Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PK Grill @ Woot

Options
2»

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    GregW said:
    GregW said:
    Photo Egg said:
    GregW said:
    6baluts said:
    - I forgot to mention one last thing about the PKO. 
    - If you go down the Grill Grafe rabbit hole you will become frustrated rather quickly of them slipping and sliding all over the cooking grate. The best solution I seen was a Youtube video by a gent named Alan Heffernan where he builds a frame for the Grill Grates.
    - I was about ready to copy Mr. Heffernan's idea then one day mistakenly put the PKO original cooking grate into the cooker upside down after cleaning. Immediately hit with the "Gomer Pyle Golly" moment. If you install the cooking grate upside down the grate creates a lip (at least on my 14 year old PK) that prevents the Grill Grates from slipping and sliding around.
    - Pretty sure I would not buy the Grill Grates again for the PK. I actually use them more in my HB Gourmet.

6b
    I have Grill Grates on my PK Original- The grates were not a good investment, I would not recommend them, and in fact regret their purchase.
    It would be much more helpful if you explain why you dislike them instead of negative feedback with no reasoning. Like any product, they need to be used to the advantage of the product, not just running overly hot like a standard cooking grate.
    I have really enjoyed mine after taking the time to use them in a way that best reflects their design. But they are not perfect for every cooking style.
    Sorry, I should have been more specific in what I don't like about the Grill Grates:
    (1) Time consuming to clean
    (2) On my PK Original, the Grill Grates puts the cooking surface above the outside perimeter raised edge on the grill- This makes it very easy to have something roll off the Grill Grates onto the ground.
    (3) The Grill Grate sections come apart too easily. I'm always struggling to keep the sections together.
    (4) When I flip the grates over to cook on the smooth side, the The Grill Grates bars that are now on the bottom, are running parallel with the factory cooking grate bars. The exacerbates the tendency for the the grates to separate, and also make them sit uneven.

I would be a lot happier with the Grill Grate, if it were available as one continuous section, and preferably the Grill Grate bars would be ran perpendicularly to the factory grid bars, this would facilitate flipping the grate over to cook on the smooth side.   

I know a lot of my complaints are probably nitpicking, and there are many very happy grill grate customers.

Hopefully this will clarify my thoughts.
    Respectfully
    Greg 
    Thanks, Greg.  Those are all very valid concerns.  It's too bad, because none of those things happen on the egg with the same product.  They are still below the felt line when cooking, and they can be easily installed perpendicular to the cooking grid. 

As for cleaning, I figure that's what god made fire for.  I don't clean mine, except to wipe them when I put them away.  And, probably because mine have a layer of "carbon" on them, they don't come apart as easily as you describe.  I can pick mine up and they stay together.  I can get them apart, but I have to articulate the joint to get them apart.

It sounds like I would be frustrated with them on a PK, too.  I am going to make smash burgers on them tonight and be glad I didn't pull the trigger on the PK.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    FWIW, I used 2/3 sections of my grill grates for my egg on the PK and they worked fine. No issues. 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    FWIW, I used 2/3 sections of my grill grates for my egg on the PK and they worked fine. No issues. 

That is the best way I've found to use the grate on the PK 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    GregW said:
    GregW said:
    Photo Egg said:
    GregW said:
    6baluts said:
    - If you go down the Grill Grafe rabbit hole you will become frustrated rather quickly of them slipping and sliding all over the cooking grate. The best solution I seen was a Youtube video by a gent named Alan Heffernan where he builds a frame for the Grill Grates.
    - I was about ready to copy Mr. Heffernan's idea then one day mistakenly put the PKO original cooking grate into the cooker upside down after cleaning. Immediately hit with the "Gomer Pyle Golly" moment. If you install the cooking grate upside down the grate creates a lip (at least on my 14 year old PK) that prevents the Grill Grates from slipping and sliding around.
    - Pretty sure I would not buy the Grill Grates again for the PK. I actually use them more in my HB Gourmet.

6b
    I have Grill Grates on my PK Original- The grates were not a good investment, I would not recommend them, and in fact regret their purchase.
    It would be much more helpful if you explain why you dislike them instead of negative feedback with no reasoning. Like any product, they need to be used to the advantage of the product, not just running overly hot like a standard cooking grate.
    I have really enjoyed mine after taking the time to use them in a way that best reflects their design. But they are not perfect for every cooking style.
    Sorry, I should have been more specific in what I don't like about the Grill Grates:
    (2) On my PK Original, the Grill Grates puts the cooking surface above the outside perimeter raised edge on the grill- This makes it very easy to have something roll off the Grill Grates onto the ground.
    (3) The Grill Grate sections come apart too easily. I'm always struggling to keep the sections together.
    (4) When I flip the grates over to cook on the smooth side, the The Grill Grates bars that are now on the bottom, are running parallel with the factory cooking grate bars. The exacerbates the tendency for the the grates to separate, and also make them sit uneven.

I would be a lot happier with the Grill Grate, if it were available as one continuous section, and preferably the Grill Grate bars would be ran perpendicularly to the factory grid bars, this would facilitate flipping the grate over to cook on the smooth side.   

I know a lot of my complaints are probably nitpicking, and there are many very happy grill grate customers.

Respectfully
    Greg 
    All good points. Appreciate your follow up. Thanks 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    GregW said:
    GregW said:
    Photo Egg said:
    GregW said:
    6baluts said:

6b

Respectfully
    Greg 
    I cook at about 15 SCA events a year, the PK is nice because it is very portable, built like a tank, and simple to use. I use the kick ash basket (the one from the Burn Shop is very nice but heavy) and Grill Grates (because they make very nice grill marks). I connected the Grill Grates to the original grid with stainless steel zip ties. No sliding around and separating. The grill grate brush and a painters tool keep them clean between cooks. Every couple of months, I spray a heavy coat of degreaser, pit them is a trash bag and take them to the car wash.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    GregW said:
    GregW said:
    Photo Egg said:
    GregW said:
    6baluts said:

6b

Respectfully
    Greg 
    I cook at about 15 SCA events a year, the PK is nice because it is very portable, built like a tank, and simple to use. I use the kick ash basket (the one from the Burn Shop is very nice but heavy) and Grill Grates (because they make very nice grill marks). I connected the Grill Grates to the original grid with stainless steel zip ties. No sliding around and separating. The grill grate brush and a painters tool keep them clean between cooks. Every couple of months, I spray a heavy coat of degreaser, pit them is a trash bag and take them to the car wash.
    Great ideas!  If I ever see a PK for $269 again, that baby's mine!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Grill grates look pretty gimmicky to me. What's wrong with the grates that comes with the grill. All I see are grates on top of grates 
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 272
    Options
    - Like @apbgwolf mentioned most folks wire the Grill Grates to the original cooking grate.
    - Here is a link to the video I mentioned above. Yes it is a PK360 in the video but the same applies to a PKO. Additional benefits of this solution is you are not wired to the original cooking grate thus you have its full usage and it simplifies Grill Grate storage. 
    https://youtu.be/IlTFiZtPRuY
    - Another individual who I met on another forum ground down the 4 tabs that are cast into the lower clam shell. This lowered the original cooking grate sufficiently to create a lip that prevented the Grill Grates from flopping around when placing them on the original cooking grate.
    - My work around which may not work for you especially if you have to reload briqs or lump is to just insert the PKO's original cooking grate upside down on the 4 tabs cast into the lower clamshell and then place the Grill Grates on top of the cooking grate. By inserting the cooking grate in upside down this creates a lip that prevents the Grill Grates from sliding around. At least on my 14 yr old PKO.
    - I was intially going to Tig weld me a frame together like in the video, then I started using the Grill Grates in my HB Gourmet and held off. I will most like Tig a frame together just for the ease of storage aspect.

6B
  • Ton_Til
    Ton_Til Posts: 85
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

Im not sure I would like the original since the ashes just fall out. Besides that im sure its a great grill. There is a guy Craig Tabor (BigGreenCraig) that sells these little metal triangles that go over the vents to stop the ash from just falling out. His store is playing with fire BBQ emporium. If you can find a used PK360 its the best grill I have ever found but not sure its worth the $1k price tag (Im still trying to buy a brisket). Happy Friday. 
  • Ton_Til
    Options
    After all the comments, I think I’ll pass on a PK and get a Hasty Bake!
    Find a used PK360 it doesnt have any issues I have found. 
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited May 2022
    Options
    @Ton_Til …The Aaron Franklin PK 300 would match my new Polywood deck chairs nicely!  It’s $749 from Home Depot.  Or is the PK360 worth another $250?
  • Ton_Til
    edited May 2022
    Options
    @Ton_Til …The Aaron Franklin PK 300 would match my new Polywood deck chairs nicely!  It’s $749 from Home Depot.  Or is the PK360 worth another $250?
    I looked at the Franklin one at Atlanta Grill Company and did not like how the bottom vents on the inside only open to the inside. Looked like it could block airflow from ash falling on long cooks. The 360 has 3 raised covered vents on each side so you dont have to worry about that. I see used ones on marketplace like $5-600 range in my area pretty often. Not sure its worth $1k but its a way better grill than a BGE IMO. Nice even heat. Nice set up you have there.