Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    WeberWho said:
    Now the Stoker has dropped the wifi signal completely. What a pile. 
    Dead dome probe on the PartyQ. I was able to switch out the dome probe on the BBQ Guru. It's never ending. 

The easy answer would be go controller less. I'd probably be just as restless as my mind would be constantly be thinking about temp swings but in reality the egg would be stable as a rock. 

This going to be a really good brisket or chili. There's no in-between at this point with everything going on.  =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Woke up quite early and sharpened the knives while the rest of the household was sleeping. Likely my most consistent whetstone sharpening to date. Even improved the factory edge of my Impinda. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @WeberWho - Gotta admit that you definitely earned that beer early on in this adventure.  Hopefully all stable now.  Just nail the finish and it will be a great result.  Good luck!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    lousubcap said:
    @WeberWho - Gotta admit that you definitely earned that beer early on in this adventure.  Hopefully all stable now.  Just nail the finish and it will be a great result.  Good luck!
    Thanks! Locked in at 250 the last couple hours now. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    Now the Stoker has dropped the wifi signal completely. What a pile. 
    Dead dome probe on the PartyQ. I was able to switch out the dome probe on the BBQ Guru. It's never ending. 

The easy answer would be go controller less. I'd probably be just as restless as my mind would be constantly be thinking about temp swings but in reality the egg would be stable as a rock. 

This going to be a really good brisket or chili. There's no in-between at this point with everything going on.  =)
    This.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    WeberWho said:
    Now the Stoker has dropped the wifi signal completely. What a 

I Quit using a controller on the egg long ago, thanks to Stoker  best divorce ever .just not needed on an Egg , runs like a rock on its own 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    Already probing at high 160's. It's going to be a fight to keep this brisket from finishing too early and serving around 5-5:30 when my family stops over this evening. 

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    Drop the cook temp.  It can take a long time to get to the low 200's *F.  All you've gotta do is get inside the FTC window and that should not be an issue but always remember who's at the helm... B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    lousubcap said:
    Drop the cook temp.  It can take a long time to get to the low 200's *F.  All you've gotta do is get inside the FTC window and that should not be an issue but always remember who's at the helm... B)
    Thanks. I dropped her down to 225 when I wrapped the brisket in butcher paper. I was getting high 160's to low 170's. I'm hoping to get a couple more hours on the egg yet before FTC. 

I also sent some texts out and said brisket is moving more quickly than anticipated to my family members and that we might be eating earlier than expected. If I can get a couple more hours on the egg I should be able to get 5+ hours FTC. My hopes anyway.

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Just wrapping up the migration to a new data warehouse/OLAP system that's been years in the working.  Not the greatest timing with the hurricane, but life is too easy without challenges.
    Got onto VRBO last week and decided to take a quick getaway trip to Sedona. Got in later last night and woke up to a pretty great view on the back porch. Unfortunately, the pics don’t do it justice. 

Love that area. We will definitely go
    back. The drive between Sedona and Flagstaff is amazing.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Got onto VRBO last week and decided to take a quick getaway trip to Sedona. Got in later last night and woke up to a pretty great view on the back porch. Unfortunately, the pics don’t do it justice. 

That looks like the place I stay, does it have 3 floors of back terraces like that? Last time I went there was too much smoke, I was bummed.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338

Love that area. We will definitely go
    back. The drive between Sedona and Flagstaff is amazing.
    It is a beautiful drive. We took the freeway the whole way because it was dark. We try to swing through Flagstaff and then Phoenix at least once a year to get our Whataburger and Blue Bell fix. 

Botch said:

That looks like the place I stay, does it have 3 floors of back terraces like that? Last time I went there was too much smoke, I was bummed.  
    No, this place is a single story. The back patio is pretty amazing. It backs right up into a canyon with nobody around. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    @WeberWho I feel your pain. That’s why I find cooking Montreal Smoked Meat (started one 4 days ago) less challenging :) …smoke to 165’ish during the day, cool down and rest in fridge until next day or whenever for the approx 3 hr steam before service. Have to plan almost two weeks ahead though. Looking forward to your well earned finish.
    canuckland
  • WeberWho
    @WeberWho I feel your pain. That’s why I find cooking Montreal Smoked Meat (started one 4 days ago) less challenging :) …smoke to 165’ish during the day, cool down and rest in fridge until next day or whenever for the approx 3 hr steam before service. Have to plan almost two weeks ahead though. Looking forward to your well earned finish.
    Brisket seems to be an every 2 to 3 year cook around here. Just long enough to not realize what I'm doing and I get slapped in the face with controller issues left and right this morning.

I'm happy with the bark before wrapping and it felt good when handling it. It's crawling up to high 190's at the moment but one of those cooks where I have to cross my fingers as I don't cook nearly enough to know what I'm doing. I should have just went with some tri-tip steaks for my sister/dad birthday but it gave me a chance or reason to a cook a brisket. Tri-tip would have been so much easier!

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    WeberWho said:
    Brisket seems to be an every 2 to 3 year cook around here. Just long enough to not realize what I'm doing and I get slapped in the face with controller issues left and right this morning.

I'm happy with the bark before wrapping and it felt good when handling it. It's crawling up to high 190's at the moment but one of those cooks where I have to cross my fingers as I don't cook nearly enough to know what I'm doing. I should have just went with some tri-tip steaks for my sister/dad birthday but it gave me a chance or reason to a cook a brisket. Tri-tip would have been so much easier!
    Done early is never bad IMO it will hoped / rest for hours ...if I really want to slow it down after wrapped , into a low oven ....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    Ah, the brisket cook challenge, present with every one.  That's what makes it so enjoyable as you never know the audibles you will need to call during the adventure. 
    I've got one going tomorrow and with no end point hard stop requirement.  Those (few and far between) are great fun given the latitude with the cook.  Brisket prepped and BGE ready today, fire it up and go whenever I get rolling.  Trimmed out 11.2 lb SRF black for the cook.  
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    So glad college football is back even if it’s just Illinois vs Nebraska 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    Well, so much for the above open ended brisket cook.  I now have a hard stop delivery time (only 30 minutes away) for 5:30 PM Sunday PM.  Just set a friggin alarm and get it done!  
  • lousubcap
    That is bringing it home.  Congrats on the cook and Cubanos.  Yes indeed a great sandwich.  
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    So glad college football is back even if it’s just Illinois vs Nebraska 
    It is a special feeling to have college ball back. This game is brutal though. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Put a half dozen pork tenderloins on ice to marinate. All for an anniversary party that may or may not happen tomorrow afternoon.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I love Cubans, and yours looks magnificent!   :)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• lousubcap
    @GrateEggspectations - on a knife scale that collection is right up there with your neighbour's trophy cars.  Beautiful.  
  • lkapigian said:
    Ar the Yankee Game 

Hope you’re wearing the team colours. 

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited August 2021
    I'm not sure I'd even pay $1.39/lb for beef back ribs.  Every time I've bought them they were like 75% bone, membrane and gristle.
    Ehh I figured it was worth a gamble for 5 bucks. I bought a couple pounds of pork belly for burnt ends also. So at least we won't starve.
    They should be decent.  I've never tried Costco's back ribs, but they are pretty good in picking good quality in their offerings 
    We cook them a bit here, but cook them for tacos.  Did these last night - salt/lime/onion marinade and then cook at 400 for about 40 minutes to cook the bone. As you can see I slice down to the Bone every inch or so. Each one of the little cubes is a great bite. 

*edit - on these I ‘sacrificed’ every other rib when cutting them up. I don’t always do that but I needed to on these. 

I don’t know why the photos are added above. Ugh
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.