Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    edited March 2022
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Plotting trajectories to strength surfaces, in principal stress space (projection onto sigma_3):

The green surface is our best guess of what the strength surface for this material could be.  The blue, red, and yellow lines correspond to an analysis of three different specimens of a notched Aluminum material.  The points where they end are where the specimens all failed.  The fact that they just touch the surface seems to indicate that failure is being governed by strength in this case, as opposed to energetics.   

What method is employed to cause failure?   Is this metal forming?  Metal cutting? Abrasive testing? Temperature testing?   Other?  I'm just curious as in my past, I did FEA on the feasibility of proposed tooling to produce automotive parts.  I'd evaluate. . . Er the computer would evaluate if a proposed forming process would result in product fracture or excessive thinning.  I enjoyed it.  
    Here we are performing simple 3-point bend tests of beam-shaped specimens.  What we're doing is enhancing our understanding of crack nucleation vs propagation.  It turns out they seem to be governed by fairly different physics.  

We use FEA for the calculations, and compare results to experiments conducted at a lab in Tel Aviv.  I actually teach a couple of different graduate courses on linear and non-linear FEA here at Duke.  
    Out of curiosity, how do you control the surface finish on your specimens?  You theoretical data matches the empirical data so closely, you must be doing a pretty spectacular job of controlling the variables, surface finish, in my mind, being one of the critical ones.
    Well really the match here is a result of the fact that the problem is over-driven.  The notch creates a highly localized stress field.  

They may do something in the lab at Tel Aviv to polish the surface within the notch, I’m not sure.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

kl8ton said:
    Plotting trajectories to strength surfaces, in principal stress space (projection onto sigma_3):

The green surface is our best guess of what the strength surface for this material could be.  The blue, red, and yellow lines correspond to an analysis of three different specimens of a notched Aluminum material.  The points where they end are where the specimens all failed.  The fact that they just touch the surface seems to indicate that failure is being governed by strength in this case, as opposed to energetics.   

What method is employed to cause failure?   Is this metal forming?  Metal cutting? Abrasive testing? Temperature testing?   Other?  I'm just curious as in my past, I did FEA on the feasibility of proposed tooling to produce automotive parts.  I'd evaluate. . . Er the computer would evaluate if a proposed forming process would result in product fracture or excessive thinning.  I enjoyed it.  
    Here we are performing simple 3-point bend tests of beam-shaped specimens.  What we're doing is enhancing our understanding of crack nucleation vs propagation.  It turns out they seem to be governed by fairly different physics.  

We use FEA for the calculations, and compare results to experiments conducted at a lab in Tel Aviv.  I actually teach a couple of different graduate courses on linear and non-linear FEA here at Duke.  
    Out of curiosity, how do you control the surface finish on your specimens?  You theoretical data matches the empirical data so closely, you must be doing a pretty spectacular job of controlling the variables, surface finish, in my mind, being one of the critical ones.
    Are you suggesting microvoid coalescencence is purely a function of crystaline structure abnormalities in non-amorphic solids?

Options
    Because f*ck if I know.
    Options
    kl8ton said:

I just feel inferior 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options

kl8ton said:

Are you suggesting microvoid coalescencence is purely a function of crystaline structure abnormalities in non-amorphic solids?

No, he’s asking why there doesn’t appear to be much of a stochastic element to the data, because with strength there typically is.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

kl8ton said:

No, he’s asking why there doesn’t appear to be much of a stochastic element to the data, because with strength there typically is.
    Duh.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Our FEA was usually run with worst case scenario specs. Steel manufacturers had a range of what they could produce given a certain material callout. We ran stimulation at lowest grade.  

Forming thru a notch can prove problematic,  but keeping trim details with 3d shape on them sharp is very expensive.  

If we started having problems after hard tooling was made, we would send out the material for analysis to make sure it was what it was supposed to be.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Sitting on an oceanfront balcony in St. Augustine Beach watching the waves, the pelicans, and tortoise copulation...
    surface finish
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Being driven nuts by a customer and thinking about whether I should look for a new job.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Being driven nuts by a customer and thinking about whether I should look for a new job.
    Every time I get a new job/career, the customers always find me!  Good luck with your decision.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited March 2022
    Options

kl8ton said:

This exactly, the fact that the three data points shown land on the theoretical curve is extremely impressive.  From the material properties of the specimen to the quality of machining is impressive.  These data sets usually seem to come with all the caveats and explanations.  Even the best sets have a noticable distribution.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • MediumRarely
    Options

That looks beautiful, but a bit like a rough crowd.  Having to rope off the pianist and all.  That reminds me of the metal cages around bands in dive bars.

Patrick Swayze, Road House - not.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

That looks beautiful, but a bit like a rough crowd.  Having to rope off the pianist and all.  That reminds me of the metal cages around bands in dive bars.

Lol!!  That is exactly the movie I was envisioning.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

Blues Brothers for me... "rawhide!".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options

I was thinking of this:

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Kayak said:

I was thinking of this:

Haha!  Never seen Taxi, but looks like a good show.  Especially with Doc Brown in it.

Here is a Youtube chanel I very much enjoy:

https://youtu.be/ehQb3zQkUIc
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Only hit one dive bar.

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options

You sir are living large and are truly blessed. What did the family think of the pianist?
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

Only hit one dive bar.

Wow!!  We have a different idea of dive bar!  That looks very nice.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Minor league hockey

We just built a new arena for our AHL team. They are supposed to open the building for hockey the first week of April. Pretty excited to go watch a game there. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 840
    Options
    Minor league hockey

We just built a new arena for our AHL team. They are supposed to open the building for hockey the first week of April. Pretty excited to go watch a game there. 
    Kids had a blast, forgot how much action there is in hockey which really keeps the kids attention. The company my wife’s sister and B-I-L work for owns the team and snagged free tickets. Staying at a hotel north of Naples, per @saluki2007 I’ve been paying attention to vehicles down here. They have not disappointed, BMW i8 roadster, Bentleys, corvettes are common, and stuff I don’t know what it is other than expensive.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    My form of meditation.