Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dear Buffalo, BGE, and Santa

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Wow, poetry.

If you click 'quote' and attempt to edit the quote, or to click anywhere, you cannot "get out of the quote box" to type your reply.

Sometimes, you just want to highlight part of a quote, or cut out a picture so it isn't so long.  

But, if you do not begin to type right away, you are stuck in the quote box and have to edit using html.

That's why many times a reply to a quote is contained within the quote box.
    This seems to be more of an issue with Android phones. Rarely happens when I'm using my iPhone, but happens somewhat frequently on my Android phone. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I use Chrome on a laptop to access this site.  Maybe it is browser/os/phase of the moon dependent.

Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I use Chrome on a laptop to access this site.  Maybe it is browser/os/phase of the moon dependent.

I do too.  If you ever get stuck in the box, just click on the </> in the upper right corner.  That will switch you over to the HTML and if you start typing outside of the box again there and then click it again, you should be fine.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The_Buffalo  The photo upload/display isn't reading the orientation metadata correctly.
    Options
    Here's a link to a photo on this site I previously posted.  You should be able to see individual grains of pepper in the gravy if you zoom in.  If you zoom in and it just gets pixelated, the it's not working on your device. 

It worked perfectly on my iPhone and now I’m really hungry…
    New Orleans LA
  • Langner91
    Options
    Langner91 said:

I do too.  If you ever get stuck in the box, just click on the </> in the upper right corner.  That will switch you over to the HTML and if you start typing outside of the box again there and then click it again, you should be fine.  
    Um, that was the workaround I posted way up top that started this whole thing. That's what I do.  That's also how I know it isn't "user (mostly) error".  That last "</br>" disappears when you click into the box and edit before typing outside of the box.  Regardless of whether I hit a backspace or delete.

But, thanks for the pointer!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • caliking
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Langner91 said:

Um, that was the workaround I posted way up top that started this whole thing. That's what I do.  That's also how I know it isn't "user (mostly) error".  That last "</br>" disappears when you click into the box and edit before typing outside of the box.  Regardless of whether I hit a backspace or delete.

y'all talk funny

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Langner91 said:

Oh, well if that happens, the fix is also easy.  You just switch over to the html, and then add back in the </div> and  </blockquote>.  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited December 2021
    Options
    caliking said:
    Langner91 said:
    Wow, poetry.

If you click 'quote' and attempt to edit the quote, or to click anywhere, you cannot "get out of the quote box" to type your reply.

Sometimes, you just want to highlight part of a quote, or cut out a picture so it isn't so long.  

But, if you do not begin to type right away, you are stuck in the quote box and have to edit using html.

This seems to be more of an issue with Android phones. Rarely happens when I'm using my iPhone, but happens somewhat frequently on my Android phone. 
    That's interesting. Android user here. There will be times where I start writing something and it kicks me up into the quote box and won't let me get back out. Even when I had no intentions of going inside it. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    How about we just take the quote option away entirely? Just my $.02

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    All I'm asking this year for Christmas is the "Agree" button" back, exploded view for images, and the option to get out of the quoted text box. Please, please, please!!!

Well I'm checking my list (yes, I've done it twice) I can see some of you have been naughty and some have been nice. 

For the images and agree button I will bring what you need...but this "stuck in a quote thing" you'll have to bring me up to speed!

Thank you! @The_Buffalo

That would be much appreciated!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    While we're at it, perhaps showing who clicked the dislike button....anonymous dislikes don't give us any feedback at all given there are miscreants that dislike only on the basis of who the user is and not the actual message.
    would have mitigated all the abuse and them being taken away 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    While we're at it, perhaps showing who clicked the dislike button....anonymous dislikes don't give us any feedback at all given there are miscreants that dislike only on the basis of who the user is and not the actual message.
    Yes, please, @The_Buffalo, if you can, grant this wish too!
  • Langner91
    Options
    dislikes are anonymous?

Hold on fixing that, Ima be right back!

Clinton, Iowa
  • caliking
    Options
    No, please don't. Then it'll show that I "dislike" JIC's posts 10 times daily. Just to keep him from getting those sweet BGE S&P shakers. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    type b here, dont care about most of this but do agree the agree button makes sense
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    caliking said:
    Langner91 said:
    Wow, poetry.

That's interesting. Android user here. There will be times where I start writing something and it kicks me up into the quote box and won't let me get back out. Even when I had no intentions of going inside it. 
    If I can remember to, when I'm on my Android phone, I first type a space (or hit enter) before typing the text of my post. That usually keeps the cursor from getting trapped in the quote box. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    caliking said:
    No, please don't. Then it'll show that I "dislike" JIC's posts 10 times daily. Just to keep him from getting those sweet BGE S&P shakers. 
    You TROLL, YOU!

Options
    caliking said:
    WeberWho said:
    caliking said:
    Langner91 said:
    Wow, poetry.

If I can remember to, when I'm on my Android phone, I first type a space (or hit enter) before typing the text of my post. That usually keeps the cursor from getting trapped in the quote box. 

(Agree)

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    The getting stuck in a quote box is (mostly) user error. 

If you want to prevent that from happening, you need to first provide some text outside of the box.  And then you need to avoid deleting any space between your text outside of the quote box and the quote box itself, because what happens is you end up deleting the underlying html code.  

Realistically, I don't see how the Buffalo can fix this, but he is the magic man so we'll see.  
    Is not knowing the work around really user error?  You sound like a coder.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i would like a nuke button to blow up posts i dont like. its unfair theres only one with a nuke button
    fukahwee maine

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    How about making all PMs appear on users walls?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    How about making all PMs appear on users walls?
    That’s funny, I swear half the forum does that unintentionally as it is.  Maybe it was easier on greeneggers.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

If you want to prevent that from happening, you need to first provide some text outside of the box.  And then you need to avoid deleting any space between your text outside of the quote box and the quote box itself, because what happens is you end up deleting the underlying html code.  

Realistically, I don't see how the Buffalo can fix this, but he is the magic man so we'll see.  
    Well... I suppose a hint here is to observe that there are folks who routinely get caught in the quote box, and then there are those who somehow never get caught.  And then ask yourself if the folks who never get caught all just happen to be coders.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options

Well... I suppose a hint here is to observe that there are folks who routinely get caught in the quote box, and then there are those who somehow never get caught.  And then ask yourself if the folks who never get caught all just happen to be coders.  
    We must have a lot of coders.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    Options
    my superpower must be being able to read a response stuck in a quote box and not being upset about it
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

We must have a lot of coders.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    my superpower must be being able to read a response stuck in a quote box and not being upset about it
    As I understand it, nobody is getting upset about reading these.  People are getting upset about getting stuck in a box.  

When was the last time you were stuck in a box that didn’t belong to Irma Lee at band camp?