Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Don’t Understand this Forum?

Options
DainW
DainW Posts: 159
Hey guys relatively new to the forum, maybe within the last 6 months or so. Not sure I understand what’s going on here? 

Post a money brisket cook, get like 5 responses. Post something about Tiger Woods or something political, 100+ responses in a couple of hours, forum moderators have to shut it down. 

Also can someone explain any unwritten rules about posting cooks? I read somewhere it’s considered poor form to have silverware in the shot? Is that right? Anything else like that? 

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Belated welcome!

To put it bluntly, without the shenanigans this place will be as boring as hell  =)

Want proof? take a look at greeneggers.com

edit: this thread can generate 100+ responses  ;)
    canuckland
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    -pictures or it didn't happen 
    -no silverware 
    -welcome to the Sh** show

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited February 2021
    Options
    A good portion of people who post here have been on the forum for years. So a good portion of us have seen many, many briskets, ribs, pulled pork posts etc. I have zero issue and more than likely click on the post to check it out as I'm always learning something. 

The silverware is more of a inside joke with a forum member and not liking forks in pictures. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    You have been here long enough to know that there are hot button topics that will generate lots of comments and debate.  It makes this a more friendly place unless it is late at night and the adult beverages are flowing, then it can get less friendly.  
    There are many non BBQ related subjects that get posted here as the forum breadth of talents and skills run across the spectrum.  Lots of useful information to be had in those topics and generally lots of interest. 
    In general, "normal" cook posts will generate a few comments but since there is nothing out of the ordinary, there is nothing to generate excitement.  When a unique and first-time posted cook shows up it will garner many comments as it is new to most here.
    I am unaware of any unwritten rules.  Some members may object to the silverware (most specifically forks) but that's a personal issue. 
    All above just my opinion and observations.  FWIW-
    BTW- this place can put a hurt on your discretionary $$  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It sounds like you understand this forum perfectly.
    Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN - Find  Share on GIPHY

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Hang in there. I was confused as a noob too. 
    As far as silverware (especially forks) - it's an etiquette thing. Many people are repulsed by the thought of a tool that's been sloshed arounf inside someone's mouth and then displayed on a plate.

Posting cooks:
    You'll post cooks that get 50 views and 2 comments. You'll post cooks that get hundreds of views and many comments. It's how it goes. Just post cooks you want to post my friend. People will get to know you and make comments. 

OT threads - yes they blow up and get lots of views and comments. Train yourself early. If you don't like those threads just don't read them. Read the threads that interest you and let the rest go.

A few trolls are around. As my momma would say, "They would argue with a post." (fence post)
    Opinions are like anal sphincters - we all have them - and will share them. Over time you'll learn the folks here you want to listen to for advice. Argue if you want, or don't. This is just a BBQ forum on the internet - we ain't changing the world's views on anything.

Above all, have some fun here. Join the Friday night zoom - put some names and faces together. Cook, post, eat, drink, sleep, repeat.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    McStew said:
    -pictures or it didn't happen 
    -no silverware 
    -welcome to the Sh** show

I thought the rule was "no dirty silverware".  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Welcome to the jungle!

The first rule is... that there are no rules =)

Well there sort of are. Mainly, just be a decent person. That is harder for some, than for most. 

This forum is loosely moderated, which I  personally think is its strength. Its moderated to some degree by the natives. It generally works out. 

Post your cooks, your fails, your pets, etc. Some will be liked, some won't. It's all good. 

Lastly, remember not to take it too personally. It's just the internet.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    im good with the silverware, just dont put a bassboat in your yard =)
    I knew my neighbors would be cool with this in the yard.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Belated welcome!

To put it bluntly, without the shenanigans this place will be as boring as hell  =)

Want proof? take a look at greeneggers.com

edit: this thread can generate 100+ responses  ;)
    See what I mean?  Your amazing brisket thread generated and stopped at 9 responses in three days.  This one got 12 responses in about 30 minutes  ;)

edit: just noticed you posted this thread in the 'beef' category?!
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Like any other forum, it's not for everyone.  I do think most people are able to find what they need here, if they're willing to look hard enough for it.

People who post threads with questions usually get answers pretty quickly, and more than one.  I think that's probably a lot more helpful and important than just about anything else that goes on here.

On occasion, the quality content is kind of hidden.  For example, right now one of my favorite threads here is the "What are you Chef-ing tonight, Dr?" thread.  There are some great cooks that get posted there.  I am routinely blown away. 

Off topic threads like the one about Woods can get a lot of attention if and when shenanigans come into effect.  Otherwise, many times they just die on the vine. 

The last thing that's probably important to mention is that you can legit make some new friends through this forum, if you want to.  In non-pandemic times people are routinely meeting up at Eggfests and whatnot, and personally I think it is a lot easier for many new people to go to one of those for the first time if they know at least someone on the forum they've interacted with will be there.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    DainW said:
    Not sure I understand what’s going on here? 
    You are not alone my friend. No one understands what is going on here. It is a strange and mysterious place. No rhyme or reason to anything.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,079
    Options
    BGE officially states this:
    "The Only Rules That Matter: 
    Enjoy your visit, keep cooking on your Big Green Egg, and above all, have fun sharing recipes and experiences on the EGGhead Forum. Thanks for visiting."
    From here:
    I see no mention of forks in their rules.   :)

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Enjoy your visit, keep cooking on your Big Green Egg, and above all, have fun sharing recipes and experiences on the EGGhead Forum. Thanks for visiting."
    From here:

so all the other rules the buffalo sneaks in are just enforceable unofficial rules
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    If you want a good answer, then ask a good question - give all the details of your BGE/Cooking question - cover all the variables - time, temp, lump type & volume, vent opening sizes, time of day, windspeed, how much bourbon/beer was in you at that time, all that.  For the most part, people are willing to help you get the most of your BGE, but they gotta know some of this to help!

Share a little of your successes - again, right up the details so other newbies can see how to cook on these things. 

And you could've cooked the most majestic ribeye for the Pope, but no one will believe you without a photo...
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    As far as silverware (especially forks) - it's an etiquette thing. Many people are repulsed by the thought of a tool that's been sloshed arounf inside someone's mouth and then displayed on a plate.

Posting cooks:
    You'll post cooks that get 50 views and 2 comments. You'll post cooks that get hundreds of views and many comments. It's how it goes. Just post cooks you want to post my friend. People will get to know you and make comments. 

OT threads - yes they blow up and get lots of views and comments. Train yourself early. If you don't like those threads just don't read them. Read the threads that interest you and let the rest go.

A few trolls are around. As my momma would say, "They would argue with a post." (fence post)
    Opinions are like anal sphincters - we all have them - and will share them. Over time you'll learn the folks here you want to listen to for advice. Argue if you want, or don't. This is just a BBQ forum on the internet - we ain't changing the world's views on anything.

Above all, have some fun here. Join the Friday night zoom - put some names and faces together. Cook, post, eat, drink, sleep, repeat.
    What other kind of post would you argue with?  Fence posts are ****.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited February 2021
    Options

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    SciAggie said:

Posting cooks:

Not to be confused with forum post, lol. My mom used to say that all the time...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    SciAggie said:

Posting cooks:

Not to be confused with forum post, lol. My mom used to say that all the time...
    My wife tells me I would argue with a brick wall.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    If you want a good answer, then ask a good question - give all the details of your BGE/Cooking question - cover all the variables - time, temp, lump type & volume, vent opening sizes, time of day, windspeed, how much bourbon/beer was in you at that time, all that.  For the most part, people are willing to help you get the most of your BGE, but they gotta know some of this to help!

Share a little of your successes - again, right up the details so other newbies can see how to cook on these things. 

And you could've cooked the most majestic ribeye for the Pope, but no one will believe you without a photo...
    Pope likes New York Strip, fyi.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    the tiger thread got nuked?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Yep.  Can't imagine why, lol
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Yep.  Can't imagine why, lol
    Turns out the Buffalo is a huge Karin Baskin fan.
  • CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Options
    There is a ton of knowledge on the forum, and if you post questions, you will usually get really good responses.  The quantity of cooking posts has gone down over time, but a lot of friendships have been formed here.  Lots of people have met up in person at Eggfests and the like.  Welcome to the group...give it a try.
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    First rule about the forum, we don’t talk about the rules, second rule about the forum, we don’t talk about the rules.....

ahhhhh Friday my old friend.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    From here:

I see no mention of actually posting pix of food.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk