Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Camp V, Oct 20th in New Orleans

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Hell yeah!  I'll start a thread.  I need to find a venue...
    ^^^^^^^^^^Bump^^^^^^^^^^^
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    That fancy new mask mandate gonna dampen the mood on this any? 
  • nolaegghead
    ColbyLang said:
    As much as I'm a proponent of public health and condone vaccinations and other safety measures, this will be outside and everyone can make adult decisions for themselves, I'm not going to babysit anyone.  Unless there's a mandate by my city that will shut us down, it's not mandated by me.  I will throw out anyone who exhibits known symptoms, as per common sense.

will herpes get you tossed out....JK.    I hope to see everyone this time around.  If you're not doing anything Saturday July 31st I will be in NOLA for a day.   
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang said:
    As much as I'm a proponent of public health and condone vaccinations and other safety measures, this will be outside and everyone can make adult decisions for themselves, I'm not going to babysit anyone.  Unless there's a mandate by my city that will shut us down, it's not mandated by me.  I will throw out anyone who exhibits known symptoms, as per common sense.

I figured as much. Common sense, who knew? 

Unfortunately, I feel like the entire state is headed back towards a mask mandate 
  • nolaegghead
    McStew said:
    will herpes get you tossed out....JK.    I hope to see everyone this time around.  If you're not doing anything Saturday July 31st I will be in NOLA for a day.   
    Herpes is ok as long as you wear pants.  Looking forward to see you there!

McStew said:
    Herpes is ok as long as you wear pants.  Looking forward to see you there!

Oh, you're here in a few days....give me a shout we'll hang out!  I missed the date

Plus you got my number

ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:

Unfortunately, I feel like the entire state is headed back towards a mask mandate 
    We wouldn't have this problem if everyone just got vaccinated.

Heck, we might not have this problem if everyone just wore masks and socially distanced.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:

Heck, we might not have this problem if everyone just wore masks and socially distanced.  
    I think Louisiana rocking a solid 38%….pathetic….proudly got mine….wish people would stop being so foolish. The misinformation out there is amazing 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @JohnInCarolina - I don't fire off the "disagree" tag but I do have an issue with your above comment although I sense a fair bit of sarcasm.  Given that the collective 'we" can't manage any type behavior that is a benefit to the public beyond one's own selfish sphere, it was the necessary move at the outset.
    Now-you can play roulette with vaccine side effects or death if no shot.  Why people even give it a choice is well beyond me.  Off mini soap-box. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:

I think Louisiana rocking a solid 38%….pathetic….proudly got mine….wish people would stop being so foolish. The misinformation out there is amazing 

New Orleans proper is doing better than the rest of the state, though.
    NOLA
  • ColbyLang
    buzd504 said:
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:

New Orleans proper is doing better than the rest of the state, though.
    I don’t doubt that. No clue what Lafayette’s numbers are. Know plenty of people that are refusing to get it….
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    I was fortunate enough to visit New Orleans in mid April 2021 thanks to @nolaegghead and the crawfish boil.  The perception I came away with was that masks were a side bar irritant and definitely not a requirement.  This was when the delta variant was just getting rolling so I hope the attitude has changed.  
    You can play roulette with the side effects of the vaccine or with death, simple choice for me.  Off mini soap-box.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - I don't fire off the "disagree" tag but I do have an issue with your above comment although I sense a fair bit of sarcasm.  Given that the collective 'we" can't manage any type behavior that is a benefit to the public beyond one's own selfish sphere, it was the necessary move at the outset.
    Now-you can play roulette with vaccine side effects or death if no shot.  Why people even give it a choice is well beyond me.  Off mini soap-box. 
    It was a bit of sarcasm for sure.  Very few countries managed this pandemic relatively unscathed.  Certainly the US could have handled things better throughout and I fear we've not learned many of the lessons we should have, but one also has to understand that there are practical limits to what can be done in a free society.  
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709

I got vaccinated as soon as I was eligible (February, Moderna). Still got Covid early this month. Thankfully it was mild.
    New Orleans LA
  • nolaegghead
    Dondgc said:

I got vaccinated as soon as I was eligible (February, Moderna). Still got Covid early this month. Thankfully it was mild.
    I know a couple people who got covid last week and the moderna months ago.  Very mild cases, scratchy throat type colds.  The delta variant gives people viral loads that are 2 orders of magnitude over previous variants, partly why it's so contagious, I suppose.

got my 2nd dose of Moderna 2 weeks ago and been sick with fever for 2 days; it better work!

paqman said:
    got my 2nd dose of Moderna 2 weeks ago and been sick with fever for 2 days; it better work!
    That means it's working.   Congrats.

Dondgc said:

The analogy I’ve heard that’s helpful is to view the vaccine as kind of like having an umbrella in the rain.  It won’t completely prevent you from getting wet (sick), but it’ll stop you from getting soaked (hospitalization, death).

Nearly everyone dying of covid these days has been unvaccinated.  Why eligible people remain hesitant is mystifying to me, especially when it’s free and readily available in the US.
    Im guessing the whole nobody knows the long term effects of the vaccine would be the main reason. I know you are the smart one but thats what common sense told me.
  • nolaegghead
    Lit said:
    Dondgc said:

The analogy I’ve heard that’s helpful is to view the vaccine as kind of like having an umbrella in the rain.  It won’t completely prevent you from getting wet (sick), but it’ll stop you from getting soaked (hospitalization, death).

Nearly everyone dying of covid these days has been unvaccinated.  Why eligible people remain hesitant is mystifying to me, especially when it’s free and readily available in the US.
    Im guessing the whole nobody knows the long term effects of the vaccine would be the main reason. I know you are the smart one but thats what common sense told me.
    Common sense, to me, is to let the people who have studied this stuff their entire lives with thousands of years of collective experience in universities and research laboratories specializing in microbiology and pathology decide the risks don't outweigh the risks of sickness and mortality (and a lifetime of preexisting conditions like ED) from the virus and all the future issues of a mutating virus that doesn't go away.

That said, Lit, I think if you have any reservations you should make your own decision.  But please let your pediatrician decide for your kids.

Lit said:
    Dondgc said:

Yes, you are right.
  • Lit said:
    Dondgc said:

What do the long term effects of death look like by comparison?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Lit said:
    Dondgc said:

Common sense, to me, is to let the people who have studied this stuff their entire lives with thousands of years of collective experience in universities and research laboratories specializing in microbiology and pathology decide the risks don't outweigh the risks of sickness and mortality (and a lifetime of preexisting conditions like ED) from the virus and all the future issues of a mutating virus that doesn't go away.

That said, Lit, I think if you have any reservations you should make your own decision.  But please let your pediatrician decide for your kids.

You mean the people who studied this stuff that missed the issues with the J&J? Trust them? To be clear I am not against the vaccine at all I got my 1st Moderna shot 2-3 weeks ago and my wife is 3 or so week past her 2nd shot. We waited to atleast be able to rule out some short term side effects. John saying he is mystified why people dont want an unproven substance shot into their body that still doesnt stop you from getting COVID is a silly ass comment. As for my kids unless things change and COVID starts affecting children more my kids wont get the vaccine until it has time to be studied further.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864

• nolaegghead
    Lit said:
    Dondgc said:

What do the long term effects of death look like by comparison?
    God has a plan beyond our comprehension for EVERYTHING.  The universe is deterministic, as much as we think we have choices.  None of this matters.  All of this matters.
    edited July 2021
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Dondgc said:

You mean the people who studied this stuff that missed the issues with the J&J? Trust them? To be clear I am not against the vaccine at all I got my 1st Moderna shot 2-3 weeks ago and my wife is 3 or so week past her 2nd shot. We waited to atleast be able to rule out some short term side effects. John saying he is mystified why people dont want an unproven substance shot into their body that still doesnt stop you from getting COVID is a silly ass comment. As for my kids unless things change and COVID starts affecting children more my kids wont get the vaccine until it has time to be studied further.

The issue with the J&J vaccine was statistically less prevalent than a control group and was addressed in an abundance of caution.
    NOLA