Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak and Taters

Found a little treat at the local H-E-B tonight and figured we could whip something up. 

Wagyu Picaña, roared tri color potatoes, asparagus with Asiago, lemon zest, and garlic, and chimichurri. 

I salted it an hour before I seared it

then threw it in the freezer for 30 min so I could render the fat cap without cooking the steak

Rendering the fat cap on inverted grill grates 

Fat caps rendered

Blast seared for 1:30 a side

The chimi (above) 

Below is chimi as board sauce, steaks left to rest over the chimi, and a little
mor spooned over the top

It was good.
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,354
    My shrimp tacos seem inadequate after seeing this. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• then threw it in the freezer for 30 min so I could render the fat cap without cooking the steak
    Super neat technique. Where did you pick that up? What proteins and cuts do you use it for?

Gorgeous cook. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Geebus man.  You have clearly out grown us.  That is farkin phenomenal.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Absolutely beautiful…!!!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,416
    Love this cook. Even more because I just ordered 2 picana from SRF
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    This is pure magic from start to finish!!!! Great post.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    Good living man. We are going hard in the paint on some asparagus too.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 934
    Damned that's sweet .... every single picture.

Never heard the term "board sauce" before.  It's better than the term "under my meat sauce", which is probably what I would have gone with. 

Ybabpmuts 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Dang.  Hit that cook right outta the park.  Great pics and the $$ shot...
    Better to be lucky than good with that steak find.  You hover around HEB much??   :#
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I'd hit that!

Love the technique for rendering the fat cap. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,078
    Just great, all the way around!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA

• then threw it in the freezer for 30 min so I could render the fat cap without cooking the steak
    Super neat technique. Where did you pick that up? What proteins and cuts do you use it for?

Gorgeous cook. 
    Thank you! I just thought up the freezer trick on the spot last night. The fat cap was really thick on one of them so I figured it would cook the steak before I could get it rendered properly. I thought if I started really cold, I would have a better chance to get it right. It worked. 
  • My shrimp tacos seem inadequate after seeing this. 
    Tacos are never inadequate 
  • Geebus man.  You have clearly out grown us.  That is farkin phenomenal.
    You have clearly out grown us. 

Never! 
  • lousubcap said:
    Dang.  Hit that cook right outta the park.  Great pics and the $$ shot...
    Better to be lucky than good with that steak find.  You hover around HEB much??   :#
    Janell never goes in anymore. She always does curbside. I like going in. Never know what you are going to find :).

I have also learned, being in a very busy tourist area, Fridays are insane at our HEB. All the tourist come in on Fridays and stock up for the weekend, HEB loads the meat counters with great stuff on Thursdays in anticipation of the masses coming in to drop their hard earned cash on a great cut of meat. 
  • lousubcap
    BTW- the Fredricksburg HEB is the only HEB I have been in.  That was June 2019 during the brief tourist part of the brisket bender.  That meat department is impressive.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Crushin' it right there.  
  • Ybabpmuts
    I had to give up my salsa vault in the great tomato deficit of the last century. Three little old wrinkled Italian women were banging on my door with a pitchfork and one had a phallus shaped thing that looked like an obscene french rolling pin. It was scary. One can only guess that you knew how to fight off a rolling pin. Good for you sir, and your salsa vault.

Ybabpmuts 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Fantastic cook, your posts are always so inspiring!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited May 2022
    lousubcap said:
    BTW- the Fredricksburg HEB is the only HEB I have been in.  That was June 2019 during the brief tourist part of the brisket bender.  That meat department is impressive.  
    For being in a small town, we are really lucky to have such a great store. They aren’t all like this. Most of the small town stores don’t get too far away from the basics. 

being able to grab wagyu steaks, great wine, cheese, and produce in a town of 10,000 people is a luxury for sure. 
  • smbishop said:
    Fantastic cook, your posts are always so inspiring!
    I think I missed my calling as a menu writer for overpriced restaurants. It really is just steak and taters after you remove all the fluff. 
  • Ybabpmuts
    Wait ... you used fluff? I didn't see it and I live really close to the fluff factory. I think at this point most of my nose ears now have fluff in them, you should smell the trees around here, and everything else, come to think of it... It's like fluffapalooza 24/7. I have three cousins that wear charcoal underpants on their faces. They hate sweets apparently. I'm not saying it's related .. what I'm saying is this .... If you do take away all the fluff ... please take me with you AND the fluff.

Ybabpmuts 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    lousubcap said:
    For being in a small town, we are really lucky to have such a great store. They aren’t all like this. Most of the small town stores don’t get too far away from the basics. 

being able to grab wagyu steaks, great wine, cheese, and produce in a town of 10,000 people is a luxury for sure. 
    HEB's MO is to know the neighborhood they're operating in, and customize some portion of their inventory accordingly. 

Different stores around here can really vary (in a great way). And, they've really stepped up their beef game in recent years. A new store opened up right by work, on the feeder road to get back home, so I'm excited about the potential. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    simply beautimus cook!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Awesome cook!! Looks great!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Nailed it as always !! 

( avatar is creeping me out lol )
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Found a little treat at the local H-E-B tonight and figured we could whip something up. 

Wagyu Picaña, roared tri color potatoes, asparagus with Asiago, lemon zest, and garlic, and chimichurri. 

I salted it an hour before I seared it

then threw it in the freezer for 30 min so I could render the fat cap without cooking the steak

Rendering the fat cap on inverted grill grates 

Fat caps rendered

Blast seared for 1:30 a side

The chimi (above) 

Below is chimi as board sauce, steaks left to rest over the chimi, and a little
    mor spooned over the top

It was good.
    Got to believe it was way better than just good. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow