is what I used on a recent pizza I made.  It’s got plenty of color.

• fishlessman
    Options
    caliking said:

Sour cream 1/4 - 1/2 cup
    Cilantro 2 bunches
    Thai chiles 4-8
    Garlic several cloves
    Juice and zest of 1 lime
    Sugar 1tsp
    Salt to taste

This sauce is what I used on a recent pizza I made.  It’s got plenty of color.

i didnt blend mine so fine, but added the chive flowers after the blend.  need to find things to do with them instead of just eating them when walking by. adding cucumber blanches out the color but i did like the flavor. will make calikings version next. looks great on the pie
    fukahwee maine

• caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

Sour cream 1/4 - 1/2 cup
    Cilantro 2 bunches
    Thai chiles 4-8
    Garlic several cloves
    Juice and zest of 1 lime
    Sugar 1tsp
    Salt to taste

Yup. Cukes are commonly added to raita - shredded/grated, or chopped. . This sauce is kind of a hybrid of raita and mint cilantro chutney. Like I said, it can be tweaked all kinds of ways. 

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    It is very easy, this is my recipe. Once made, I add sriracha to taste. I also use this in cole slaw, it is excellent! I usually double the amount of Bleu Cheese, for me personally. 

@GrateEggspectations I hope you may find this useful.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    You could slice it into individual sized steaks, then grill each one.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

Sour cream 1/4 - 1/2 cup
    Cilantro 2 bunches
    Thai chiles 4-8
    Garlic several cloves
    Juice and zest of 1 lime
    Sugar 1tsp
    Salt to taste

Yup. Cukes are commonly added to raita - shredded/grated, or chopped. . This sauce is kind of a hybrid of raita and mint cilantro chutney. Like I said, it can be tweaked all kinds of ways. 
    I don't think cuke means what you think it means.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

Sour cream 1/4 - 1/2 cup
    Cilantro 2 bunches
    Thai chiles 4-8
    Garlic several cloves
    Juice and zest of 1 lime
    Sugar 1tsp
    Salt to taste

The man said cuke, not cuck 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

Sour cream 1/4 - 1/2 cup
    Cilantro 2 bunches
    Thai chiles 4-8
    Garlic several cloves
    Juice and zest of 1 lime
    Sugar 1tsp
    Salt to taste

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    edited June 2022
    Options
    This is my favorite tenderloin cook.

https://food52.com/recipes/18568-steven-raichlen-s-salt-crusted-beef-tenderloin-grilled-in-cloth-lomo-al-trapo

If you are not a Raichlen fan, just ignore that. The recipe is really good.

Recognize that it is easy to overcook as the salt/rag encrusted hot part can act like an oven for a while after it comes off the fire.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    So many good ideas here that I am a bit overwhelmed by the options. 

Thanks, everyone.