Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Camp V, Oct 20th in New Orleans

Options

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Dondgc said:
    We wouldn't have this problem if everyone just got vaccinated.

I got vaccinated as soon as I was eligible (February, Moderna). Still got Covid early this month. Thankfully it was mild.
    The analogy I’ve heard that’s helpful is to view the vaccine as kind of like having an umbrella in the rain.  It won’t completely prevent you from getting wet (sick), but it’ll stop you from getting soaked (hospitalization, death).

Nearly everyone dying of covid these days has been unvaccinated.  Why eligible people remain hesitant is mystifying to me, especially when it’s free and readily available in the US.
    Im guessing the whole nobody knows the long term effects of the vaccine would be the main reason. I know you are the smart one but thats what common sense told me.
    Common sense, to me, is to let the people who have studied this stuff their entire lives with thousands of years of collective experience in universities and research laboratories specializing in microbiology and pathology decide the risks don't outweigh the risks of sickness and mortality (and a lifetime of preexisting conditions like ED) from the virus and all the future issues of a mutating virus that doesn't go away.

That said, Lit, I think if you have any reservations you should make your own decision.  But please let your pediatrician decide for your kids.

You mean the people who studied this stuff that missed the issues with the J&J? Trust them? To be clear I am not against the vaccine at all I got my 1st Moderna shot 2-3 weeks ago and my wife is 3 or so week past her 2nd shot. We waited to atleast be able to rule out some short term side effects. John saying he is mystified why people dont want an unproven substance shot into their body that still doesnt stop you from getting COVID is a silly ass comment. As for my kids unless things change and COVID starts affecting children more my kids wont get the vaccine until it has time to be studied further.

The issue with the J&J vaccine was statistically less prevalent than a control group and was addressed in an abundance of caution.
    There has been atleast 2 issues with the J&J vaccine right? Something again like 2 weeks ago i believe?
  • Lit
    Options

Thats dumber than your mystified comment
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    I got Pfizer , I would do it again in a heartbeat, considering the alternative , also pretty sure a lot of the stuff I have taken in my past was also not FDA approved , i am comfortable knowing this wasnt put together in someone's house 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Have you considered comparing the symptoms of the vaccine vs no vaccine?  That's really what this is all about.

If there are any serious symptoms of the vaccine that aren't more than 3 or 4 orders of magnitude smaller than not getting vaccinated, let us know.  In case you don't understand the question, here's what "orders of magnitude" means:

You're maybe the only person here that I would encourage not to take the vaccine because you can still reproduce.  That said, shouldn't you be playing in traffic somewhere, I read on FB it's way safer than the vaccine?

Ta Ta For Now!

edited July 2021
    Options
    “shouldn’t you be playing in traffic somewhere” 😂
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Lit
    Options

Have you considered comparing the symptoms of the vaccine vs no vaccine?  That's really what this is all about.

If there are any serious symptoms of the vaccine that aren't more than 3 or 4 orders of magnitude smaller than not getting vaccinated, let us know.  In case you don't understand the question, here's what "orders of magnitude" means:

You're maybe the only person here that I would encourage not to take the vaccine because you can still reproduce.  That said, shouldn't you be playing in traffic somewhere, I read on FB it's way safer than the vaccine?

Ta Ta For Now!

Like I said no long term testing. Neither you or I know the problems the vaccine might cause. Im fine with others letting their kids be the guinea pigs though. If they are fine in a year or two my kids will get it. I still stick by my original statement. Anyone mystified by why people wouldnt want to put a lab created foreign substance in their body with no historic data is a stupid comment. You know why but it doesnt fit your agenda. Peace out Olympic ceremony coming on.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Regardless of where you fall on the vaccine skepticism line, I hope we can all agree that it makes sense to consult with your own family doctor or pediatrician on such an important decision.  Hopefully that’s not controversial.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,646
    Options
    Love that place 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Sad.  Beautiful area.  I used to drive through all the time on my way to Texas A&M.
    Options
    It will be interesting to see how the lambda variant that is currently tearing through Peru and many parts of South America behaves in regards to transmissibility and disease severity.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Lit said:

You calling something is dumb is the funniest sh/t ever. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Lit
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Lit said:

You calling something is dumb is the funniest sh/t ever. 
    You is speaking english is also is funny
  • Terpderpitude
    Options
    Lit is the guy who leaves a tour of NASA headquarters thinking all of the engineers there are idiots because none of them will admit the moon landing was an obvious hoax.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    We wouldn't have this problem if everyone just got vaccinated.

I got vaccinated as soon as I was eligible (February, Moderna). Still got Covid early this month. Thankfully it was mild.
    The analogy I’ve heard that’s helpful is to view the vaccine as kind of like having an umbrella in the rain.  It won’t completely prevent you from getting wet (sick), but it’ll stop you from getting soaked (hospitalization, death).

Nearly everyone dying of covid these days has been unvaccinated.  Why eligible people remain hesitant is mystifying to me, especially when it’s free and readily available in the US.
    Too many people still loyal to whatzhizname  For them, getting vaxxed would be admitting that whatzhizname was wrong.  So sad that the health of our fellow Americans became politicized. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I got Pfizer , I would do it again in a heartbeat, considering the alternative , also pretty sure a lot of the stuff I have taken in my past was also not FDA approved , i am comfortable knowing this wasnt put together in someone's house 
    Dude I hear you. If the other crap I put in my body didn't take me out a long time ago, no vax is gonna slow me down.  I'm vaxed with Moderna and looking forward to my booster shot. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Yep, definitely trending the wrong direction 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Looks like it’s just setting up for a big recovery in October, nothing to worry about.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options

At first glance I thought the FB500 had gone crazy 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Were Number 1 GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
    Options
    Were Number 1 GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
    Finally! We beat Mississippi at something! (With apologies to Mississippi Eggers). 
    New Orleans LA
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    The energy company I work for (stock symbol is a single letter) has about 18,000 employees, and as of today only 10,700 are vaccinated. 

Our SVP and Chief Nuclear Officer sent out a pretty strongly worded message today about how people need to get vaccinated, unless they have valid religious or medical reasons. 

To me, the tone of the message might be setting the stage for terminating the anti-vaxxers in the future. I’m normally a live and let live kind of guy, but I would be alright with such a policy considering how fast our society would devolve in to chaos if the lights go out for an extended period of time. This is just my NSHO, I am not speaking for the company. 

Of course lawyers would have a field day signing up the terminated for a class-action lawsuit. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    edited July 2021
    Options
    somebody said:

...sent out a pretty strongly worded message today about how people need to get vaccinated, unless they have valid religious or medical reasons. 
    I may step on a lot of toes here, but dammit.  How many MORE "pastors/priests/ etc" have to kill off themselves and portions of their congregations before we stomp this **** out?!?  The "gods", whatever they are, have given us the intelligence to develop vaccines, seatbelts, airbags, stoplights, CRISPR, environmental scientists, grounded electrical circuits, CO detectors, nutritional scientists, on and on, and still so many still claim, "Oh, the Lord will decide for me".  These people just give more breeding ground for further variants, beyond "Delta", that will spread faster, kill more, and resist existing vaccines even better.  
    It's time for fact-based folks to start doing something... different.  :anguished:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    CTMike said:
    The energy company I work for (stock symbol is a single letter) has about 18,000 employees, and as of today only 10,700 are vaccinated. 

Our SVP and Chief Nuclear Officer sent out a pretty strongly worded message today about how people need to get vaccinated, unless they have valid religious or medical reasons. 

To me, the tone of the message might be setting the stage for terminating the anti-vaxxers in the future. I’m normally a live and let live kind of guy, but I would be alright with such a policy considering how fast our society would devolve in to chaos if the lights go out for an extended period of time. This is just my NSHO, I am not speaking for the company. 

Of course lawyers would have a field day signing up the terminated for a class-action lawsuit. 
    As a business owner, this is interesting. We’re at about 65% vaxxed (with 50 employees). I’ve been told by a labor attorney that I can’t make them get vaccinated until Pfizer, Moderna and J&J are actually approved by the FDA and not emergency approved.
  • CTMike
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    CTMike said:

As a business owner, this is interesting. We’re at about 65% vaxxed (with 50 employees). I’ve been told by a labor attorney that I can’t make them get vaccinated until Pfizer, Moderna and J&J are actually approved by the FDA and not emergency approved.
    That’s completely understandable for a small business. But the energy sector falls under CISA and I can see the rules being different due to the critical nature of the business. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Botch said:
    somebody said:

...sent out a pretty strongly worded message today about how people need to get vaccinated, unless they have valid religious or medical reasons. 
    I may step on a lot of toes here, but dammit.  How many MORE "pastors/priests/ etc" have to kill off themselves and portions of their congregations before we stomp this **** out?!?  The "gods", whatever they are, have given us the intelligence to develop vaccines, seatbelts, airbags, stoplights, CRISPR, environmental scientists, grounded electrical circuits, CO detectors, nutritional scientists, on and on, and still so many still claim, "Oh, the Lord will decide for me".  These people just give more breeding ground for further variants, beyond "Delta", that will spread faster, kill more, and resist existing vaccines even better.  
    It's time for fact-based folks to start doing something... different.  :anguished:
    I completely agree - but someone in a executive leadership position of a large country has to be a little more PC than you and I. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.