Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    Attempting to recover from the rona. I've been fortunate considering some people I know.

Coughing/no taste/ body aches...ALL of my old wounds and major surgery sites feel like they are 24 hrs old..especially my back surgery site..

Going to the den from bedroom feels like I've ran a marathon 
    Sucks man, here’s to a somewhat speedy recovery.

My neighbor 42, non smoker or drinker….runner. Pneumonia on top of Covid. Hospital on oxygen for 8 days, just came home yesterday with an oxygen tank. Said he feels like you just described 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Dug this out from freezer for another MSM. @paqman @GrateEggspectations check the price  ;)  Loblaws had it on sale 2.99 almost exactly a year ago, this week it's 3.99 still good price. 

Way to make us green!

I’ve yet to ever see a brisket in a Loblaws in Ottawa. The beef prices at Costco yesterday were eye watering. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations regular Costco or Costco Business Center?  I'll think of you when I rub the spices in, haha!
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations regular Costco or Costco Business Center?  I'll think of you when I rub the spices in, haha!
    Oh, you’re rubbing it in alright!

Regular Costco. Although when I was at the Business Centre a few weeks back, their prices were no better (from what I could tell at quick glance).
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    @ColbyLang
    Thanks. I've been able to stay off oxygen..SP02 dropped slightly to 95..but I just move slow and don't get excited. 

I couldn't imagine fighting this thing if I smoked. Saw an advertisement on TV about COPD...and I just thought...this would be a terrible way to live ALL the time.. ..this should be the best incentive ever to quit smoking 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    Attempting to recover from the rona. I've been fortunate considering some people I know.

Coughing/no taste/ body aches...ALL of my old wounds and major surgery sites feel like they are 24 hrs old..especially my back surgery site..

Best of luck to you. Our department just lost the third officer over the last couple of months to it. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• ColbyLang
    Options
    Last place on earth I want to be…..hospital ER with my 91 year old grandmother. Ruptured hernia. Yay
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Happy Campers Today ( that's baby in the cage laughing )

https://youtu.be/RpstUthtCNw
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    @ColbyLang
    Thanks. I've been able to stay off oxygen..SP02 dropped slightly to 95..but I just move slow and don't get excited. 

I couldn't imagine fighting this thing if I smoked. Saw an advertisement on TV about COPD...and I just thought...this would be a terrible way to live ALL the time.. ..this should be the best incentive ever to quit smoking 
    Is this a breakthrough infection?

Wishing the best for your convalescence.

Options

Eating a bagel and starting dinner

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:

Best of luck to you. Our department just lost the third officer over the last couple of months to it. 
    Damn.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Just received official notification of a new NSF award.  It's a collaboration with people at UIUC.  Just north of $400k to support work here at Duke over the next 3 years.  

The title of the project is: "A Unified Theory of Crack Nucleation and Growth for Materials Subjected to Repetitive Surface Acoustic Waves and Dynamic Impact".

Grateful for the opportunity.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Just received official notification of a new NSF award.  It's a collaboration with people at UIUC.  Just north of $400k to support work here at Duke over the next 3 years.  

The title of the project is: "A Unified Theory of Crack Nucleation and Growth for Materials Subjected to Repetitive Surface Acoustic Waves and Dynamic
    Impact".

Congrats! I was just sitting down to write a paper about that very subject. I’ll just send it to you and you can slide some of that grant $$$ my way. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• nolaegghead
    Options

The title of the project is: "A Unified Theory of Crack Nucleation and Growth for Materials Subjected to Repetitive Surface Acoustic Waves and Dynamic
    Impact".

What are the applications?  I was thinking maybe mitigating diaphragm degradation from repetitive vibratory toys or something.

Options

Impact".

What are the applications?  I was thinking maybe mitigating diaphragm degradation from repetitive vibratory toys or something.

That would be what you would think about.

Applications are to lithotripsy, earthquakes, blast loading of structures.  Essentially any problem with inertial loadings that stress the material system beyond its strength envelope.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

The title of the project is: "A Unified Theory of Crack Nucleation and Growth for Materials Subjected to Repetitive Surface Acoustic Waves and Dynamic Impact".

And to the forum members flagging this, thank you for paying taxes.  You too have contributed to advancing knowledge and scientific discovery today.  
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options

I feel like a dumb dumb just trying to understand the second paragraph. 😂 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina - Any grant is a good thing but at that award level you can't even cover the administrative costs finessed thru the project filters over the time frame.   =)  But it all counts.
    Congrats on the win.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - Any grant is a good thing but at that award level you can't even cover the administrative costs finessed thru the project filters over the time frame.   =)  But it all counts.
    Congrats on the win.
    The "slave labor" availability is high with the concentration of Pointdexters on campus.  That definitely helps offset administrative overhead compared to farming out research to a corporation or have everyone (end users) invent their own wheels.

Options

Congrats, what new cooker will you be buying?  :tongue:

I actually took a class on crack propagation in landing gear parts a couple years ago.  It was presented by the Navy and looked more at saltwater exposure, rather than acoustic waves, but if your research involved saving the foam suspension in my beloved, 33-year old Advent speakers, I'm all ears.   :)  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,300
    Options
    Watching 4 tropical storms heading towards the Gulf.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Invest 99L is the one to watch, the GFS has it going right over us.  Insurance companies are watching it closely, in a few days it will be probably be big news.

Options
    lousubcap said:
    Congrats on the win.
    It will fully support a PhD student for 3 years, plus materials and supplies, and some travel.  It's not much but I'll take it for sure.  

NSF grants, even though they're not much money, are super-competitive because they come with so few strings attached.  The hit rate in engineering is only around 10%.  
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Botch said:

Congrats, what new cooker will you be buying?  :tongue:

I actually took a class on crack propagation in landing gear parts a couple years ago.  It was presented by the Navy and looked more at saltwater exposure, rather than acoustic waves, but if your research involved saving the foam suspension in my beloved, 33-year old Advent speakers, I'm all ears.   :)  

Some of my favorite speakers have been products of Henry Kloss.  Two sets of Advents that are regrettably now long gone and some various Cambridge Sound Works items I still have in use.
    Congrats on your award.  I too hope speaker surrounds are included in your study subjects.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Speaker compliance has very high elasticity.  Fracture isn't really an issue.  What is an issue is chemical degradation.   Elastic materials are generally more susceptible to oxidation.  The foam compliance ("surrounds") are notoriously fragile in this regard.

(I actually built a speaker when I was around 12 yo.  Made a cellulose slurry and cast the cone in a mold from a JBL speaker shipping box, recycled a frame, etc.  Actually worked but very inefficient) 
    Options
    Invest 99L is the one to watch, the GFS has it going right over us.  Insurance companies are watching it closely, in a few days it will be probably be big news.

Wish they’d have a better forecast cone than they do currently. Anywhere from Texas/Mexico border to LA/Mississippi border. 
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,863
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    I am turning to you, my learned and esteemed Egg-friends to confirm my suspicion that despite being a little past my best - I still have it.  Otherwise why would this appear in my inbox?

Am Jane and I’m 27 years, a wedded lady and I want a low-key guy for a casual hook up built on fun times with no strings attached. I’m just a displeased lady married, he should be at least thirty whether married or not, should be prepared for at home test, because I want it raw. No appreciation just enjoying satisfactory make love together, I will host.. 

Points to clarify;
    1) I am familiar with displeased ladies - I have one who lives in my house already
    2) I assume a 'home test' is something to do with electrical safety, so no - I am not prepared but maybe some YouTube recommendations from you will help?  I hope it's not a memory test of why I just went out to the shed because all I remember is thinking 'why did I come out here?'. 
    3) By raw she obviously knows my steak preference, we call it rare but I can overlook that - initially anyway.
    4) No appreciation..... I think we all know that feeling.  Today I removed a dealer's sticker from the windscreen of SWMBO's car, including the adhesive and leaving no residue at all. Impressive right? What do I get "I didn't know there was a sticker"
    5) A little hazy on the bit between 'enjoying' and the comma. 
    6) She will host, great - I hope she has Sports subscription so I can watch the cricket

Any advice you can offer would be gratefully accepted. 

In more exciting computer based luck news,  seems I am now very wealthy too...

Hello,
    Your Bitcoin wallet has been funded with 24.85 BTC making a total of
    810,607.78 USD as requested by you. Please login with below details to
    confirm your BTC balance.

Website   (I have taken out the URL)
    Customer ID : 77717247
    Password.   : bx54jay7
    BTC Bal.    : 810,607.78 USD

Ensure to confirm your balance please.
    Well, the internet really seems to like me right now because this golden opportunity arrived today via WhatsApp.   I have just sold a kidney and all available corneas to climb aboard this wonderful opportunity. 

Hello, use the funds on hand to invest in our mall shopping rebates.The minimum investment is 20 GBP. Zero risk, easy to operate, no fees for deposit and withdrawal, earn commission, return on investment of 20%, immediately back to the money.
    Reply "1" first,then Click the link to add Whatsapp for consultation.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,863
    Options
    Speaker compliance has very high elasticity.  Fracture isn't really an issue.  What is an issue is chemical degradation.   Elastic materials are generally more susceptible to oxidation.  The foam compliance ("surrounds") are notoriously fragile in this regard.

(I actually built a speaker when I was around 12 yo.  Made a cellulose slurry and cast the cone in a mold from a JBL speaker shipping box, recycled a frame, etc.  Actually worked but very inefficient) 
    I had a crush on my teacher at 12 years old.  I now wonder if one of us is not normal. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • ColbyLang
    Options

I’m the blue dot. Sonofabitch!