Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A question for @CenTex Smoker

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,463
Quite awhile ago you (I think it was you) made a post about Clean Smoke, and burying our "smoke wood" underneath the lump, so that the "dirty" smoke flowed up thru the hot lump, burned completely, and gave us the same clean smoke that the stick burner setups gave us (being BGEs control the heat via oxygen starvation).  It made a lot of sense, to me, and I've been trying to make this work, for about a year now.
However, I can't.  It always seems that the wood chunk/chips ignites almost immediately, before the lump above it is hot.  This afternoon, that was confirmed in spades. I buried the raw chunk at the bottom of my KAB, completely to one side, and filled the basket to the top, and lit it in the center with the lid open and the bottom vent closed (I was grilling).  Twenty minutes in, I saw glowing coals in the center, but smoke pouring out, above the raw wood to the side; the lump above it was dark.

I cave-manned my meat anyway, we'll see how it comes out tomorrow.  My question is, how exactly do you do this?  I'm thinking the next time I try to smoke something, I'm going to drop the chips/chunk into the bottom, below the KAB; don't see any other way this could work.  
Thoughts?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• Hi Botch!

I just read that the other day but I can’t remember where.  I think he said he dumps a chimney full of fully involved kingsford on top of the lump.  Nothing burns cleaner than kingsford my daddy always said.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    There was some buzz several years ago about modifying a small Dutch oven for a smoke box. 

The basic idea is the smoke can only exit at the bottom. You place it on the burning lump so the smoke is sort of double burned. Note that people suggest fewer holes concentrated in the center. 

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/21417-dutch-oven-smoke-pot/

Seems like a solid idea in theory...just not sure I could sacrifice a $40 Dutch oven to try it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Botch you want to load up your firebox until it’s almost full, then put wood chunks on top.  Then you get a chimney full of lump going strong until it’s red-hot, and when you’re ready to cook you dump that pile into the Egg.  Those red-hot chunks can’t help but ignite the smoke wood, which has no choice but to have its smoke pass through lit lump.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427

This may be the thread you are thinking of? 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1222754/aaron-franklin-masterclass
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    As CenTex hasn't answered yet, I'll chime in.  Here's what he posted on the first page of the thread that is linked above.

"fill your firebox up to the bottom of the ring, add 3-4 wood chunks and then dump a full lit chimney of lump on top of that, get your temp where you want it and cook away. 

The ignited lump purifies the smoke As it passes through and gets as close as an offset /wood burning out as i have found. I can barely tell the difference anymore. Cooked on my kbq last night and couldn’t really tell the difference. Maybe a tiny bit but not enough for most to notice."

I've done this with success a number of times.  I would add 2 comments.

1) I dig a hole in the center of the unlit lump and fill it with the wood chunks - then put the lit chimney of lump on top of it.

2) This seems to really only be for low/slow cooks.  At least that was my interpretation.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• I don't use smoking wood that much but I always buried it under 4 or so inches of lump and lit the top of the lump in 3 or so places. Seemed to work for me but maybe my palate isn't refined.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    edited February 2021
    There was some buzz several years ago about modifying a small Dutch oven for a smoke box. 

The basic idea is the smoke can only exit at the bottom. You place it on the burning lump so the smoke is sort of double burned. Note t, hat people suggest fewer holes concentrated in the center. 

Seems like a solid idea in theory...just not sure I could sacrifice a $40 Dutch oven to try it. 
    I was searching for ^^^, thanks. I have an old enameled dutch oven with chipped/cracked bottom, saved it for this experiment. Also wondering about this ... since the wood chunks will be in limited oxygen environment, will they turn into charcoal at the end of a low and slow?

edit: looks like my old DO is way too big, have to find something smaller.

canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    So if 3 or 4 chunks of wood provides the equivalent smoke flavor of dozens of wood splits burning over many hours why bother doing the latter?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG said:
    So if 3 or 4 chunks of wood provides the equivalent smoke flavor of dozens of wood splits burning over many hours why bother doing the latter?
    Sometimes the journey is more important than the destination, HeavyGson.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    HeavyG said:
    It doesn't
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282

The basic idea is the smoke can only exit at the bottom. You place it on the burning lump so the smoke is sort of double burned. Note t, hat people suggest fewer holes concentrated in the center. 

I was searching for ^^^, thanks. I have an old enameled dutch oven with chipped/cracked bottom, saved it for this experiment. Also wondering about this ... since the wood chunks will be in limited oxygen environment, will they turn into charcoal at the end of a low and slow?

edit: looks like my old DO is way too big, have to find something smaller.

I bought a cheap 1qt DO on Amazon and tried the "smoke pot" approach outlined in that linked thread in my large.  It worked pretty well at producing clean (thin blue) smoke, and the chunks / chips did end up charcoal-like; I would dump them into the egg for the next cook.   I use a spider and stone for indirect cooks in that egg, and the DO limited the amount of lump I could load up, even placing the DO directly on the fire grate.  I also needed to light charcoal on a couple of sides of the DO to get a reasonable amount of smoke.  I stopped using the DO as the benefit wasn't that much greater than just peppering chunks in with the lump. 
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    lkapigian said:
    HeavyG said:
    It doesn't
    And I don't think anyone ever said that it does.  This is just a very good way to get close to that on a kamado.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Foghorn said:
    lkapigian said:
    HeavyG said:
    It doesn't
    And I don't think anyone ever said that it does.  This is just a very good way to get close to that on a kamado.
    no doubt, I find I do have better results with chunks from my wood pile VS the store bought lin dried, but all good ..I'm in the bury mine in just below the surface and dump a lit chimney on that 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    @MO_Eggin thanks for the intel.
    canuckland
  • DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    edited February 2021
    This is all very interesting and am intrigued to try this on my next brisket cook. I went back and reread the original thread, and am curious about the set up. From what I read you either 1) bury the wood chunks at the bottom cover with more lump and then dump hot lump on top from a chimney starter or you 2) make a small pile of wood with some lump around and then dump hot lump on top right?

Here’s my question, if using the first method, how do you ensure that the wood at the bottom ignites? In my large egg, I find that I have to start a very small fire in order to maintain 250 degrees. I can hold the temps just fine, but what I find is that even after 12 hours of “smoking,” very little of the fuel is used up, maybe 1/3. If using the second method, it seems as if you would get clean smoke at first, but what happens when the original lump from the starter burns off? Would you continue to get clean smoke?

For what it’s worth, I’ve had success mixing the wood chunks with the lump in about a 1:2 ratio of wood to lump. This creates a lot of smoke at first, but if you wait long enough, the dirty smoke burns off and the egg eventually settles with thin blue smoke at which point I put the meat on the grill. This requires planning ahead and in some cases lighting the first two or more hours before I plan to start the cook. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    DainW said:
    This is all very interesting and am intrigued to try this on my next brisket cook. I went back and reread the original thread, and am curious about the set up. From what I read you either 1) bury the wood chunks at the bottom cover with more lump and then dump hot lump on top from a chimney starter or you 2) make a small pile of wood with some lump around and then dump hot lump on top right?

Here’s my question, if using the first method, how do you ensure that the wood at the bottom ignites? In my large egg, I find that I have to start a very small fire in order to maintain 250 degrees. I can hold the temps just fine, but what I find is that even after 12 hours of “smoking,” very little of the fuel is used up, maybe 1/3. If using the second method, it seems as if you would get clean smoke at first, but what happens when the original lump from the starter burns off? Would you continue to get clean smoke?

For what it’s worth, I’ve had success mixing the wood chunks with the lump in about a 1:2 ratio of wood to lump. This creates a lot of smoke at first, but if you wait long enough, the dirty smoke burns off and the egg eventually settles with thin blue smoke at which point I put the meat on the grill. This requires planning ahead and in some cases lighting the first two or more hours before I plan to start the cook. 

I stir the lump, then push all of the burned lump to the back, exposing the fire grate.  Then I put my chunks on the exposed fire grate - usually 3-6 pieces, depending on what I'm doing.  I try to spread them around as best I can and then pour new lump and fill the egg.  I light the top with a torch.  I find the fire tends to work it's way downward towards the oxygen source, so by the time it's established, it's towards the wood.  I've never had a problem with it catching at some point.
    NOLA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Foghorn said:
    lkapigian said:
    HeavyG said:
    It doesn't

I believe you were quoting or paraphrasing Centex:

The ignited lump purifies the smoke As it passes through and gets as close as an offset /wood burning out as i have found. I can barely tell the difference anymore. Cooked on my kbq last night and couldn’t really tell the difference. Maybe a tiny bit but not enough for most to notice."

I'll be the first to concede that my pallette is nowhere near as fine tuned as that of many others. My impression tho is that Centex knows whereof he speaks and if he has trouble discerning a difference then he is right - most of us couldn't tell the difference.
    Which begs the question - if a technique on a kamado yields essentially the same results (as judged by the masses) as a stick burner is a stick burner still credibly the superior tool?
    I think a lot of blind taste testing is in order. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    You all are terrible at instructions.  This was a question only for @CenTex Smoker.  Please be better forum friends.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    If/when we ever have another in-person GTG, it might be illuminating to have a mass blind-tasting of briskets from an Egg, vs a stick burner.  Or even, briskets with a wide smoke ring, vs briskies with none.  
    I've not read, yet, a convincing argument of which is better, nor even an explanation of what causes a smoke ring (sometimes I get one, sometimes I get a thick one (heh), and sometimes nothing,  No idea why.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    edited February 2021
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Botch said:
    If/when we ever have another in-person GTG, it might be illuminating to have a mass blind-tasting of briskets from an Egg, vs a stick burner.  Or even, briskets with a wide smoke ring, vs briskies with none.  
    I've not read, yet, a convincing argument of which is better, nor even an explanation of what causes a smoke ring (sometimes I get one, sometimes I get a thick one (heh), and sometimes nothing,  No idea why.  
    You just described Brisket Camp

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Botch said:
    Sounds like a Butt Blast or Brisket Camp challenge off....... I mean after this Covid chit.  
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Botch said:
    A good smoke ring, in my opinion, is similar to nice wide char marks made from cast iron grids, they are pretty.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Lack of smoke ring is why I quit dating 10 years ago.
  • Foghorn said:
    As CenTex hasn't answered yet, I'll chime in.  Here's what he posted on the first page of the thread that is linked above.

"fill your firebox up to the bottom of the ring, add 3-4 wood chunks and then dump a full lit chimney of lump on top of that, get your temp where you want it and cook away. 

I've done this with success a number of times.  I would add 2 comments.

1) I dig a hole in the center of the unlit lump and fill it with the wood chunks - then put the lit chimney of lump on top of it.

2) This seems to really only be for low/slow cooks.  At least that was my interpretation.

sorry botch- been taking a little break from the interwebz lately and just heard about this from a little birdie.

This is the way I do it. I do just use it for low and slow but should work on hot fast too (you won't see any smoke on hot fast but it's there). I would add a few more chunks and bury them a little deeper if you are going to run a hot fire. Harry Soo has some good videos on youtube about this technique. He basically puts the wood at the very bottom of his firebox, pours lump on top of that and runs a 350 degree fire in his WSM's or ceramic cookers to cook competition bbq. I don't like cooking that hot so I brought the wood chunks up a little higher in the box and cook at like 250-275. Seems to clean up the smoke quite a bit.

If I read your post right, it sounds like you are lighting the lump in the egg and then dumping more ignited lump on top of that. You don't light the egg first. Bury the wood (I use chunks for this) under a little unlit lump and dump the screaming hot lump from the chimney on top off that to light the egg and provide the layer of hot lump that the smoke must now pass through to get up and out.

It does not provide the same clean blue smoke as a fully oxygenated wood fire will but it's as close as you can get with a choked down lump fire.

I'll shoot a video of it some day when I'm doing bbq again (it's been forever) and post it on here.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Botch
    edited February 2021
    thanks, @The Cen-Tex; no problem that you've been off-line for a bit, you're probably healthier for it.  

No, I'm not dumping lit lump on my unburned lump; I just buried one chunk of wood over to the side of my existing lump, poured fresh lump on top and leveled it, and then lit it in the center with a single paraffin-square thingie; twenty minutes later, I had a red spot in the center of my lump, and thick smoke boiling out from under the unlit lump to the side where the smokewood was; it just catches fire at a lower temp than the lump.  

I'm still planning to drop the next chunk of smokewood down to the bottom, below my KAB, and light up top in the center, again.  I'm betting once the smokewood catches fire, there will be some lit lump directly above it, and I'll get the best result an Egg is capable of.  

But, I have enough leftover Birria Taco beef to keep me in leftovers, I'm guessing, until mid-March  :s so it may be awhile... 

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Ive been waiting for this - thanks.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”