Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: funny YETI cooler article: OT

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
If you are a Southern Living  magazine subscriber be sure to read Rick Bragg’s article on page 128 of the August issue. He pokes fun at window stickers in general and then zeros in on YETI cooler decals.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Do you have a link, Ron?
  • RRP
    Do you have a link, Ron?
    Sorry my wife is only a print edition subscriber - though I’m not sure it is available any other way anyway.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Take a picture, I'm all about mocking Yeti fans.
    I wrote a song to do that very thing. Called it “Yeti Land”. Unfortunately it got buffaloed years ago 🤦‍♂️

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Take a picture, I'm all about mocking Yeti fans.
    Anyone accumulating as many toys as you do (i.e., “”What Is Nola Buying Now?”) while ridiculing those who spend a few extra bucks on a cooler deserves a fiercely stern reprimand and 5 laps! 🙃
  • RRP
    OK - try reading this...

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    RRP said:
    OK - try reading this...

Love it!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    I like to show off all my cheap, practical and free stuff so the world knows me as a poor pragmatist.  Except maybe for the Festool stuff.  I'd put a bumper sticker on my truck: "Festool", but almost no one would know what the hell it meant. 
    The only bumper sticker I ever put on a car was in 2008: "The devil wears pant suits."  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    That doesn't seem exactly 'cutting edge' type reporting. Did Southern Living just now hear of Yeti coolers and their fans? Let's hope someone catches it before they run the article on 'Best day's to visit the Twin Towers'.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• nolaegghead
    Kayak said:
    That doesn't seem exactly 'cutting edge' type reporting. Did Southern Living just now hear of Yeti coolers and their fans? Let's hope someone catches it before they run the article on 'Best day's to visit the Twin Towers'.
    You need to keep in mind the context of the readers.  Different folks than the New Yorker.
    (I'll deserve every single flag that ^^^ gets... )
    I saw some show off with a BGE sticker on his SUV the other day..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited August 2021
    I'm not the biggest decal guy. I have this one on the back of my truck window. 

Yes, it needs a wash. I was hauling rock and dirt the other day. I hit the bed with a pressure washer do get the main dirt out. I need to run it through the carwash yet. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    My only bumper sticker...

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    dbCooper said:
    My only bumper sticker...

There is a lot of truth in that statement 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    WeberWho said:

Yes, it needs a wash. I was hauling rock and dirt the other day. I hit the bed with a pressure washer do get the main dirt out. I need to run it through the carwash yet. 
    I flagged you… because I don’t understand why folks wash their cars, let alone wash their truck beds. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I saw some show off with a BGE sticker on his SUV the other day..
    I think I see what you did there…

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited August 2021
    caliking said:
    WeberWho said:

I flagged you… because I don’t understand why folks wash their cars, let alone wash their truck beds. 
    Ha! Not all that bad in summer but we are in the salt belt during the winter. It's a must during winter months. Any dirt in the bed finds its way into the cab if you have the windows down. Especially if you have sliding rear window. It's like a vacuum in the cab. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    I like to show off all my cheap, practical and free stuff so the world knows me as a poor pragmatist.  Except maybe for the Festool stuff.  I'd put a bumper sticker on my truck: "Festool", but almost no one would know what the hell it meant. 
    I’d understand:

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Stunning observations on Human idiosyncrasies appear in the oddest places.
    I love this forum.   

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Thanks for posting that, Ron!  I enjoyed the article and the writer’s perspective.

I’ve never agreed with or understood the need some people have to broadcast to the world how well they or their kids have done through decals, bumper stickers, or whatnot.  That always seemed kind of silly to me, to try and show off that way.  That’s why you won’t see any bumper stickers on my Huracan or F40.
    @JohnInCarolina what was that bumper sticker you and Carey put on @henapple s jeep ?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    lkapigian said:
    Thanks for posting that, Ron!  I enjoyed the article and the writer’s perspective.

I’ve never agreed with or understood the need some people have to broadcast to the world how well they or their kids have done through decals, bumper stickers, or whatnot.  That always seemed kind of silly to me, to try and show off that way.  That’s why you won’t see any bumper stickers on my Huracan or F40.
    @JohnInCarolina what was that bumper sticker you and Carey put on @henapple s jeep ?

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    RRP said

That's like me and car dealer emblems! When I buy a car or truck I specify I won't take delivery until such advertising is removed!
    my father once bought (ordered) a  car and specifically had the salesman write “no dealer emblem” or whatever on the write up. Big letters. 

Came the day to pick it up and lo and behold there was one of those chromed plastic dealer plates in script, stuck to the rear deck right next to the make/model badge: “Newman Ford” 

(fun fact: dealership is/was about a mile from
    fishless’ shop)

dad finished the walk-around, sat in the car, etc etc then got out and said “looks good to me. Hey. Wuick question, have you got a pair of channel-lock pliers anywhere!”

weird look from the salesman, but in a minute or so someone came from the shop with them. 

Dad said “thanks!” and grabbed the name plate with the pliers and tore it off, handed both back to the salesman. 

(I have a great story about that car years later when he traded it in to the same dealership…. Another day another thread)

fast forward to my buying days, and i have asked the same thing. No stickers etc. They always do it anyway, and they peel off easily when new. Try a hair dryer if you really need to.

But now, I just say “hey, no dealer stickers anywhere on the thing. But I *will* be happy to take a license plate frame with your name on it. No back and forth. Guy seemed happy to oblige. 

(Between you and me, those things are uglier than hell, and I cannot fathom why any moron pays tens of thousands of dollars for a car and lets the dealer slap that craap on it. )

When I picked up my last car, sure enough: no stickers, but an ugly dealer license plate frame. Ok by me. 

Shake hands, drive away. Pull in at an Autozone, unbolt the plastic dealer frame and toss it in the trash. Went in and bought a simple chrome frame, bolted it on, and drove away. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    The American capacity to purchase a product from a company and then help them advertise it (for free!) really is amazing.  I’m not sure any other country comes close to us in this regard.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike