Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Camp V, Oct 20th in New Orleans

Comments

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Obviously there are stupid people everywhere:

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Because they can!  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839
    Not a Bill Maher fan by any means, but worth sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp3gy_CLXho
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Common sense is a super power these days.

It will be interesting to see how the federal employee vaccine mandate goes over.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    Common sense is a super power these days.

It will be interesting to see how the federal employee vaccine mandate goes over.
    Not well by most reports to date, but I think it was the right thing to do based on the percentage of federal workers who were vaccinated in some areas.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Now this is funny
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    I don't know anyone who vaccinated or did not based on party lines.
    I don't think people chose not to vaccinate because of party affiliation, per se.  But if you look at who is choosing not to get vaccinated, the differences between people who self identify as either Democrat or Republican are fairly stark.  

Things are not helped by the vaccine skepticism being pushed by Fox News.  That probably explains the political correlation as much as anything else.  
    My frail elderly parents are pro-vax and have gladly received all prior vax.  But with Fox News blaring in their house almost 24x7, it took A LOT to convince them to get this one.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Lit said:
    Well, at least now we are in agreement that there is in fact a difference between the two parties when it comes to vaccination rates, as opposed to the nonsense that things are distributed equally.  That's progress I suppose!
    Nobody said that. Your silly little pole above is obviously flawed since it assumes the people vaccinated in those counties belong to the political party that won. If 60% of the people are vaccinated in a county and 40% of those are Republican then it still adds to the democratic percentage. See how that doesnt work?
    First of all, it's not a "pole".  It's not even a poll.  It's simply a calculation based on publicly available data.  

And it doesn't assume anything.  All it does is to reveal how things stack up, in aggregate, across the entire country, and how the picture has changed over time.   

As I mentioned upstream, comparable studies have plotted the percentage of vaccinations by state against the percentage that voted for Biden.  The data practically fall on a straight line.  

And as the law of averages tends to work out, you can of course cherry pick to identify instances that are both above the mean and below the mean. This doesn't indicate that you're smart, it just indicates that you don't understand statistics, because the actual mean matters and is a bit difficult to dismiss within a reasonable sample size.   Not that any of this will stop you from trying, of course.  

So while this has all been fun, I'll let you have the last word here, because I have bigger fish to fry.  
    I don't think Lit's mouth realizes his brain is no longer functioning after the "murder" that was committed previously.   I'll be he next borrows Trump's black sharpee and draws on a chart on an easel. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Legume
    Have you ever noticed that some jokes are just funnier depending on who tells it?  Maybe it’s added irony or context that changes the joke in some subtle way that wasn’t intended, but it’s just funnier than in someone else’s hands.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    JethroVA said:
    My frail elderly parents are pro-vax and have gladly received all prior vax.  But with Fox News blaring in their house almost 24x7, it took A LOT to convince them to get this one.  
    Supposedly even Faux is starting to change their tune on vaccines; wonder if the murdoch family is finally realizing the danger of a nationwide Class-Action lawsuit by victims' families?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Legume said:
    Have you ever noticed that some jokes are just funnier depending on who tells it?  Maybe it’s added irony or context that changes the joke in some subtle way that wasn’t intended, but it’s just funnier than in someone else’s hands.
    Respect I Tell Ya GIF by Rodney Dangerfield
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Legume said:

I never thought clowns were funny
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Lit
    edited July 2021
  • Legume
    Legume said:

I never thought clowns were funny
    They’re not.  Especially the ones that talk.
  • Lit
    JethroVA said:
    Lit said:
    Well, at least now we are in agreement that there is in fact a difference between the two parties when it comes to vaccination rates, as opposed to the nonsense that things are distributed equally.  That's progress I suppose!
    Nobody said that. Your silly little pole above is obviously flawed since it assumes the people vaccinated in those counties belong to the political party that won. If 60% of the people are vaccinated in a county and 40% of those are Republican then it still adds to the democratic percentage. See how that doesnt work?
    First of all, it's not a "pole".  It's not even a poll.  It's simply a calculation based on publicly available data.  

And it doesn't assume anything.  All it does is to reveal how things stack up, in aggregate, across the entire country, and how the picture has changed over time.   

As I mentioned upstream, comparable studies have plotted the percentage of vaccinations by state against the percentage that voted for Biden.  The data practically fall on a straight line.  

And as the law of averages tends to work out, you can of course cherry pick to identify instances that are both above the mean and below the mean. This doesn't indicate that you're smart, it just indicates that you don't understand statistics, because the actual mean matters and is a bit difficult to dismiss within a reasonable sample size.   Not that any of this will stop you from trying, of course.  

So while this has all been fun, I'll let you have the last word here, because I have bigger fish to fry.  
    I don't think Lit's mouth realizes his brain is no longer functioning after the "murder" that was committed previously.   I'll be he next borrows Trump's black sharpee and draws on a chart on an easel. 
    You are smart enough to realize the chart John posted has no real value? It just shows the vaccinated percentage in Democratic counties versus Republican. What if the majority of the people vaccinated in thise democratic counties are Republican? Many of the counties were within a percent or 2 of the vote going the other way so it is easily possible so that chart is worthless. You get that?
  • Lit
    Lit said:
    JethroVA said:
    Lit said:

You are smart enough to realize the chart John posted has no real value? It just shows the vaccinated percentage in Democratic counties versus Republican. What if the majority of the people vaccinated in thise democratic counties are Republican? Many of the counties were within a percent or 2 of the vote going the other way so it is easily possible so that chart is worthless. You get that?
    Just cause John posts all this crap from RidinBidenstip.com doesnt make him smart and you should probably use your brain a little and think about it.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Lit said:
    JethroVA said:
    Lit said:

Sadly, there are politics influencing medical policy.  There's really no question about that.  

I think this data shows a good overview picture while including the minutia of detail:

And yes, African Americans are more hesitant than white Americans for some of the same reasons - don't trust the government, but more specifically because of some of the awful history between the government and African Americans, specifically the Tuskegee Study.  It doesn't end there, however.

I don't think that anyone will disagree with the statement that there is outlier data in every aggregate data set and the whole idea of statistics is to look at trends.  In this case it's pretty clear, but you are harping on baseless "what-ifs" while looking down a canon barrel of data.  This is the behavior of a child.  It further re-enforces what I think is the overall consensus of you being a complete idiot.   Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but yur dum.

Here are a few other non partisan cuts.

• Legume
    And lastly, if you’re not vaccinated…odds stack against you.  Oddly Nebraska and Florida have stopped reporting some of this data.

• Lit
    Lit said:
    JethroVA said:
    Lit said:

Sadly, there are politics influencing medical policy.  There's really no question about that.  

I think this data shows a good overview picture while including the minutia of detail:

And yes, African Americans are more hesitant than white Americans for some of the same reasons - don't trust the government, but more specifically because of some of the awful history between the government and African Americans, specifically the Tuskegee Study.  It doesn't end there, however.

I don't think that anyone will disagree with the statement that there is outlier data in every aggregate data set and the whole idea of statistics is to look at trends.  In this case it's pretty clear, but you are harping on baseless "what-ifs" while looking down a canon barrel of data.  This is the behavior of a child.  It further re-enforces what I think is the overall consensus of you being a complete idiot.   Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but yur dum.

Its not what ifs. Old people tend to be Republican more often and they are more likely to get the vaccine than the majority of young democrats plus as you mentioned above African Americans arent fond of getting the vaccine either so I would be surprised if the numbers really as as skewed as that chart. 
  • Straight lines through data sets everywhere and Lit is in here like Fredo

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Any input in the plunge in Covid Varient in the UK, promising there , or people stopped getting tested 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    lkapigian said:
    Any input in the plunge in Covid Varient in the UK, promising there , or people stopped getting tested 
    I think Osterholm discusses that in his most recent podcast.  I'm only about halfway through it though, but I recall that the pattern has been seen at other countries that have gone through a Delta surge.  I don't recall what the explanation was.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Legume said:
    And lastly, if you’re not vaccinated…odds stack against you.  Oddly Nebraska and Florida have stopped reporting some of this data.

Those within Nebraska do not consider Governor Ricketts decision to stop reporting odd.  Rather, any actions taken by him to mitigate Covid would be considered odd. 
    He'll be term-limited out of here in a couple years.  Pretty certain the rest of the country will become familiar with him, and his dad, in the run up to 2024.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    lkapigian said:
    It was stated on CBS News tonight that the spike of two weeks ago was from a largely-unmasked soccer/football celebration.  Once that passed, they credited UK's over-70% vaccination rate to keeping it in check afterwards.  FWIW.  

The CDC's news this morning was a lot more worrying; Delta is believed to be as transmissible as chicken pox, and the medical folks on the ground (not the statisticians, yet) are saying its much more dangerous.  It still doesn't seem to attack children under 12 (who can't yet be vaccinated) but this damn thing has mutated 3 or 4 times already...  And the US is currently about 50% fully-vaccinated.   :|  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure