Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    74 x 24-packs
    I don't think you can formulate anything into 74 that would make a rectangle of 24 packs. They must have a empty dummy box or two in it. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    74 x 24-packs
    I don't think you can formulate anything into 74 that would make a rectangle of 24 packs. They must have a empty dummy box or two in it. 
    Yep, no doubt.

Options
    WeberWho said:
    74 x 24-packs
    Probably an orientation thing, some sideways etc. Lifting it would be interesting
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    PBR now has a 1776 pack of beer. Brings a tear to my eye. #Merica!!!

Isn't PBR supposed to be the hipster / indie beer of choice?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Eoin said:
    WeberWho said:
    PBR now has a 1776 pack of beer. Brings a tear to my eye. #Merica!!!

Isn't PBR supposed to be the hipster / indie beer of choice?
    It's the working man's beer but hipsters have tried to take it over in years past. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Working my day job....but also printing a 3D model.  Had a couple failed attempts yesterday.  I'm digging this 3D printer.  It's fun and at times frustrating.  Learning curve isn't that bad.  I'm into anything mechanical/electrical.
    Options

Options

Options
    WeberWho said:
    74 x 24-packs
    Yep, no doubt.

there is only one way to find out
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
    Working my day job....but also printing a 3D model.  Had a couple failed attempts yesterday.  I'm digging this 3D printer.  It's fun and at times frustrating.  Learning curve isn't that bad.  I'm into anything mechanical/electrical/cats.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    Options
    Working my day job....but also printing a 3D model.  Had a couple failed attempts yesterday.  I'm digging this 3D printer.  It's fun and at times frustrating.  Learning curve isn't that bad.  I'm into anything mechanical/electrical.
    Are you going to print something off color for SGH?
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    An anatomically correct full scale something or another?  So many choices.
    Options
    keeping an eye on a brisket flat on my new XL
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    So I learned a few things on this 3D stuff.

Downloaded Ultimaker Cura software.  Loaded up a SLA file I found on the web and "sliced" it into the g-code file which is what I feed into the printer.

Need a part for a flag pole outside, I opened Fusion 360, drew the part.  Generated a vector graphic file, same deal with Cura.

Found some other software, haven't loaded or used it yet, but I can take pictures from all angles around an item, load them up in the software and generate a surface mesh map. Run filtering, smoothing, etc and generate a 3D file that I feed into Cura, slice and print.

Cool stuff.  I might digitize a BGE.
    Options
    My buddy (the Artist guy that works in my shop) took the demolition hammer I bought and mostly cleared out an old sump I can put my sump pump in and mitigate getting "Lake Pontchartrain" in the back whenever it rains hard.  He also chiseled out a run for the drain pipe and electrical.  Not bad for a cheap chinese demolition hammer (like $150 bucks). 
    Options
    my first (successful) print.  Almost 5 hours.   Used ABS filament, all I have right now.  ABS is strong but not the easiest to use.  Ordered some PLA which is much better at detail work and less prone to failing.

Should also keep in mind that ABS emits some rather toxic fumes and is best exhausted from an enclosed printer cabinet to the outdoors.
    PLA is not nearly as toxic but it is still preferable to ventilate the printer area as best you can.
    Also, also, it is not unheard of for some of these printers to randomly  release the magic smoke and/or burst into flames so I wouldn't keep your printer set up on a space full of combustible products or near a wall that could catch fire and burn your house down.

Also, also, also if running in a separate room or location it can be very useful to have a web cam set up so you can keep an eye/ear out for troubles. I used a spare older model of my Nest cams which allowed me to keep a browser window open so I could see and hear it running in case things went sideways.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• BlueRidgeSmokers
    Options
    Especially working the day jobs this week. Still kicking around the idea of a next-gen connected smoker controller (except I'll never be associated with such a thing after the "Misery" adaptations I've starred in).

Soaked a plank all day, doing wild sockeye for dinner.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited July 2021
    Options

Does that printer have a separate "jet", with dissolvable material, to allow large "overhangs"?  Your Sushi Cat has soft-enough overhangs it may have not been necessary.
    I was assigned to the MXSG 3-D Printing Lab for a year, but was not allowed to work that job (long story).  They had 3 smaller printers, and a $500K printer that could make just about anything, in plastic, up to 2' x 2' x 3' (I think they have one that does titanium now).  
    Bittersweet memories.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Enjoying a fine rectum stew 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options

Make sure you know where it drains,  and make sure you don’t flush anything down it you wouldn’t drink more or less, you probably already know that.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SGH
    Options
    Getting ready for all you can eat catfish tomorrow 👍

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    Options

Make sure you know where it drains,  and make sure you don’t flush anything down it you wouldn’t drink more or less, you probably already know that.
    That drain is defunct.  I had filled it up with concrete a couple years ago..  I'm going to put the sump pump there and drain it in the alley way (cement drain canal).  Yeah, it's rain water (after running through the shop floor).  Illegal for me to pipe into the sewage main.
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    my first (successful) print.  Almost 5 hours.   Used ABS filament, all I have right now.  ABS is strong but not the easiest to use.  Ordered some PLA which is much better at detail work and less prone to failing.

Should also keep in mind that ABS emits some rather toxic fumes and is best exhausted from an enclosed printer cabinet to the outdoors.
    PLA is not nearly as toxic but it is still preferable to ventilate the printer area as best you can.
    Also, also, it is not unheard of for some of these printers to randomly  release the magic smoke and/or burst into flames so I wouldn't keep your printer set up on a space full of combustible products or near a wall that could catch fire and burn your house down.

Also, also, also if running in a separate room or location it can be very useful to have a web cam set up so you can keep an eye/ear out for troubles. I used a spare older model of my Nest cams which allowed me to keep a browser window open so I could see and hear it running in case things went sideways.

Good point.  I didn't even think about the fumes.  No noticeable smell with the ABS or PLA I've used.   I'm going to put my printers in my workshop and will probably build enclosures for them (they work better).  

Fire is definitely a hazard.  We have a smoke detector.  When I get them in the shop I'll have to put some measures in place.  I have a monitored NVR system with high def cameras 
    Options
    "How Toxic Are ABS & PLA Fumes? 3D Safety Examines VOCs - 3D Printing Industry" https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/toxic-abs-pla-fumes-3dsafety-org-inquires-vocs-60796/
    Options
    Botch said:

Does that printer have a separate "jet", with dissolvable material, to allow large "overhangs"?  Your Sushi Cat has soft-enough overhangs it may have not been necessary.
    I was assigned to the MXSG 3-D Printing Lab for a year, but was not allowed to work that job (long story).  They had 3 smaller printers, and a $500K printer that could make just about anything, in plastic, up to 2' x 2' x 3' (I think they have one that does titanium now).  
    Bittersweet memories.  
    @Botch these are filament extrusion printers.  They can do horizontal bridges an overhangs.  If the design exceeds the material limits, you can design removable supports.  Everything is built layer by layer from the bottom up.  The work sticks to the build platform pretty well.  It has to, that Y axis jerks the work back and forth pretty violently.
    Options
    SGH said:
    I thought that is on Thursday???!!!

Now I'm just confused.

But I guess you can just recycle the same old tired fried catfish pics any day of the week.   =)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    SGH said:
    I thought that is on Thursday???!!!

Now I'm just confused.

But I guess you can just recycle the same old tired fried catfish pics any day of the week.   =)
    It’s only 3 days a week. Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Going to hit it tomorrow 👍

Status- Standing by.