Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Show Me Your Art

Comments

• RRP said:
    Whether you created it, your friend did, or you heisted it from le musée du Louvre, show me the pieces that give soul to your home.

Guess I took this to be too literal!  Art to me is something that we appreciate and ESPECIALLY something that WE MADE. 

As a simple for instance...

Or using something found in nature...and then made useful

Or say this "Rocky Snail" I made for some friends boys...

Those are great, Ron. I especially like that rocking snail and could easily imagine my toddler having a great time on that. 
  • SamIAm2 said:

Painted by a member of the Florida Highwaymen, R. L. Lewis- born in Cocoa, Fl.
    Wife bought these when he came to visit her boss, Author Patrick D. Smith, the Director of College Relations at the local community college.

These were from a local art festival.

The next two are color laser printed on aluminum foil. 
    Couldn't get a clean photo of the next two, camera couldn't figure out what to focus on. This is a very detailed carving which the glass frame fits over so you can look at it from any angle. 

Some shower tile work our son put in for us.

This  carving is made from Royal Poinciana wood.

I added this last photo for @Great_EGGspectations. It is a 3D, 'papier mache' image.

Super eclectic collection, John. Love it. Especially like the work done by your son as well as the last piece - a well-deserved nod to your contributions. What an honour.

(As an aside, one of the members of my team grew up in Cocoa.)
  • @Acn: A nice, varied collection. Particularly like the no. 2 photo that appears to be indigenous in origin. My uncle owns some indigenous art that I love. 
  • I’ve mentioned this in another thread, but recently, I’ve had fantastic luck scoring art that I love in the classifieds. Here’s one such example I picked up in the last few months. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    "Exploding lily pond" =)
    Yno Posts: 529
    Thanks for the compliments!
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    I’ve mentioned this in another thread, but recently, I’ve had fantastic luck scoring art that I love in the classifieds. Here’s one such example I picked up in the last few months. 

Cool light - and thanks for your comments. The collection was, of course created over a long period of time. Mostly small pieces for our smaller house. Another selection from our collection . Title - Love is Patient
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    @Acn: A nice, varied collection. Particularly like the no. 2 photo that appears to be indigenous in origin. My uncle owns some indigenous art that I love. 
    Thanks!  My wife (then girlfriend) got me that and the chess set below (I didn't think of the set with the original post because it is in a curio with things that are pretty much all hers or our daughters) when she went on an Alaskan cruise after finishing her MA.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    CTMike said:
    My Uncle is a ceramic artist of some renown out near Portland. If you Google Astoria Anagama kiln he will come up. We have several of his pieces in our home, but can’t find the photos (currently visiting the wife at the hospital). He is somewhat eccentric, as you would expect of an artist from Portland, as evidenced by his sky blue tooth he made and had his dentist implant.

Here are some images of his work:

Wow. Beautiful. My wife and m-I-l are huge into pottery, so I will have to show them this. 

All the best to your wife in hospital. 
    If they would like to see more, have them go to Facebook and search Ahi Kaa Roa Anagama kiln and his page will come up. The kiln is massive (20+ feet long) in the shape of a whale. He and a group of other artists collect wood from the beaches and wherever they can find it and fire the kiln once a quarter. They take turns feeding wood in to the beast 24/7 for a week. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Acn said:
    @Acn: A nice, varied collection. Particularly like the no. 2 photo that appears to be indigenous in origin. My uncle owns some indigenous art that I love. 
    Thanks!  My wife (then girlfriend) got me that and the chess set below (I didn't think of the set with the original post because it is in a curio with things that are pretty much all hers or our daughters) when she went on an Alaskan cruise after finishing her MA.

Cool chess set tho it appears the board is not set up properly. Since your board has the algebraic notation marked on the board white always starts on ranks 1 and 2.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    HeavyG said:
    Acn said:

Cool chess set tho it appears the board is not set up properly. Since your board has the algebraic notation marked on the board white always starts on ranks 1 and 2.
    Thanks - you are right; clearly I just wasn't paying attention when I was resetting it after we moved the curio last time my wife rearranged the furniture on the ground floor.  Next time we dust in the curio I'll have to correct.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• This is my day job.
    Concord, CA
  • lkapigian said:

That you in your earlier years?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    lkapigian said:

Lol
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    lkapigian said:

Back when he was slim and had hair.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian said:

I know the feeling. 🙂
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    lkapigian said:

Hey, I resemble that remark 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    Got some folk/graffiti art today (bunch not shown)
    edited May 2021
    Got some folk/graffiti art today (bunch not shown)
    Way to fancy up the playhouse. Where’d you find your score?

Edit: We once stayed at a fantastic apartment in downtown San Juan, Puerto Rico that was owned by art lovers. The pieces were similar to what you feature here. My personal favourite was a mural that started on the second floor but included paint dripping down to the main level. Just gorgeous. If I come across a photo, I’ll share. 
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839
    Closest thing I own to art.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I'm disappointed not one of you Rich MFers has a Picasso or Monet on your walls.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nolaegghead
    I have a van Gogh, worth a small fortune.

edited May 2021

I feel that the subtle way the sunlight cascades off the driveway shadowed by the skeeter truly accentuates the level of white trash associated with the Trump 2020 banner hanging in the window. To me it's almost a metaphor for our society in 2021 wouldn't you say?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead

I feel that the subtle way the sunlight cascades off the driveway shadowed by the skeeter truly accentuates the level of white trash associated with the Trump 2020 banner hanging in the window. To me it's almost a metaphor for our society in 2021 wouldn't you say?

Suddenly, I feel your pain.  Sometimes art can trigger an epiphany, in this case, a clear, nihalistic world-view.
    My son has my favorite art display in our house.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700

I think the underlying simile of the overlying metaphor both brings out the essential humanity of us all, while at the same time emphasizing the utter futility of even getting out of bed most days.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories