Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gulf Coast Eggers: Ida

Options
This storm has a very high probability of changing lives forever.  I hope not, but there's really not much stopping it from being a "perfect storm".  The gulf is hot AF, like bathwater. 

There's a sh!t-ton of energy available, and really nothing to attenuate it once it gets moving in the gulf.  Where it hits, and the angle, is to be determined, although from my perspective, looks like I'll be on the bad side of it.

Everyone in the path take care, batten down the hatches.  Make plans, potentially for an extended time.

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Yeah, this one may get ugly.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Ditto, has shifted slight E of my original landfall pic. Ain’t looking forward to it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Charge those drone batteries.
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    @nolaegghead Which side of the storm do you consider the bad side? The late models had us 50-60 miles east of Henry’s track last week. So we were getting ready to see some pretty good wind and storm surge. Generally speaking, I prefer to be on the wetter west side, but like most things, that has its obvious downsides 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Stay safe, all. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    CornfedMA said:
    @nolaegghead Which side of the storm do you consider the bad side? The late models had us 50-60 miles east of Henry’s track last week. So we were getting ready to see some pretty good wind and storm surge. Generally speaking, I prefer to be on the wetter west side, but like most things, that has its obvious downsides 

Generally the east side is the bad side, with both winds and rain, but that can vary based on a ton of variables.
    NOLA
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    Ive been through the middle of two, the NW side of Harvey, and just missed to the west of one.  The one that missed to the West made it hotter, drier and windier than any place Ive ever been.  Stupid Harvey Im 170 miles from Houston and got 18" of rain.

@nolaegghead- good luck on this one its always a crap shoot.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    4pm track has drifted it further to the E making landfall south of Morgan City Sunday at 2pm as a Category 2. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    About 6 I am going to go and roll the Egg into the shed for the storm. Tomorrow I am going to have to invent a barricade for the south facing French door and large picture window. Don't know why the house builder didn't stick to standard windows and doors all around, it was build 3 years after Camille. No real time to do much more preparation wise. 
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Thinking about you guys. I hate hurricanes. 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I'm really hoping it doesn't get too bad. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Options
    East of the eye is referred to as the dirty side and is always worse.
  • bella21
    bella21 Posts: 45
    Options
    Stay safe all. Wouldn't mind seeing some 1st hand pics of how ya'll are sheltering and the weather when everything is happening if you can. All I normally get are news updates. Curious to see how the locals are managing. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    We've been keeping an eye on this, too. Be safe, LA.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I told my neighbors they might be able to pick up a generator if they go right now, earlier today.  They farted around for a couple hours and went to HF - the remaining generators were claimed.   Anyway, no worries there, we always hook up immediate neighbors with power from our big generator.

Two of my small inverter generators are going to friends.  I have another than runs great but no power. 

I think this storm, at a minimum, will knock power out all over south LA.  Straight line wind damage will be pretty bad.  Hopefully the levees hold, that's my main concern.  We should get a better picture of the storm in the next 24 hours.
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Louisiana took a pasting last year. Not that I am volunteering my state as the bullseye.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Hoping it turns out to be manageable for everyone down there.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Stay safe out there.  Any hurricane brings the whole bag regardless of where you are relative to the eye.  
    Mother nature is a -itch.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Article image
    Options
    Article image
    Options
    Looks like it shifted west, landfall at New Iberia, LA.  And upgraded from 2 to 3.

That's great news for us, not so great for everyone west of us.

I suspect the intensity forecast may go up significantly in the coming days.  The track will shift around also, but with time the cone of uncertainty will close (unless someone expands via Sharpie).
    Options
    Looks like it shifted west, landfall at New Iberia, LA.  And upgraded from 2 to 3.

That's great news for us, not so great for everyone west of us.

I suspect the intensity forecast may go up significantly in the coming days.  The track will shift around also, but with time the cone of uncertainty will close (unless someone expands via Sharpie).

Awaiting a 4am update, but the 10pm actually put it making landfall S of Houma as a 2, which is E of where it had been yesterday afternoon 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Looks like a lot of work come daylight.
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    I see Mike’s weather page is projecting 10”-15” of rain at landing spot, brutal after all this seasonal rain.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    10am update has landfall as a Cat 3 splitting Houma and Morgan City. It’s gonna get ugly gents
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Mandatory evacuations in some areas have begun.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Damn.  Stay safe.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    i would take 3 feet of snow any day to one of these. stay safe down there.
    100% yes

LBGE

Pikesville, MD