Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Amount of Food we eat

emilluca
emilluca Posts: 673
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
As I typed earlier I have had Gastric Bypass Surgery and then one thing that was a great surprise to me was for 6 weeks all i could eat was 2 ounces of food. Yes my stomach was reduced to the size of an egg so I felt fuller then I ever have after taking 20 minutes to eat 2 ounces. By the way that is the size of the dose cup on top of Tylenol cough and cold.
It was that I did not die of starvation.
I did have to take vitamin supplements to keep healthy.
Most comment about do not restrict so much what you eat but how much.
Keep as close to the way it grew as possible. Refined product is full of stuff we do not need.
Whole grains, wild rice or oats. Poultry that is not full of growth hormones. Same with pork and beef.
Try to stop refined sugars use natural sweeteners [honey for one] Honey that comes from the area you live helps with allergy problems.
This is enough for now.
E

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    How is the journey going - over a decade later?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Out of curiosity, how did you stumble upon this post? 
    Snellville, GA

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited January 2022
    OP hasn’t been active on the forum since 2012, not likely to get an answer. 

Edit to add: hopefully he or she is doing well.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    Out of curiosity, how did you stumble upon this post? 
    I was looking through all the different categories.  Halloween costumes,  veggies, vegetarians, etc.  Then I saw the weight loss section and clicked on it.  At the bottom I clicked last.  I felt bad nobody responded.  I know it is a looooong shot, but wondered how OP was doing. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Haha nice. There is a lot of great content buried in the forum. 
    Snellville, GA

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,418
    Historically, those who have gastric bypass shed weight rapidly and keep it off….until their stomach starts to stretch. My dad had the balloon version of this done. Dropped 75# in about 6 months. He put 40 of it back on through various platforms such as Miller Lite and big meals. Same results as those who jump on and off of Ideal Protein, Optivia, or any other supplement plan. It works until the user stops making it work. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    This gal I see has a sister who had gastric bypass in 2016.  She lost a hundred pounds eating 2 oz and taking vitamins to get all the nutrients she needed. She still only eats chicken and turkey for meat, whole grains, no gluten, etc.

Five plus years later, she is bigger than she was then.  I hope @emilluca had better results.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • I bet the OP at least has those allergies licked…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I know more than one person who has eaten their way past a bariatric surgery procedure. It’s harder to that with gastric bypass, easier to do so after lap-band. 

One person figured out that the loophole was milkshakes. Which she then drank. The. Whole. Day. She soon found the weight she had lost. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    I knew a guy who killed himself the day he went home from bypass surgery - stopping to get the whopper and fries did him in.

He was past 400 when I last saw him, and regularly made fun of people much smaller for being fat.

Best thing that ever happened to his wife.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,252
    edited January 2022
    What a sad story, @Kayak. Buddy must have had some serious issues. 

There are many parallels between maintaining one’s happiness and maintaining a healthy body weight. There is no finish line. You don’t achieve it and finish. It requires a continuous, active choice. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    My best weight loss trick was giving up meat and dairy products.
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    What a sad story, @Kayak. Buddy must have had some serious issues. 

There are many parallels between maintaining one’s happiness and maintaining a healthy body weight. There is no finish line. You don’t achieve it and finish. It requires a continuous, active choice. 
    It was a sad story, but didn't start with his death. I don't mean to sound heartless, but in addition to an uncontrollable urge to eat, he refused to do much to support his wife and son. Their trajectory really changed afterwards.

Amen on the constant effort. We are WW lifetimers, but it's a battle to stay under the cut-off for paying Oprah and not eating what I really want to. Every day. Forever.

We just keep focusing on the things we want out of life, that require us to be fit and able to do them.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Eoin said:
    That would definitely work for me, as I think it would kill all desire to eat. 😉
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Eoin said:
    What were a your \ main meals over the past week? 
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    edited January 2022
    I noticed when I used to travel to the US for work , that the portion size at restaurants were huge.   I’d be full just looking at it and usually could not finish.

For those looking to shed some pounds, I recommend the app MyFitnessPal, the free version is fine.   Loose 1 to 2 pounds a week which should prevent more weight gain later.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • EggNorth said:
    I noticed when I used to travel to the US for work , that the portion size at restaurants were huge.   I’d be full just looking at it and usually could not finish.

For those looking to shed some pounds, I recommend the app MyFitnessPal, the free version is fine.   Loose 1 to 2 pounds a week which should prevent more weight gain later.
    Yes, MyFitnessPal worked well for tracking approximations of calorie consumption.
  • Eoin
    Eoin said:
    That would definitely work for me, as I think it would kill all desire to eat. 😉
    I enjoy the vegan food, I'm a good cook and can make vegan meals tasty.
  • Eoin
    Sweet100s said:
    Eoin said:
    What were a your \ main meals over the past week? 
    We usually cook larger quantities and then add in something different to the leftovers. This week we had:
    Brinjal bhaji (aubergine fried in EVOO in a tomato curry sauce).
    Dal
    Patatas bravas
    Spanish bean stew
    Stir fry singapore noodles
    Stir fry veg with wheatberries and beans
    Bolognese with fake mince (I rarely use fake stuff, this was not fake meat but a vegan substitute without fat).
    Roasted veg with herbs.
    Cauliflower curry.
    Roasted spicy tofu.
    Rice / home made roasted fries / pasta etc.

For breakfast I make a fruit and veg smoothie with vegan protein powder added and museli mixed with bran. I skip lunch in the week  I can't be bothered when I'm working and that breakfast does me until I get home anyway.

If you cut dairy and meat and don't eat fake meat stuff, your saturated fat intake will be almost zero. I still use plenty of oil, but nothing saturated. You will find that most sweet stuff includes dairy and/or eggs, so cutting them out removes most of your refined sugar intake as well.

Take care to get enough protein and B12. I take a B12 supplement.

We still have 2 grown boys in the house, so cook some meat for them, plus 1 GF a few nights a week (veggie anyway).

I was 203 lbs (6' 4") this time last year, now 180 lbs. I lost 2  lbs a week at the start, no effort. Then had to try a bit, but stable with little effort now.
  • Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    I enjoy the vegan food, I'm a good cook and can make vegan meals tasty.
    I don’t doubt that. What I was getting at is that any time we embark upon a diet that removes many of our favourite foods, we are bound to lose weight. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,418
    Eat less move more. Simple. Sticking to it not so simple. America is an “obese” country by comparison. Portions are huge. More more more. Self control people