Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Don’t Understand this Forum?

Options

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    Wait,  there's food threads on here too?  
    Ok, who flagged that?  Sneaky,  you must have done it while I was reading the 'what you buying'  or  'what you are drinking'  or ' what are you doing v1 and v2' threads.
    Some people just have a deep jealousy of your knowledge of football (the real one).
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    Options
    Hang in there, I didn’t understand this forum when I was a noob either.  It took some time but then I realized how it reminds me of the locker room before a big fencing meet.  Lots of hijinx and everyone is talking about so many different things and taking swipes at each other but it’s just the anxiety.  Everyone really loves each other.
    One does not mention fencing in passing.  We need details!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • PeteSliver
    Options
    Hang in there, I didn’t understand this forum when I was a noob either.  It took some time but then I realized how it reminds me of the locker room before a big fencing meet.  Lots of hijinx and everyone is talking about so many different things and taking swipes at each other but it’s just the anxiety.  Everyone really loves each other.
    I’m afraid that’s all I can do it mention it in passing.  I worked off some detention at a gym in school, I didn’t fence or learn anything about it.  Truth be told I was pretty intimidated because it was all rich kids, but not the cool rich kids, they all played lacross, it was kind of the awkward ones.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    Options
    I’m afraid that’s all I can do it mention it in passing.  I worked off some detention at a gym in school, I didn’t fence or learn anything about it.  Truth be told I was pretty intimidated because it was all rich kids, but not the cool rich kids, they all played lacross, it was kind of the awkward ones.
    Hahahaha, that sounds like this forum.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    "Pete's Liver"?  There's a medical synonym for that.
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    A few trolls are around. As my momma would say, "They would argue with a post." (fence post)
    Was it something I said?
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    DainW said:
    One of my other interests is fly fishing. 
    @DainW you like fishing for flies?  Leave a crawfish under a drivers car seat but leave the window open - you should be able to catch a bunch of flies all at once.   (Inside joke - don’t ask.) 

People around here seem to really love stories just as much as cooks. Want proof? Look at the what are you doing/buying now threads. Tie them together and you might have a masterpiece. Or you can have fun and take it in another direction like the tree rats and fancy wine thread.  

You like fly fishing? Post some pics and stories, and finish with the cook.

No idea where you are, but you are not alone in the love of fly fishing. Whether a tiny native brook trout in a small mountain stream, a grayling in high altitude lake, or a yellowfin tuna - I will throw a fly at it if I can.  Here is my first yellowfin on a fly back in the mid 90’s  True offshore fly fishing was pretty much in its infancy then. Post a picture fly fishing and I know you will get a “like” from me   

is that a 13 wt rplx, if it is i had one modified with an extended butt section back then, was hoping for a mako. did catch a few bullshark with it and almost got a fly into the mouth of a 20 somethin foot baskin. thought i was going to lose the transom and motor when it rubbed its back on the little 20 foot boat i run
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    SciAggie said:
    A few trolls are around. As my momma would say, "They would argue with a post." (fence post)
    Was it something I said?
    That's funny.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • A1_on_A5
    A1_on_A5 Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm new here too, but I like the flow of the forum. There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable members here
    Medium BGE
    Somewhere in NC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    Welcome aboard @A1_on_A5 .  Continue to enjoy the journey and above all, have fun.  I have confidence that the A5 in your handle is not referring to Japanese A5 wagyu beef.  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Excellent eye @fishlessman.  I still use the rod. 14-15 wt. I never got a mako on the fly but I  can’t tell you how many blue sharks I have on it. Fun to catch them when they scare off the meat fish during a chunking trip.  This rod, although considered ancient and possibly an antique, is a workhorse.  It is also the only fly rod I have with a gimble which as you know is a groin saver. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Options
    Fly fishing, forks, fencing, trolls.  What’s not to understand about the forum?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Excellent eye @fishlessman.  I still use the rod. 14-15 wt. I never got a mako on the fly but I  can’t tell you how many blue sharks I have on it. Fun to catch them when they scare off the meat fish during a chunking trip.  This rod, although considered ancient and possibly an antique, is a workhorse.  It is also the only fly rod I have with a gimble which as you know is a groin saver. 

couldnt imagine casting a 15, it takes all my effort with the 13. there seems to always be bluesharks out there, used to just go for the sharks. occasionally hook a giant bluefin but my gear was way undersized
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    "Pete's Liver"?  There's a medical synonym for that.
    Something something three kinds of people in this world...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

couldnt imagine casting a 15, it takes all my effort with the 13. there seems to always be bluesharks out there, used to just go for the sharks. occasionally hook a giant bluefin but my gear was way undersized
    You guys are on a different planet with this saltwater stuff. I just picked up a 10 ft 2 weight lol
  • fishlessman
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

heres a blue, bad pic and it was 20 attempts not to get bit. bendy like a snake when tailed

82c68b54jpg

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    DainW said:
    Sea2Ski said:

You guys are on a different planet with this saltwater stuff. I just picked up a 10 ft 2 weight lol

nice size for the float tube. my smallest is a 3 wt 6 foot midge rod bamboo. asked the guy that built iif i could catch an atlantic on it before buying it. first fish and right infront of the house

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    @fishlessman - I am trying to reconcile your forum handle with the fact that you seem to catch plenty of fish!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    DainW said:
    Sea2Ski said:

My favorite rod that I have is a 7’6” 2 wt that I built. Such a pleasure to cast.  The stalking of a fish in a mountain steam with double haul to a rising trout is as exciting as any large offshore fish I have fought, if not more so. 

As for the 14wt @fishlessman -  I really do not cast it much. A small roll cast is about as much as a cast as I can do on an offshore boat. With the outriggers, always present wind, and others wanting to have a line in, there is no room.  I have a quick sink shooting head, intermediate running line and a crap ton of backing.  If chunking, I let the fly drift out with the chunks. Once I think I have the right depth, I strip retrieve as I am usually using a squid pattern. Strip it in 15-20 ft then twitch as I left it drift out.  That is the “cast”. 

If we are trolling and we are with footballs (small tuna) or around some Mahi, I will troll with the rod and the drag is up high. Can’t “set” a hook on the troll while holding the line  unless you want to rush degloving a finger. No thank you.   I am not going all IFGA regs to catch the fish. I am not trying to set any records. 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    @fishlessman - I am trying to reconcile your forum handle with the fact that you seem to catch plenty of fish!

dad coined it when i was a kid. always came home with the stories and no fish, he didnt understand catch and release back then.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    DainW said:
    Sea2Ski said:

My favorite rod that I have is a 7’6” 2 wt that I built. Such a pleasure to cast.  The stalking of a fish in a mountain steam with double haul to a rising trout is as exciting as any large offshore fish I have fought, if not more so. 

As for the 14wt @fishlessman -  I really do not cast it much. A small roll cast is about as much as a cast as I can do on an offshore boat. With the outriggers, always present wind, and others wanting to have a line in, there is no room.  I have a quick sink shooting head, intermediate running line and a crap ton of backing.  If chunking, I let the fly drift out with the chunks. Once I think I have the right depth, I strip retrieve as I am usually using a squid pattern. Strip it in 15-20 ft then twitch as I left it drift out.  That is the “cast”. 

If we are trolling and we are with footballs (small tuna) or around some Mahi, I will troll with the rod and the drag is up high. Can’t “set” a hook on the troll while holding the line  unless you want to rush degloving a finger. No thank you.   I am not going all IFGA regs to catch the fish. I am not trying to set any records. 

10 wt and up rplx are broom sticks, favorite big rod is an easy casting winston 9 weight that loads out of the handle
    fukahwee maine

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Wait, wait, wait ... we're supposed to post to get responses??

I just post my cooks so I can come back here and remember what the heck I did the last time to make it taste so good!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    DainW said:
    Sea2Ski said:

Exactly this. A brookie on an appropriately sized fly rod in a remote stream is as fun to catch as anything. 

As far as forks I can’t even remember who it was that has the visceral reaction against seeing a dirty fork. But I understand. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It was that FIFO guy.
    Options
    Then best of all threads is   BRISKET HOW I COOK IT    and others like it
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    The problem is when you view comments and likes as if they are votes when they aren’t. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    So there is a purpose.....I Egg, therefore I am, or something like that?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • A1_on_A5
    A1_on_A5 Posts: 21
    Options
    A1_on_A5 said:
    I'm new here too, but I like the flow of the forum. There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable members here

One thing that I don't understand is the flag for this post? What gives?
    Medium BGE
    Somewhere in NC