Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fatside up or fatside down

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
Just saw an online survey. Fatside up was an over 2:1 preference. What say you, I will get some popcorn.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Depends on the heat source for me, offset fat up, gravity fat down my 2 cents 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Yep- the source is the driver.  For me BGE is fat down- @Foghorn runs cap up.
    Whatever works.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Depends on the heat source for me, offset fat up, gravity fat down my 2 cents 

Yep.  Fat cap facing the heat source.
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    there is no fat cap on our way over priced brisket. second grill over the brisket gets a fat cap
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Fat side MUST be oriented towards BGE HQ. 😂
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Depends on the brand of lump you use.
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    there is a cap on this one but not much.....it goes on the outside

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bellavista52
    Options
    Agree with fat side facing heat source.
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Always fat down on the Egg.  However, I’ve been wanting to try the foil boat brisket thing so for that I’ll go fat side up.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    Crockpot fat side up
    Bro, if you’re not using an instant pot, you’re behind.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    A Friday thread if ever I did see one. 

A third option for consideration- complete fat cap removal. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Put that with April First and you may hear that Coach K has resigned immediately so his successor can get run time in an NCAA Semi-final.  Just sayin!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    Options
    Fatside up for me
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Do you sleep on top of your blanket, or under it?  That's how I look at it.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    For years I always did fat side up ... didn't even consider otherwise.  Then, on whim, I tried fat side down.  I was amazed at the difference and haven't cooked fat side up since.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Depends on the brand of lump you use.
    Rockwood

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Put that with April First and you may hear that Coach K has resigned immediately so his successor can get run time in an NCAA Semi-final.  Just sayin!
    Think it is going to be like Woden’s last year, they will make sure coach K gets the win no matter what.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Cap up unless it’s SRF. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    flip!

Options
    Who cares, wrap it in bacon…..

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Yep.  Fat toward the heat - WHICH IS ON THE TOP.  If you set the egg up properly the heat rises around the brisket and reaches the dome.  The temperature that the meat on the bottom is seeing is lower than that of the meat that is facing the dome.  If you are putting your fat down because the brisket is in the direct heat flow from below you are doing it wrong.

Rant over - and tongue is mostly in cheek.  But I do cook it with the fat side up for the reasons mentioned above.
    Brisket?  I thought we were discussing butt!  Does it make a difference? Maybe only on April 1?  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Ive always gone fat down, even in my offest (though I do have a reverse flow)  because the conductive heat coming off the grates always damage my meat. I prefer to let the fat take that heat. But when I wrap in butcher paper I always flip it anyhow. So really I run roughly 70% fat down and 30% fat up during each cook.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I’m fat on all sides, but I guess the fattest side up?  I think I’m American wagyu. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    In BGE, definitely fat side down ... fat is your heat shield (even if you are cooking indirect).
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Ive always gone fat down, even in my offest (though I do have a reverse flow)  because the conductive heat coming off the grates always damage my meat. I prefer to let the fat take that heat. But when I wrap in butcher paper I always flip it anyhow. So really I run roughly 70% fat down and 30% fat up during each cook.
    Tons of radiant heat on a reverse flow from the bottom , I would concur fat down VS up on that setup
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Yep.  Fat toward the heat - WHICH IS ON THE TOP.  If you set the egg up properly the heat rises around the brisket and reaches the dome.  The temperature that the meat on the bottom is seeing is lower than that of the meat that is facing the dome.  If you are putting your fat down because the brisket is in the direct heat flow from below you are doing it wrong.

Rant over - and tongue is mostly in cheek.  But I do cook it with the fat side up for the reasons mentioned above.
    I second this.