Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Recreational Drone Recommendations

Options
123457»

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    YEAH ^^^^ I was like oooooooo shheeeeetttt!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Y'all are making it awfully difficult to hold off on buying one of these things.  
    It's a fun hobby to get into. Especially now that the drones are so small and relatively speaking "cheap". Just pay attention to the fly zone maps and don't fly it 2,000ft up near an airport and you are good. I haven't really gone above 400ft yet and I've had a blast with mine. I cannot confirm or deny that the maximum distance I've flown it away was 4miles.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Y'all are making it awfully difficult to hold off on buying one of these things.  
    It's a fun hobby to get into. Especially now that the drones are so small and relatively speaking "cheap". Just pay attention to the fly zone maps and don't fly it 2,000ft up near an airport and you are good. I haven't really gone above 400ft yet and I've had a blast with mine. I cannot confirm or deny that the maximum distance I've flown it away was 4miles.
    I am in the process of getting my part 107 license, if anything I find it all interesting.....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited November 2021
    Options
    First test flight today - clearly it is way past peak fall foliage. I'm also trying to figure out why there is that ripple in the video. After this flight I calibrated the gimbal and it seemed to go away. This was no editing whatsoever - straight from the drone:

https://imgur.com/C2OgaB5

This was taken just by flying the drone straight up 400 ft from the back yard, and then slowly spinning in a circle.

The video quality sucks due to compression for the web.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    edited November 2021
    Options
    CTMike said:
    First test flight today - clearly it is way past peak fall foliage. I'm also trying to figure out why there is that ripple in the video. After this flight I calibrated the gimbal and it seemed to go away. This was no editing whatsoever - straight from the drone:

This was taken just by flying the drone straight up 400 ft from the back yard, and then slowly spinning in a circle.

beauty!

I keep forgetting to hit record, so don't have much....I think I can program to start recording as soon as the blades start 

I would also have no idea how to upload it here 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    CTMike said:

Mike, try reducing the shutter speed.  It should be less than half the frame rate.  60 fps shoot 1/120th second frame rate or faster.

The cause is vibration.

Options
    CTMike said:

Mike, try reducing the shutter speed.  It should be less than half the frame rate.  60 fps shoot 1/120th second frame rate or faster.

The cause is vibration.

Thanks Carey - for this video everything was in Auto so I assumed it would take that in to account. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Tried to get a decent sunset photo from 400', not great obviously.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    That is awesome @CTMike. I expect a update on your neighbors pool next summer. That vibration is weird, make sure everything is snug and your props aren't damaged.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• CTMike
    Options
    Another attempt at a sunset photo - straight out of the camera with no post-processing.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Another attempt at a sunset photo - straight out of the camera with no post-processing.

Nice view 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    CTMike said:

Looks good Mike.  The auto HDR doesn't really make an unprocessed picture look much different than just shooting a single-exposure with limited dynamic range.  But you have so much more to work with in post-processing buried in the file.

When we look outside our window at a scene of contrast, say sun on the lawn and no sun in shadows, our eyes adjust the exposure by dialating.  Can't do that in a picture unless you do it in post processing. 

I look at sussing out HDR like the visual analogy of correcting the Fletcher Munson curve in audio.
    Options
    CTMike said:

Looks good Mike.  The auto HDR doesn't really make an unprocessed picture look much different than just shooting a single-exposure with limited dynamic range.  But you have so much more to work with in post-processing buried in the file.

When we look outside our window at a scene of contrast, say sun on the lawn and no sun in shadows, our eyes adjust the exposure by dialating.  Can't do that in a picture unless you do it in post processing. 

I look at sussing out HDR like the visual analogy of correcting the Fletcher Munson curve in audio.
    Would you be willing to show me what you can do if I send you the RAW file?

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    CTMike said:
    CTMike said:

Sure. What software do you use...photoshop?

Options
    CTMike said:
    CTMike said:

Sure. What software do you use...photoshop?

Yup

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    funny you ask because I'm just getting back into working up some photos because I got a dye sublimation printer.  In fact I just started installing the creative cloud on my computer today.  But I'm a bit rusty.
    Options
    I think I need to clean the gutters, and work on my flying skills:

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,349
    Options
    CTMike said:
    I think I need to clean the gutters, and work on my flying skills:

I just used my drone to check mine this weekend. lol
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I had my roof replaced in 2018.  The guy who did one of the estimates used a drone to show me the condition of my roof.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NQD4FBW/

Do not click the link. It is drone related and on sale. You have been warned. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Some stills from coast trip, from motel parking lot lol

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Nice day out today. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    edited January 2022
    Options
    https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdrDfymu/

hilarious if you’ve seen Interstellar, and maybe even if you haven’t 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike