Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    I hate this forum so much. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Beer can surf and surf. 

This is a truth in egging admission— the tuna steak was delicious but it was done too soon in the cook and hung out waiting on the lobster. 

I tried to do the “indirect 375-400 and 1.5 minutes per oz with just evoo and smoked paprika” recipe for the lobster and also do a tuna steak but the lobster took way too long (over 15 minutes) to get to 140 degrees.  I even resorted to accelerating the tails on the foil meat side down briefly. The lobster texture was perfect and tasted phenomenally great.  The tuna tasted great and was moist but it was not the “seared sushi top of the food chain” trophy money shot cook. I have done several legendary tuna steak sears at higher temps and should have just done them separately.  Riced cauliflower side for a great meal. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @Buckwoody Egger I have found that if you want a quicker lobster tail cook-just split the tails and go.  Generally 5-7 minutes tops.  Every time I go for the presentation cook/look they take around 15 minutes as I recall.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    SonVolt said:
    I hate this forum so much. 
    My sincere apologies for ruining it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Beer can surf and surf. 

This is a truth in egging admission— the tuna steak was delicious but it was done too soon in the cook and hung out waiting on the lobster. 

I tried to do the “indirect 375-400 and 1.5 minutes per oz with just evoo and smoked paprika” recipe for the lobster and also do a tuna steak but the lobster took way too long (over 15 minutes) to get to 140 degrees.  I even resorted to accelerating the tails on the foil meat side down briefly. The lobster texture was perfect and tasted phenomenally great.  The tuna tasted great and was moist but it was not the “seared sushi top of the food chain” trophy money shot cook. I have done several legendary tuna steak sears at higher temps and should have just done them separately.  Riced cauliflower side for a great meal. 

Not quite sure what purposed the beer can serves?  :confused:  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    It's 2021... pics should not be an orientation issue! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    @JohnInCarolina you did not ruin it!  We all love you except a few.   😁
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    much better
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap said:
    @Buckwoody Egger I have found that if you want a quicker lobster tail cook-just split the tails and go.  Generally 5-7 minutes tops.  Every time I go for the presentation cook/look they take around 15 minutes as I recall.  FWIW-
    Cap this sounds good but how would I check the temp with my thermapen with the meat side down?  I would have to poke a hole in the shell. Kidding of course. This is the first attempt and your times match my experience— based on the final product being so good I will do this way again and have the right expectation for duration. 
  • Botch said:
    Beer can surf and surf. 
    Saves me from also posting in the “what are you drinking” thread 

playlist was Hayes Carll radio 
  • Botch said:
    Beer can surf and surf. 
    Saves me from also posting in the “what are you drinking” thread 

playlist was Hayes Carll radio 
    What's your favorite Hayes Carll tune? Mine's in my tag line. I also really dig 'Drunken Poets Dream' that he wrote with Ray Wylie Hubbard (I like RWH's version a little better). 
    Formerly @dharley prior to some password bs.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, bad liver & a broken heart

Three Rivers, MI
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited April 2021
    SonVolt said:

That looks spectacular... the lamb, the setting, and the composition of the pic. Very nicely done. 

I hope you were able to get up off the floor in good time =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Tonight Chicken Legs on the Medium - 
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @Botch That’s a good one. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • What's your favorite Hayes Carll tune? Mine's in my tag line. I also really dig 'Drunken Poets Dream' that he wrote with Ray Wylie Hubbard (I like RWH's version a little better). 

I have not listened to him enough to have a favorite but have enjoyed them all, usually hit repeat on "another like you".  He's fun like Todd Snider.  Had forgotten about him as an artist honestly until I came across where Steve Earle insulted 'his ex wifes new husband' and then realized he was showing up, if i recall correctly, on REK and Hubbard's radio on Spotify.  It's taken a while but i am 100% on board with subscription no-ad streaming, it's got enough content and they keep it as fresh or more as old school radio and the used cd store.  The other way to discover new music was by seeing who opened for who, etc.
  • SonVolt
    Botch said:
    ^^^ Must be Australian lamb.  

Thanks @JohnInCarolina

@Botch - probably. It's whatever Costco carries. Pretty tasty.  Sitting behind it is half a tenderloin I've had in the freezer for 6 months. 
  • SonVolt said:

Flagged for abuse... ‘cause who eats on the ceiling, really?
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534

A little Souther comfort
    Lawrenceville, GA