Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mojo Cuban pork - cubanos - cook with PICS 🐷🇨🇺

TheToast
TheToast Posts: 376
edited April 2021 in Pork
Hey folks. So I watched the movie Chef the other week for the first time and then really wanted to eat some Cuban pork. And specifically a cubanos sandwich.

So I got myself 3.6kg of boneless pork shoulder, made the mojo marinade and bathed the pork in it for 24hrs, then smoked it with a chunk of cherry wood.

220c for 30mins. Then 180c for approx 3hrs. Pulled at 73c so it was sliceable. 

I could not believe how tasty this was. The marinade is exceptional. 

This is the method I followed

I was concerned that it may be dry if sliceable rather than pulled but it was so juicy. 

I ate it as a roast with roast potatoes and veg the first time, then make sandwiches the next few times using the cubanos method from here. And I think it actually is the best sandwich I’ve ever had. 

Method for the sandwich: 

Comments

• MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,349
    Very nice
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,823
    I’d hit it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    That’s an outstanding example of a Cuban- nice work and loved that movie. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,406
    Outstanding! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,680
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Great post and fantastic cook!  I LOVE a good Cuban sandwich
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Awesome !

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    oh man, that looks tasty. 

That movie changed my grilled cheese sammich game forever. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,739
    That looks terrific!
    Stillwater, MN
  • That looks delicious.  I’d say you earned some corn starch for the werewolves.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,528
    Fantastic
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Awesome, that looks great!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,777
    4 years in Tampa got me loving Cuban sandwiches.  That looks as good as any I've ever had.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Incredible. Thanks for the link to the recipe.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Oh my lord.  As a sandwich junkie, I always look forward to a Cuban.  This is seriously leveled up.  

I don’t recall seeing your handle often on the forum, but I’ll click on everything you post from now on.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Wow!  I only have made Cubanos with left over pulled pork and not the full marinated mojo version.  That looks AMAZING.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,081
    How did I not see this til now.  Great cook and that Cubano...Incredible.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Just came back to look again.  This is on my shortlist 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Nice job! Love a good Cuban! I need to do this soon, I am drooling.
    LBGE
    AL
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Outstanding !!  Cubans & Reubens make the world go round.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I could not live without Cuban sandwiches. These look amazing! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 1,986

and I’m so cooking this. Looks similar to what @Mattman3969 cooked. SWMBO has ordered a panini press. 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 1,986
    edited June 2021
    @TheToast ... the Chef film came on Amazon Prime last night so we watched it and I remebered your awesome cook. I plan to make this next weekend and do the same as you, cook it as a roast and have it with roast potatoes and then use the rest for sandwiches. For the sandwiches, where did you get your pickles from? Our standard ones come from Waitrose which are ok but nothing special. What bread did you use? We have a panini press on order.

Also I was interested to see that the recipe (and your cook) had the shoulder cooked at 220C and then 180C. My understanding of pork shoulder is that it needed to be cooked low 'n' slow to break down connective tissue inherent in that part of the animal. But your pork looked good, was it tough in any way when you had it as a roast?
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    This looks fantastic. I'm assuming it would work with a bone in shoulder it would just change the cook time. I may try this out this week

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TheToast
    edited June 2021
    YES @Stormbringer, get on board the cubanos train. Whoop whoop!

I use Ms Elwood sweet cucumber slices. These IMO are the best sliced cucumbers from a supermarket. Make sure you get the slices - they also do whole and spears. 

I bought ciabatta bread from a supermarket. 

And yes I cooked to that recipe. You actually don’t want to do it low and slow because the intention is for it to be sliced, rather than pulled pork.

Couple of other tips: I made extra (perhaps 30% more) marinade because the pork joint was so big but I then ended with a massive bath of the stuff! But it worked out well - would do it the same again.

Marinade for 24hrs but apparently not more because meat can break down after that particularly due to the citrus - and then it gets sloppy.

Also I don’t have a panini press - I squished it in a frying pan. A press would be great though.

Good luck and post photos! 
  • TheToast
    This looks fantastic. I'm assuming it would work with a bone in shoulder it would just change the cook time. I may try this out this week
    I got the neck-end of a shoulder and asked butcher to remove the bone. Then it’s easier to slice for sandwiches. So that’s my recommendation! (Also few UK butchers would know what a pork butt is so I normally ask for neck end, but thats my fault for living in UK). 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    WOW!  Great post . . . I went searching for Cuban Restaurants near me and also followed your url & printed it out.  Thank You for posting!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Srpete01
    Srpete01 Posts: 28
    Only one thing left to do now... buy a food truck