Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Detroit style pizza

Options
Wife went out of town the other day, so I made Duke and I some Detroit style pizza. Used the sauce from Elements of pizza but simmered it awhile to thicken it up. Used the dough from Serious Eats. Boar’s Head pepperoni links sliced up. Didn’t have brick cheese, so 50/50 moss and Monterrey Jack. And Italian sausage. Duke and his friend are weird and requested black olives. 

No idea on carb count, so I threw a sh!t load of insulin at it. Might have been too heavy handed. Ended up needing to eat some cookies to prevent a low. Lol

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It looks mighty fine brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    That looks delicious!  You nailed the crust.  We are big fans of Detroit style. 
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    I can't say that I've ever had Detroit pizza.  Now I know I want some.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I can't say that I've ever had Detroit pizza.  
    I have only had them years ago when working up north. I need to learn to make them.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I regularly use your recipe (and Zippylip’s) for deep dish in the cast iron skillet.  Would you consider that to be similar to this?  The crusty cheese edges are a big selling point. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Growing up in the Detroit area we got that occasionally. Buddy's started it and Buscemi's did a good version too as I recall. The crust is really special. It's thick but not dense. Almost like it's foamy when it bakes. A couple slices and a Stroh's Bohemian on draft was a good lunch (and a precursor to a nap). 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That looks marvelous!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Good lookin' pie! Never had a Detroit style, but want to. Chef John has a nice how-to video, though he admits he's never even been to Detroit. If anyone's interested...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XluCtoad7d4

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited February 2021
    Options
    TV... Check. Warm covers... Check. Pizza to make my life complete... Negative😐

I could put some hurt on that pan. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    great cook!

13x9 pan?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    great cook!

13x9 pan?
    Apparently they're traditionally 10x14, though I don't see why a 9x13 wouldn't work with less dough. And high sides are preferred.

Another informative vid...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2BgkHV373A&t=298s

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• rlew
    rlew Posts: 68
    Options
    Great job, I got introduced to Detroit Style at Brown Dog Pizza in Telluride, CO and I can honestly say ti is my favorite style.
  • SGH
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    The crusty cheese edges are a big selling point. 
    I agree times 1000. 

Status- Standing by.

• Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    I just bought two pans and printed off the serious eats recipe. Going to give this a try. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Moleman said:
    I just bought two pans 
    I have been eyeing these. 

Anyone know are they any good or a gimmic?

Status- Standing by.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    great cook!

13x9 pan?
    10x14 Lloyd's pan. Got it off Amazon. $38.99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FY5PHIK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Can't wait to make it again. If the power ever comes back on in Texas. 

Rowlett, Texas

• Herky
    Herky Posts: 30
    Options
    Good lookin' pie! Never had a Detroit style, but want to. Chef John has a nice how-to video, though he admits he's never even been to Detroit. If anyone's interested...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XluCtoad7d4
    I've made chef John's Detroit pizza many times.  Always turns out great.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    By odd coincidence, I did Detroit pizza the same night as @Griffin .  I was having problems with photos and the mobile browser, so I am a little late to the party.  I think I need to let it cook a little longer to let the crust develop, but this was great.

That’s a lot of tablets you take per day😳😂😂😂
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SGH
    Options
    buzd504 said:

It looks excellent brother 👍

Status- Standing by.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    By odd coincidence, I did Detroit pizza the same night as @Griffin .  I was having problems with photos and the mobile browser, so I am a little late to the party.  I think I need to let it cook a little longer to let the crust develop, but this was great.

That’s a lot of tablets you take per day😳😂😂😂

Lol, those are all vitamins and supplements.  Tumeric, C, D and a few others.
    NOLA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Thanks everyone. Can't wait to make it again. If the power ever comes back on in Texas. 
    It'll be on again soon, and right now Ted Cruz is making Mexico pay for it!   =)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SGH
    Options
    Teefus said:
     The crust is really special. It's thick but not dense. Almost like it's foamy when it bakes. 
    Agree. The Detroit crust is phenomenal. It has quickly became my favorite style of pizza. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Fellows in no way do these compare to what y’all made, but they are pretty good. Picked up 2 Detroit style pizzas from Pizza Hut. A double pepperoni and a triple meat. The double pepperoni is the best. 

Status- Standing by.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Saw someone post this in  a group I follow and thought to share it here - potato Detroit pizza with rosemary, sea salt and aioli.

Some of you would be all over this, I know.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    Options
    potato Detroit pizza with rosemary, sea salt and aioli
    I have no doubt that it’s great. But it would of never crossed my mind to try potatoes on pizza. 

Status- Standing by.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    SGH said:
    But it would of never crossed my mind to try potatoes on pizza. 
    Similarly, I've never understood Irish pierogis; pasta stuffed with potato??

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Sweet Jeebus....

JohnInCarolina said:
    Saw someone post this in  a group I follow and thought to share it here - potato Detroit pizza with rosemary, sea salt and aioli.

Some of you would be all over this, I know.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE