Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PK Grill @ Woot

Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Wow, up here it retails at $800 CAD!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    ColtsFan said:
    That's a deal! Retails for $499 here. Ordered!! My wife is going to love this surprise! lol
    Congrats, Lit would welcome you at PK forum.
    canuckland
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I guess you guys will have to tell me what makes them special?  On the "I covet" scale of 1-10, this is maybe a 2 for me.  What am I missing?
    Clinton, Iowa
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    @Langner91 I bought it because it's kewl. It'll be my burger/dog/brat cooker. I can easily load it in a vehicle and take it anywhere
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Langner91
    Gotcha.  It is a cool grill.  I can't wait to see some cooks!  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Langner91 said:
    I guess you guys will have to tell me what makes them special?  On the "I covet" scale of 1-10, this is maybe a 2 for me.  What am I missing?

It's the #1 grill for steak competitions. I'm not too familiar with them but I think the higher end ones have different grid setups that can be beneficial with certain cooks. (This one on Woot may have that.) Again, I'm not all that familiar with them other than they are an excellent grills from what I've read. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Langner91
    That's good to know.  I wonder what makes it good for steak?  Now, I think I need to buy one.  This place!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    They are life long grills too. You will pass them down to your kids/grandkids.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Langner91 said:
    That's good to know.  I wonder what makes it good for steak?  Now, I think I need to buy one.  This place!

I think a good part of it is that they typically sponsor these steak competitions. I was talking with forum member ClayQ last week and he mentioned that his buddy had won the grand championship to become the #1 team in the nation in steak competitions. His buddy started winning comps with a Weber. He eventually switched over to a PK. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Sold out

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    WeberWho said:
    Langner91 said:

It's the #1 grill for steak competitions. I'm not too familiar with them but I think the higher end ones have different grid setups that can be beneficial with certain cooks. (This one on Woot may have that.) Again, I'm not all that familiar with them other than they are an excellent grills from what I've read. 

I believe part of the attraction with the steak cooks is that the rectangular shape makes it easy to set up hot and cool zones. The cooking grid distance above the coals is also useful - not too far, not too close, but just right. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Langner91 said:
    Fat Smoke, you can get it Direct in the Egg as well ...fat dripping smoke = good 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Langner91 said:
    Fortunately, for me and my Credit Card, they sold out.

Right... I had one in my cart and then stopped to think about it and it was gone. My wife would have legit killed me if I brought home my 4th major cooking device in the last 2 months.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    Langner91 said:
    Fortunately, for me and my Credit Card, they sold out.

Right... I had one in my cart and then stopped to think about it and it was gone. My wife would have legit killed me if I brought home my 4th major cooking device in the last 2 months.

Where there some minor cooking devices in addition to the 3 major ones?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I have a PK Original. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it again. At $269.99 the price is more in line with what you get for the money.

The biggest issue I have with the grill is the cooking grid. I have upgraded my grid to stainless steel, It appears that grill still ships with the standard grid. The stainless grid approaches another $100- sadly the stainless grid is low grade and will still rust. You will likely want to replace the charcoal grate at some point, If you go with a stainless, that close to another $100

To my knowledge, unless they have moved production to China on this model, the Original is the only grill that PK builds in the USA.
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    - I also have a PKO got it as a gift about 14 yrs ago. I would buy it again.
    - As @GregW said the racks associated with the grill are the long pole in the tent. Flat out cheaply made. Though mine have not rusted as of yet and that is with heavy use.
    - I would NOT buy the lil-more or cookmore grids. Cheaply made claimed as SS, made in china and mine out of the box were already rusting and the welds were substandard.
    - If interested in adding cooking space I would go with the Hastybake offerings. Either there small or large grill extender. They fit like a glove, better made, more support and are not SS. Use them often in the HB Gourmet and PKO no rust yet.
    - I was on the fence for about 4 years on a charcoal basket. I avoided the PK option and went with the Burn Shop offering. Thing is built like a tank, works great. The adjustable divider is a plus. When I bought mine I asked the owner for a second divider. He tossed it in no charge. I use the two dividers as my "knock off vortex" for the PK.
    - Lastly if you are having issues with embers dropping down on the shelf and worried about a potential fire a poster (PMILLEN) on another forum had a simple solution that I stole. He bought a 5 gal wash tub at Tractor Supply ($11.99). Fits on the shelf between shelf and firebox. Catches all falling ash and embers plus it mitigates wind here on the Chesapeake. Yes it does make lower vent adjustment a bit more diffucult BUT your BGE ash tool works like a champ for that tasks.

6B
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Looked at the PK’s and watched the prices keep going up.  At $999 for a PK 360….I’m thinking a new Hasty Bake might be worth the extra cash?
  • GregW
    edited May 2022
    Looked at the PK’s and watched the prices keep going up.  At $999 for a PK 360….I’m thinking a new Hasty Bake might be worth the extra cash?
    I would go with the Hasty Bake. The PK 360 does not have a significantly larger cooking area compared too the Original. A stainless Hasty Bake would be pretty sweet.
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    - I forgot to mention one last thing about the PKO. 
    - If you go down the Grill Grafe rabbit hole you will become frustrated rather quickly of them slipping and sliding all over the cooking grate. The best solution I seen was a Youtube video by a gent named Alan Heffernan where he builds a frame for the Grill Grates.
    - I was about ready to copy Mr. Heffernan's idea then one day mistakenly put the PKO original cooking grate into the cooker upside down after cleaning. Immediately hit with the "Gomer Pyle Golly" moment. If you install the cooking grate upside down the grate creates a lip (at least on my 14 year old PK) that prevents the Grill Grates from slipping and sliding around.
    - Pretty sure I would not buy the Grill Grates again for the PK. I actually use them more in my HB Gourmet.

6b
  • GregW
    6baluts said:
    - If you go down the Grill Grafe rabbit hole you will become frustrated rather quickly of them slipping and sliding all over the cooking grate. The best solution I seen was a Youtube video by a gent named Alan Heffernan where he builds a frame for the Grill Grates.
    - I was about ready to copy Mr. Heffernan's idea then one day mistakenly put the PKO original cooking grate into the cooker upside down after cleaning. Immediately hit with the "Gomer Pyle Golly" moment. If you install the cooking grate upside down the grate creates a lip (at least on my 14 year old PK) that prevents the Grill Grates from slipping and sliding around.
    - Pretty sure I would not buy the Grill Grates again for the PK. I actually use them more in my HB Gourmet.

6b
    I have Grill Grates on my PK Original- The grates were not a good investment, I would not recommend them, and in fact regret their purchase.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited May 2022
    GregW said:
    6baluts said:

6b
    I have Grill Grates on my PK Original- The grates were not a good investment, I would not recommend them, and in fact regret their purchase.
    It would be much more helpful if you explain why you dislike them instead of negative feedback with no reasoning. Like any product, they need to be used to the advantage of the product, not just running overly hot like a standard cooking grate.
    I have really enjoyed mine after taking the time to use them in a way that best reflects their design. But they are not perfect for every cooking style.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Langner91
    GregW said:
    6baluts said:

6b

The Grill Grates for the PK Original are the same as the Grill Grates for the LBGE, with an additional center panel.  So, you could probably clean them up well and post them for sale here.  

I can't imagine what anyone wouldn't like about them.  They cook well, they can be flipped over for smash burgers, and they don't rust.  I wish I had bought them sooner.  I use mine a lot.

What didn't you like?
    Clinton, Iowa
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Let's get a picture of these grates.
  • GregW
    edited May 2022
    Photo Egg said:
    GregW said:
    6baluts said:

6b
    It would be much more helpful if you explain why you dislike them instead of negative feedback with no reasoning. Like any product, they need to be used to the advantage of the product, not just running overly hot like a standard cooking grate.
    I have really enjoyed mine after taking the time to use them in a way that best reflects their design. But they are not perfect for every cooking style.
  • GregW
    edited May 2022
    GregW said:
    Photo Egg said:
    GregW said:
    6baluts said:

6b
    Sorry, I should have been more specific in what I don't like about the Grill Grates:
    (1) Time consuming to clean
    (2) On my PK Original, the Grill Grates puts the cooking surface above the outside perimeter raised edge on the grill- This makes it very easy to have something roll off the Grill Grates onto the ground.
    (3) The Grill Grate sections come apart too easily. I'm always struggling to keep the sections together.
    (4) When I flip the grates over to cook on the smooth side, the The Grill Grates bars that are now on the bottom, are running parallel with the factory cooking grate bars. The exacerbates the tendency for the the grates to separate, and also make them sit uneven.

I would be a lot happier with the Grill Grate, if it were available as one continuous section, and preferably the Grill Grate bars would be ran perpendicularly to the factory grid bars, this would facilitate flipping the grate over to cook on the smooth side.   

I know a lot of my complaints are probably nitpicking, and there are many very happy grill grate customers.

Hopefully this will clarify my thoughts.
    Respectfully
    Greg 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    For any of you that have a PK please be advised that it makes a spectacular dedicated anus cooker. Second to none for this application. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    After all the comments, I think I’ll pass on a PK and get a Hasty Bake!