Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best instant thermometer? (too many choices)

I originally had a Thermopen and liked it a lot, but like a lot of others found, it broke after a couple of years.  I currently have a Javalin, but it is a bit slower to read, and doesn't do well consecutively testing multiple items.  After a quick search on Amazon the market seems flooded with options these days...anything you have found to work well?  Priorities for me are quick (instant) read, small point/tip, good quality.  

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Thermapen One sounds like what you are looking for👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    That’s what will replace my 12+ year old classic. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• CPARKTX2 said:
    I originally had a Thermopen and liked it a lot, but like a lot of others found, it broke after a couple of years.  I currently have a Javalin, but it is a bit slower to read, and doesn't do well consecutively testing multiple items.  After a quick search on Amazon the market seems flooded with options these days...anything you have found to work well?  Priorities for me are quick (instant) read, small point/tip, good quality.  

Not sure which version you have but I have the Javelin Pro Duo and have never had a better instant read than that. I had the regular javelin and did not care for it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH said:
    I had the regular javelin and did not care for it. 
    I had the Javelin. Can’t say much about it though. Party Monster dropped it in a 5 gallon pot of 375 degree peanut oil. With that said, I can say it will not hold up to being submerged in 375 degree oil 😂

That would do it lol
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    I have a thermapen for at home.  Got a cheap Weber instant read for $12 to use at inlaws cabin (FIL is the 2 martini cooking method) and it works as good as thermapen overall
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    I have a thermapen ( basic) that has 10+ years on the clock.  Battery replaced once.  No real issues other than it needs to be fully opened to initially read.  
    I also believe in a backup.  Acquired an inexpensive Javelin (flash sale) several years ago that works well.  Within past couple of years bought a Javelin Pro Duo and that is the best for the $$ I have experienced.
    In fairness, the Javelins were not available 10+ years ago and the thermapen has definitely performed as advertised.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    $29. One of mine's already broke, but its replacement (under warranty) has been rock solid for several years now. I never should have bought the Thermapen - it's bulky and overpriced for my needs. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 682
    CPARKTX2 said:
    I originally had a Thermopen and liked it a lot, but like a lot of others found, it broke after a couple of years. 
    Do you still have your broken thermapen? have you tried repairing it? 

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Thermapen+Rotating+Hinge+Contact+Renewal/121288
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    I have MK4s and Duos , both comparable, Duo has a magnet which I both like and dislike, similar price point right now....for me, of Al the cooking " tools" I have, a thermometer is most important and im not cutting corners 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Baby Back Maniac did a review of the new One that Thermoworks sent him gratis:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    SonVolt said:
    $29. One of mine's already broke, but its replacement (under warranty) has been rock solid for several years now. I never should have bought the Thermapen - it's bulky and overpriced for my needs. 

I use and love my thermapen but I had a pop first and I have given 4-5 as gifts. For the kind of people who don't spend time on cooking forums especially it's a great gift and better than anything they'd buy out of the grocery store. If they would have bought one at all 
    Boom
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I'm another Javelin Pro Duo fan (and owner of multiple broken Thermapens).  The one caveat I'll throw out there with Lavatools is THERE IS NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT.  Consider their products disposable.  If you have a problem with them (or a probe for your Carbon Lite dies), you're on your own.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    njl said:
    I'm another Javelin Pro Duo fan (and owner of multiple broken Thermapens).  The one caveat I'll throw out there with Lavatools is THERE IS NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT.  Consider their products disposable.  If you have a problem with them (or a probe for your Carbon Lite dies), you're on your own.

I had one of my original Javelins die near the end of its warranty. I contacted them via email and they suggested I try a couple of things which I did and got no joy. They sent me a return label which I used to ship the dead one back and they sent me a replacement a couple weeks later. That was a year or two ago.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    HeavyG said:
    njl said:

I had one of my original Javelins die near the end of its warranty. I contacted them via email and they suggested I try a couple of things which I did and got no joy. They sent me a return label which I used to ship the dead one back and they sent me a replacement a couple weeks later. That was a year or two ago.
    I tried contacting them multiple times about my Carbon Lite probe (one of the sensors stopped reporting) and never heard back.  Last I looked, there is no phone contact info, so you're limited to their web contact form or email.  The more I looked into it, the more it looked like "Lavatools" is just one guy in California importing product from China.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    njl said:
    I tried contacting them multiple times about my Carbon Lite probe (one of the sensors stopped reporting) and never heard back.  Last I looked, there is no phone contact info, so you're limited to their web contact form or email.  The more I looked into it, the more it looked like "Lavatools" is just one guy in California importing product from China.
    @njl,@Lavatools is a member here, though not active at all. 2018 last post I think. Still, perhaps he/she can be contacted through this forum. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• carl292
    carl292 Posts: 44
    thermapop $30 and 8 yrs later, no issues.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I got a ThermoPro Amazon lightning deal for $14 last year and it reads fast and accurate. Doesn't get a lot of use though.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited June 2021
    I'm still using my Thermoworks Thermapen from 2007.  The thing will not break so I have missed out on all the newer models.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    I'm still using my Thermoworks Thermapen from 2007.  The thing will not break so I have missed out on all the newer models.  
    Same here.
  • Runamuck
    Runamuck Posts: 38
    I love my Thermapen Mark IV. Thinking about another to keep in my camper.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Runamuck said:
    I love my Thermapen Mark IV. Thinking about another to keep in my camper.
    Then you better stop thinking about it and order one fast. They are closing out that model (30% off sale). 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    njl said:
    I had one crack where the probe attaches and opens. I contacted them. They sent me a new one. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited July 2021
    I have a couple of thermapens, Thermopops, and lavatools javelins. 

Someone on the forum mentioned the Thermoworks DASH mini, on another thread a while ago, and that’s my current favorite. 

It’s easy to carry on a neck lanyard or in your pocket. Gave away the thermopops, because of the design. I like that you have to unfold the probe each time fir use. Form factor is very similar to thermos used in foodservice. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.