Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Show Me Your Art

Options
Whether you created it, your friend did, or you heisted it from le musée du Louvre, show me the pieces that give soul to your home.

To get the ball rolling, this is a meaningful visual that I take in daily. 

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options

Some art work my Dad brought back from the Philippines after WWII
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I don't have any real art but I've collected silk screen posters from Dave Matthews Band concerts I've attended. All still rolled in cardboard tubes. One of these days they'll find a frame and a wall. 

Those are really cool. Just take them with you to Costco and get them framed already. You’ll be happy you did. 

Saw DMB back in the early 2000s. The real treat was that Bela Fleck opened for them, and the second set featured Fleck and co. just jamming along. Highlight for me was a 30 minute rendition of #41. Available here, if you’re curious. 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    We have sh!tloads of art, much in storage.  Stuff we made, friends made, originals from other artists and some prints that we bought.  Much in storage.  To scratch the surface....

Really a cool collection, Carey. Can you advise as to which pieces are yours/Brigitte’s (sp?)?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I don't have any real art but I've collected silk screen posters from Dave Matthews Band concerts I've attended. All still rolled in cardboard tubes. One of these days they'll find a frame and a wall. 
    Those are really cool. Just take them with you to Costco and get them framed already. You’ll be happy you did. 

Saw DMB back in the early 2000s. The real treat was that Bela Fleck opened for them, and the second set featured Fleck and co. just jamming along. Highlight for me was a 30 minute rendition of #41. Available here, if you’re curious. 

What a trip! What a perfect opener and to come out to jam with them when have been even better! How cool is that! I'll definitely give it a listen when I'm out in the garage this afternoon. 

The only poster I don't have is the Alpine show in 03. It was the first year they made posters for each of their shows. It's a regular poster and not silk screened. I've only ever come across one or two of the posters for that particular show and I either missed the sale or they sold for way too much. I've always thought about making my own poster for the show. Just to have something to hang for that particular show.

What's cool about the silk screen is that their limited to around a thousand posters per show and signed by the artist who made the poster. Once I redo my basement I'll definitely have to get them out and framed. 

Thanks again for the video. I can't wait to give that a listen!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:

What a trip! What a perfect opener and to come out to jam with them when have been even better! How cool is that! I'll definitely give it a listen when I'm out in the garage this afternoon. 

The only poster I don't have is the Alpine show in 03. It was the first year they made posters for each of their shows. It's a regular poster and not silk screened. I've only ever come across one or two of the posters for that particular show and I either missed the sale or they sold for way too much. I've always thought about making my own poster for the show. Just to have something to hang for that particular show.

What's cool about the silk screen is that their limited to around a thousand posters per show and signed by the artist who made the poster. Once I redo my basement I'll definitely have to get them out and framed. 

Cool backstory. My suggestion is to stay on your search and if you’re persistent, you will find the Alpine poster - though I would expect you’ll have to shell out for it. I have a friend who is a huge, huge DMB fan. Incredibly tight band live. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:

Cool backstory. My suggestion is to stay on your search and if you’re persistent, you will find the Alpine poster - though I would expect you’ll have to shell out for it. I have a friend who is a huge, huge DMB fan. Incredibly tight band live. 
    I want to say they sold somewhere around $400/piece. If money were endless I wouldn't even question it. The downfall is that it's a regular poster. I don't think the wife would be on board. I can't even see myself spending that type of money on a poster. The hard part is that it's incredibly rare to come across one being the first year of posters. The show already had a limited amount of posters and not too many have stuck around pushing 20 years later. The other bummer part was that they used the same image for a good portion of the tour that year and just changed the show name on the poster. So the poster itself isn't really anything that special but a still a "want" type thing. There is website called Dave posters that shows all the different types of posters made for each show. The last time I checked they didn't even have a poster image for the show I attended. For the longest time I didn't even think they made one. I've seen a couple now over the years of searching and I know they exist. Definitely a unicorn for DMB posters!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:

One note - I have absolutely found framing to be something you get what you pay for.  We’ve taken things to Michael’s to be framed and then had to take them somewhere else to be reframed.  

For prints and simple things we’ve been using frameiteasy.com.  You just need to measure your frame, pick some styles, and a week or so later a US made frame shows up.  I’ve had one CS interaction, and it was easy too, I’d highly recommend them.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    Some pieces from around the house:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Big brother....

...And little brother.

Still looking to get a third from this artist, whom we love. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,475
    Options
    Where is that, @Yno?  Perfect light and wind conditions (the reflection)!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Yno said:

Up before dawn, drive in the dark on a skinny mountain road with no guardrail, hike in the dark to the edge of the lake, and hope for a nice sunrise.

40" x 60" canvas print in my living room. One of my favorite photos.

Wow. That’s a stunner!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Yno: Again, beautiful. Can we please see the canvas?
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Nice stuff, people
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Whether you created it, your friend did, or you heisted it from le musée du Louvre, show me the pieces that give soul to your home.

Guess I took this to be too literal!  Art to me is something that we appreciate and ESPECIALLY something that WE MADE. 

As a simple for instance...

Or using something found in nature...and then made useful

Or say this "Rocky Snail" I made for some friends boys...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options

Ernie Barnes’ ‘Sugar Shack’, If I remember 30x40 canvas wrapped.

Columbus, Ohio
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Botch said:
    Where is that, @Yno?  Perfect light and wind conditions (the reflection)!  
    It is called North Lake (how original!) and is in the Eastern Sierras, southwest of Bishop.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Do you want to see what it looks like on my wall? If I haven't misunderstood you, here it is.

XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    My Uncle is a ceramic artist of some renown out near Portland. If you Google Astoria Anagama kiln he will come up. We have several of his pieces in our home, but can’t find the photos (currently visiting the wife at the hospital). He is somewhat eccentric, as you would expect of an artist from Portland, as evidenced by his sky blue tooth he made and had his dentist implant.

Here are some images of his work:

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    CTMike said:
    My Uncle is a ceramic artist of some renown out near Portland. If you Google Astoria Anagama kiln he will come up. We have several of his pieces in our home, but can’t find the photos (currently visiting the wife at the hospital). He is somewhat eccentric, as you would expect of an artist from Portland, as evidenced by his sky blue tooth he made and had his dentist implant.

Here are some images of his work:

Wow. Beautiful. My wife and m-I-l are huge into pottery, so I will have to show them this. 

All the best to your wife in hospital. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Yno said:
    Do you want to see what it looks like on my wall? If I haven't misunderstood you, here it is.

You got it. Again, phenomenal piece.