Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A More Civilized BGE Forum

I just made my first post on this forum and a few of the comments that have been made lead me to believe this isn’t a family website.  Well, not a family I want to be a part of.  At least I was helped in making my decision. 

Is there a BGE forum that is moderated for bad behaviors?  I’m not a prude but I can’t believe some of the comments made.  

I realize someone will say it’s a free country and I can go if I don’t like it.  

Do I have the ability to block certain people.  It’s always just a few that mess things up

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    GeboM said:
    I just made my first post on this forum and a few of the comments that have been made lead me to believe this isn’t a family website.  Well, not a family I want to be a part of.  At least I was helped in making my decision. 

Is there a BGE forum that is moderated for bad behaviors?  I’m not a prude but I can’t believe some of the comments made.  

I realize someone will say it’s a free country and I can go if I don’t like it.  

Do I have the ability to block certain people.  It’s always just a few that mess things up
    Its not a few here. There are probably more troll accounts here than real.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    And @PeteSliver is a troll, a relatively recent one too.  No idea who is actually behind it.  They are not very funny and mostly just obnoxious and annoying.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • I think it stems from JIC ruining the forum, and @thetrim leaving.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    His name was Sliver Pete and we thought him the meanest, ugliest, most cussed hombre that ever packed a gun and it was well known he carried a Colt 45. He didn't much like to work, was a cowpoke a few months out of the year and the rest of the time he played and cheated at cards and killed anybody who called him on it. Then for recreation or just pure spite he killed every sheriff that ever tried to arrest him. There wasn't a soul that didn't fear Sliver Pete, even my Father.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2021
    I just read past the first few posts of the thread in question. @PeteSliver was actually one of the nicer folks.  I kind of want to leave now too, except I am so close to earning a new BGE with my points.

I did kind of get a kick out of the solid helpful responses mixed in with the trash.  A funny juxtaposition.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    His name was Sliver Pete and we thought him the meanest, ugliest, most cussed hombre that ever packed a gun and it was well known he carried a Colt 45. He didn't much like to work, was a cowpoke a few months out of the year and the rest of the time he played and cheated at cards and killed anybody who called him on it. Then for recreation or just pure spite he killed every sheriff that ever tried to arrest him. There wasn't a soul that didn't fear Sliver Pete, even my Father.
    https://youtu.be/MmxKsK90L14
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    The ole forum ain’t what it used to be for sure!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    edited November 2021
    I think it stems from JIC ruining the forum, and @thetrim leaving.
    Don’t forget @DoubleEgger
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GeboM
    GeboM Posts: 9
    Thanks for the legitimate responses.  I'll hang for a while but I'm used to another smoking forum where the moderator runs a tight ship down in Carolina. IMHO, he's probably a little too hard on posters but he doesn't put up with any junk.  I respect him for that.

I realize I may be weak minded but just from my two posts I am not as
    hip on the BGE.  Sad, ain't it?  From a first time poster's perspective this forum
    will turn people away from BGE.  It's good for KJ or Primo....

Maybe that's what some of these "people" are trying to do.

I got a PM today from someone here that knows me from another forum and he warned me about this forum.  I didn't believe him at first. Oh man, was he correct.

Maybe, in time, I can figure out who is legit and just PM them and not post in the open forum???
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    greeneggers.com has better behavior but they are down to about 7 posters, 3 posts a day, and the site has been down for about a week. thinking it finally kicked the bucket. it used to be like this forum before big green egg corporate took it over
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    GeboM said:
    Thanks for the legitimate responses.  I'll hang for a while but I'm used to another smoking forum where the moderator runs a tight ship down in Carolina. IMHO, he's probably a little too hard on posters but he doesn't put up with any junk.  I respect him for that.

hip on the BGE.  Sad, ain't it?  From a first time poster's perspective this forum

I got a PM today from someone here that knows me from another forum and he warned me about this forum.  I didn't believe him at first. Oh man, was he correct.

Maybe, in time, I can figure out who is legit and just PM them and not post in the open forum???
    This forum definitely is not for everyone.  It is like a highschool, a bar, a church, and a prison all rolled into one.  I have sworn it off and quit many times, but I keep coming back.  Not sure that is a good thing 😂
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    GeboM said:

Your best bet is to look at the what are you cheffing now thread. Lots of good cooks and we keep the trolling out of that for the most part. This forum has gone way down hill in the last couple years mostly due to like 5 people and 50 troll accounts they have. They text each other back and forth like little school
    girls about the forum. Many people including myself wish the moderator would get rid of these guys but truth be told they would just create more accounts so its not really worth it to them to moderate.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @GeboM- @Foghorn captured the essence of this place in masterful fashion.  That said, it is rightly disappointing to roll in here and get that blast on the first go-round.  
    I will offer "welcome aboard"  fully but understand if you decide to leave.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GeboM
    GeboM Posts: 9
    edited November 2021
    Thank you!  I have lived a long time but this is the first forum where I have witnessed comments that go beyond normal human communication.  Some of yalls PM's and such have helped.  Sorta like watching a movie that every other work is F___K.  You hate it but you sorta get used to it to the point you may can ignore it.  Apparently, this type of posting is normal here.  LOL
    I had no idea such people existed outside of treatment centers or confinement.
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Really, be encouraging
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Lit said:
    GeboM said:

Your best bet is to look at the what are you cheffing now thread. Lots of good cooks and we keep the trolling out of that for the most part. This forum has gone way down hill in the last couple years mostly due to like 5 people and 50 troll accounts they have. They text each other back and forth like little school
    girls about the forum. Many people including myself wish the moderator would get rid of these guys but truth be told they would just create more accounts so its not really worth it to them to moderate.
    ☝  This 100%

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    GeboM said:
    I just made my first post on this forum and a few of the comments that have been made lead me to believe this isn’t a family website.  Well, not a family I want to be a part of.  
    First and foremost, welcome aboard. Before you decide to leave I encourage you to give the forum a chance. I know the trolling and nonsense can get old. However if you hang around you will discover a wealth of information on just about anything. 
    This is one of the only places where you can ask a question related to almost anything and get an correct answer. You can also get over the phone and in person help on just about any topic. Few other places can say the same. 
    Again, try to overlook the nonsense and rhetoric if you can. I think in the end you will be glad that you hung around. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Just some food for thought. Besides cooking advice you can get professional butchery and power shaving advice here. Free off charge. That alone is worth putting up with the trolls. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    EGGjlmh said:
    Lit said:
    GeboM said:

☝  This 100%
    Takes some balls to call an airstrike on your own location, congrats.

(disclaimer: I don't personally subscribe to this type of cancel-culture as a meaningful solution to perceived problems)
    edited November 2021
    Maybe my skin is thicker than I think.  There are certainly occasionally threads that run off the rails, but for the most part I have found the forum helpful and frankly, expensive!  I have purchased a lot of additional toys as a result.  

Lot of great, nice and helpful folks on here.  This forum is wonderful compared to many.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Welcome aboard! As others have said this place really is a wealth of knowledge. If you have questions about anything cooking related, you can usually find help here in short order. This is also the first place I come to when looking for a new recipe or how to cook something, even non BGE related. I would encourage you not to write the forum off just yet!
    LBGE
    AL
  • One nuance I may offer to the OP. There are occasionally unpalatable posts found here. But a lot of exchanges that appear caustic on the surface instead consist of good-natured ribbing between members. Only more time on the forum will allow you to make the distinction. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Guy buys a KJ.  A year later, joins the BGE forum but never posts anything.  A year after that makes a first post with a thread that is one of the two most controversial topics: BGE or KJ.  (the second is what lump is best).  That thread starts out with "I am not a troll."

As is predicted with most any controversial topic you will get some people arguing about it.  A pun about the acronym for Big Joe is made.  This is some seriously naughty behavior.  Queue Lit, who's probably been day drinking.  Pantomime a third grade fight that goes: "I know you are but what am I" (you get the picture).  Not anything "insane asylum" level by any means.

Some hours later, this person starts up another thread, having posted 4 or 5 times total in one day.  "I'm a noob and this place is nasty unlike the other forums", yadda yadda.  The torture this guy tolerated for a few hours is so unbearable that bait is set for "what to do?!".  Cue the Hitler youth and Archie Bunker twins who paint a grim picture about how everyone has left because of "like 5 bad people and their many troll accounts". 

FFS, just go. Who does this?  This is just moderator bait all the way.