Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pandemic updates 2.0

Options

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    One of my daughters tested positive last week (tested on 23rd). Totally asymptomatic. Crazy thing is she and other daughter have been sharing a bed for the week prior to diagnosis but other daughter and rest of us have all remained negative. My original thought was it had to be a false positive but every healthcare provider I've consulted and all literature I've read says that with the PCR test if it came back positive then she's positive. 
    Against my better judgment we did go to my parents house on Christmas to open gifts with them and my sister-in-law and nephews (before test results came back) but all stayed masked and distanced for the duration - 2hrs. No one ate or drank anything while there. My folks wanted to have a meal but my wife and I had said it was too risky.....glad we did. Everyone has been tested since and all negative.
    It amazes me how many people continue to go and do without masks. It's such a simple way to decrease the spread. We are proof that they work. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,576
    Options
    @GATraveller thanks for sharing and reminding us not to let our guards down. Glad no one else in your family got it, wishing your daughter speedy recovery. 
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,489
    Options
    Local TV news anchor needs back surgery.  Pre surgery covid test positive.  No symptoms at all-continues daily self isolated work outs, waits the 10 days and then gets another test.  Yup-positive again.  Same drill but trying to figure out how to get out of the "do-loop" as, in addition to trying to get the surgery, he can't go back to work til he has a negative test. 
    Classic asymptomatic-BTW he has completed 12 Ironman competitions (including the past 8 years-til 2020's was cancelled) and is 60 years old. 
    What a trick-sack to be in.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    @GATraveller thanks for sharing and reminding us not to let our guards down. Glad no one else in your family got it, wishing your daughter speedy recovery. 
    Thanks for the well wishes. All latest test have come back negative. We are all clear! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,362
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,513
    Options
    Things are getting so bad in LA County that first responders are being told not to send the worse-off to the hospitals, the folks who "may not" make it:  
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...7e8a0d54bc95ab/24/68/5ff494a49d2fda0efba09843
    Not only is that heartbreaking, but how is this going to work? Some poor young person with an EMT education is going to have to make a decision, and then say, "I'm sorry Mrs. Jones, but your father probably isn't going to make it, so we won't be taking him to the hospital." ???
    This is going to get ugly.   :s 

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,820
    Options
    Botch said:
    Things are getting so bad in LA County that first responders are being told not to send the worse-off to the hospitals, the folks who "may not" make it:  
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...7e8a0d54bc95ab/24/68/5ff494a49d2fda0efba09843
    Not only is that heartbreaking, but how is this going to work? Some poor young person with an EMT education is going to have to make a decision, and then say, "I'm sorry Mrs. Jones, but your father probably isn't going to make it, so we won't be taking him to the hospital." ???
    This is going to get ugly.   :s 

sounds like a death panel to me....welcome to america
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    its turning into a wildfire here. couple weeks ago the business next to me had covid workers on the job, they needed them to get the plow trucks ready for the first snow storm. they wanted help loading sanders on the trucks. i said no, locked the doors, put up mask signs and the telephone numbers on the front door. they hired a heroine addict that sleeps under a bucket loader next shop over. he gets it,knows it and still gives it to the mechanic shop up the street, gives it to his dad, gives it to a guy that feels sorry for him and feeds him, the guys wife, mother, brother and probably everyone he shoots up with out on the streets and maybe dozens that dont even know they are walking around with it. its all my fault for not sending a fork truck and operator over when the first guy had it. im thinking we are now in the calm before the storm, here we go 2021
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,362
    edited January 2021
    Options
    What an utterly immoral and inhumane position to take.
    I'm assuming he considers himself a good Christian and believes in hell - I imagine he'll personally be finding out some day.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Lost in the news from the Capitol yesterday is that it also happened to be a new high in covid-19 deaths in the US.  We had nearly 4,000 people die from the pandemic yesterday.  Unfortunately it seems likely that the numbers are going to continue to rise for a while before things begin to calm down a bit.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Lost in the news from the Capitol yesterday is that it also happened to be a new high in covid-19 deaths in the US.  We had nearly 4,000 people die from the pandemic yesterday.  Unfortunately it seems likely that the numbers are going to continue to rise for a while before things begin to calm down a bit.

big death spike in a few weeks from the holiday covid gatherings, then a constant rise from a lack of hospital rooms. the spikes we are seeing now in deaths may be from tday
    fukahwee maine

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,859
    Options
    Yep.  We're popping our 2nd accessory COVID ICU tomorrow and looking for space for a 3rd one in a week or two.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Yep.  We're popping our 2nd accessory COVID ICU tomorrow and looking for space for a 3rd one in a week or two.
    Hopefully the vaccinations start making a dent in all of this.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,859
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Vaccinations are not rolling out at a rate that is likely to impact anything that goes on this winter.  We may be in reasonable shape by next winter - IF 80+ percent get vaccinated and IF the vaccines work against the new strains of the virus.  Those are 2 big IFs.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:
    Vaccinations are not rolling out at a rate that is likely to impact anything that goes on this winter.  We may be in reasonable shape by next winter - IF 80+ percent get vaccinated and IF the vaccines work against the new strains of the virus.  Those are 2 big IFs.
    I think the real concern with the new strain is more the uptick in transmission.  If we follow the way it trended in the UK, things could end up looking quite a bit worse in March.  Crazy to think about given how bad it is now.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    The rural west central GA town my MIL lives in is now beginning to see a spike in #'s which is quite worrisome. Not only is there a large elderly population but people have really discounted the virus and its effects until now. There are very few hospital beds and little to no resources for treatment. The vaccine is just starting to roll out but in very limited #'s. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    grand uncle was just sent into boston for heart surgery, va has been putting this off because of the covid but if they sent him there it doesnt look good to me or even just routine any more
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,325
    Options
    I just received an email from my health care provider. They expect vaccine in two week and will notify us as we become eligible.
  • fishlessman
    Options

while im for this have our scientists and fda gotten on board, most of what ive seen is from other countries
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

while im for this have our scientists and fda gotten on board, most of what ive seen is from other countries
    My understanding fish is that, at least when it comes to the pandemic, the incoming administration has been able to communicate and work with people like Fauci on the current task force.  All of that is a long way of saying that I have to imagine they're on board with this.  Biden appears to have very good people advising him on this subject, and he tends to listen to the experts.  
  • fishlessman
    Options

My understanding fish is that, at least when it comes to the pandemic, the incoming administration has been able to communicate and work with people like Fauci on the current task force.  All of that is a long way of saying that I have to imagine they're on board with this.  Biden appears to have very good people advising him on this subject, and he tends to listen to the experts.  

just wondering how much momentum is there, was just looking at the fda guidance and it looks like they gave a 4 day extension between shots for moderna which seems limited and intentional
    fukahwee maine

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Reading the EUA For An Unapproved Product Review Memorandum for Moderna, on page 45, the section titled Non-fatal Serious Adverse Events lists facial swelling in two female participants believed to be a result of having "dermal filler cosmetic injection" prior to the study. Make of that what you will.

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,489
    Options
    Queen of England and Prince Philip received the vaccine today.  FYI-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I just got off of the phone. This coming Wednesday I take my 90 and 86 year old parents to their doctors clinic for the Moderna vaccination. They are scheduled 5 minutes apart so that gives an idea about the number of vaccinations that the clinic plans. 
    That is great news.  I hope my parents stay safe until we find out when we can take them. I pray to God it is soon. Congratulations to both you and them. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,576
    Options
    What a shame that pandemic is on the back burner, thanks to #CoupKluxKlan
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I just also received the news that my parents will be vaccinated this Thursday.  Both are in their 70's with some additional risk factors, so this is a relief.  
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,325
    Options
    Yep my folks definitely have risk factors between the two of them including a pacemaker, high blood pressure, and diabetes. Their vision isn't the best either.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    grand uncle was just sent into boston for heart surgery, va has been putting this off because of the covid but if they sent him there it doesnt look good to me or even just routine any more

looks like it was more a problem finding him a bed, triple bypass, so far so good.

fukahwee maine