Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is up with all the Garlic

Options
Trying to find recipes w/o garlic is a tough challenge. Local places put garlic in tater salad, macNcheese, etc. Garlic is a cover for a **** recipe??? Searching for a good recipe for Salmon on the BGE and most I think put garlic on salmon.  Garlic will just crush salmon. IMHO, the world is to hung up on garlic.   Although I do enjoy a good gb with cheese. 
LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,168
    Options
    Salmon on cedar plank, use mayo, dill, lemon juice.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Here is a simple glaze for salmon, without any garlic:

https://cookingwithruthie.com/2012/07/26/big-green-egg-salmon/

I found it by typing "big green egg salmon" into the Google machine.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I would suggest taking any recipe and just leaving out the garlic. 👍🏻
    That is so obvious brother Prescott that it alludes all but the most astute. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    SGH said:
    That is so obvious brother Prescott that it alludes all but the most astute. 
    🤣
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Garlic is awesome but must be used with caution as to not overpower a dish. To me garlic is the bacon of the aromatics world. It goes with almost everything. That's why so many recipes call for it.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    🤯

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    LOL
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    Thanks All !!!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    caliking said:
    🤯
    Don’t get me wrong King. I have no idea why one would object to garlic. Ever! 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have no idea why one would object to garlic. Ever! 
    I can see his point. Garlic does not go well with anus. It’s to overpowering. All you taste is that garlicky wang. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    SGH said:
    I can see his point. Garlic does not go well with anus. It’s to overpowering. All you taste is that garlicky wang. 
    Garlicky Wang wbagnfarb 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,448
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    SGH said:
    Garlicky Wang wbagnfarb 
    For those who are new here (and return... =) ) @Botch, ( a for this place professional musician)  tossed it out a few years ago.  It is well defined in Urban Dictionary and is appropriate.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I urge everyone to understand how to control the flavor of garlic.  Once you "disturb" garlic by insulting it, cutting, crushing, blending, smashing, or whatevering it, it starts a series of chemical reactions designed to create noxious chemicals that insects hate.   You can control the flavors by how you prep it and cook it and how much garlic you leave undisturbed (like slicing it vs smashing) and how much you rinse, let sit damaged before cooking, and how you cook it (but not too much). 

Garlic can make or break a dish.  If you hate garlic you've probably eaten something with it with too much of the un-tamed byproduct of that chemical reaction or too over-cooked where it's acrid and bitter.  If it's done right, it is like the bacon of the vegetable world (thanks to whoever said that).  Or you just plain hate it.  Or you're a vampire.  Learn to cook, you bloodclots.

Options
    SGH said:
    Sir, I am not sure where to even start with this.

Always start at the tip.
    NOLA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,556
    Options
    A challenge for everyone, check your rub collection and see how many you can find that’s sans garlic. 
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Too much bad garlic, yes.

Salmon cooked over a bed of rosemary.   Cover the grill in a bed of rosemary (direct heat) place a SS cooking tray on top of rosemary, salmon skin side down.  Do not flip,  wait for "milk" to show on salmon.   Glaze using honey, mustard and a pepper paste (for slight heat)   all to taste.   Or skip the glaze and a touch of fresh squeeze lemon.   The salmon will have a nice rosemary influence.  The salmon will pull easily from the skin.   
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    caliking said:
    There is such a thing as “too much garlic”??
    Not for me.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    We cook our salmon covered in Cajun seasoning. Not sure if Cajun seasoning has garlic though
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,801
    Options
    i go through alot of garlic but dont think ive ever put it on fish
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    Options
    Salmon is nasty no matter what's on it.
    Memphis, TN
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,779
    Options
    Roasted garlic for me, like candy 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    Yep, remove the garlic is a quickie ....  But in general  :o
  • fiber_induced_deuce
    Options
    Hansm said:
    Yep, remove the garlic is a quickie ....  But in general  :o
    Total pro move to keep the thread going.
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    caliking said:
    There is such a thing as “too much garlic”??
    As much as I love garlic in almost anything, I do draw the line sometimes. Gilroy, CA, just south of me, is the self proclaimed "Garlic Capitol of the World". The annual Garlic festival features garlic in everything. Including wine and ice cream. Sorry, but no thanks.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • fiber_induced_deuce
    Options
    That’s just carnival food. Not serious.