Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lost another forum old-timer. Sundown (from Massachusetts)

Options
Sundown was a forum regular back in the early 2000s. A good guy. Gave as much as he got and never once seemed to think anyone was actually being serious when the barbs started flying. 

He was a big fan of Pearl’s hot dogs, and took to mailing tens of pounds of the things to MadMax (another forum regular from the old days), who was outside their sales territory. 

Sundown would sometimes ring me up, and we’d meet at Fred’d Franks, a rolling cart that had a BGE and sold Pearl’s jumbos. Fishlessman met us once, essexco, and a few other Boston-area forum members. 

I got the news today from MadMax (king of the BGE turkey). 

Here’s the obituary: Sundown

Comments

• WesJohnson
    WesJohnson Posts: 130
    Options
    thanks for the heads up John and Carey
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Rest In Peace, @Sundown.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

WesJohnson = Still don't get it.
    edited April 2021
    Options
    RIP, Sundown
    Options
    Sailor rest your oar.  Condolences to his family and friends. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,899
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. I certainly remember him and I know we had conversed a few times in private as well.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,982
    Options
    Thanks for letting us know.  I think I only had a few interactions with him here.  He wasn't posting all that much by the time I joined. 

80 years old.  From the obit, it sounds like he had a good run.  In the end that's all we can ask for, but I hope he passed away surrounded by family and friends.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,771
    Options
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I did not know him. But still sorry to hear of his passing. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    sad to hear this . . .
    I will anyways remember all the back and forth banter he and Egret had over the chili comp at the 2011(?) Ocala Eggfest . . . very funny!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @Sundown

Edit- nevermind, I see it referenced ahead of me.  I should have looked first.
    Options
    You’re an idiot. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    thats too bad, a real nice guy. one of the best on the old forum
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Yo Pig......you haven’t been here for very long (roughly a year). You must have been a lurker for many years before joining. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    Yo Pig......you haven’t been here for very long (roughly a year). You must have been a lurker for many years before joining. 
    Nothing gets by you!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,031
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear this. Prayers for his family and friends. Always a top notch egger. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    Options
    I did not know @Sundown, but am sorry for his friends and families loss.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Something we are all born to do unfortunately. 

It always creates a moment of reflection when we lose a member of our extended family. We, of course, here in our home, will also remember Sundown’s family and loved ones are the ones suffering right now and send along our most sincere condolences.

As a member of the BGE community, and never having the opportunity, to either meet or converse with Sundown, the best effort for me, will be to raise a toast in his honor, and continue to enjoy the remaining time we have left that he, and all our friends we lost, would have wanted us to do.

Condolences to his friends here on the forum. Celebrate him as you knew him.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky