Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Doing Right Now? (non OT version)

Options

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Yesterday I browned up a pound of ground pork, with garlic, ginger, shaoshing wine and soy sauce, as the topping for my continuing experiments in szechuan noodles. Today, I decided I'm tired of noodles, and then saw the Skyline thread, it was 18º this morning, and...

Started out with a tablespoon of bacon fat in my DO. Sautèed half a minced onion, two garlic cloves, dumped in a can of fire-roasted tomatoes, a can of cheekun broth, and 3/4 lb of my szechuan pork. Seasoned with salt, black pepper, cayenne, Tabasco, cumin, and oregano (real seat-of-the-pants cooking here). After an hour of simmering I added a can of pinto beans.
    And dang, if this isn't some of the best chili I've had in a long, long time. Sourdough toast and a Grillo's pickle made a perfect lunch, with leftovers for two more meals.   :) 

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Debating what will be the next Egged item. Seeing as it's Wednesday I guess I will see what's on special at the grocery store in an hour. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Gulfcoastguy - Today is National Bacon Day should that play into the cook plans.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Gulfcoastguy - Today is National Bacon Day should that play into the cook plans.  
    Unfortunately my Doctor would hire thugs to give me a beat down if she knew that I was smoking pork belly. She has approved : chicken, turkey, fish, shrimp, pork tenderloin, pork loin. The leaner cuts of beef once every one to two weeks. She is correct that if I have too much saturated fat at a time my liver aches.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Rubbing down a SRF Black Grade 12.5#’er in anticipation of tomorrow’s end of year smoke 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    @Botch sounds great but no picture?  ;)
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Wolfpack @lkapigian Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate it. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited December 2020
    Options

Costco prime brisket overnight last night to make a double batch of the Salado award winning brisket chili.  I believe @EggObsessed gets the credit for this recipe.  Will let flavors (or flavours for my Canadian friends) meld overnight in fridge before bringing up to temp again for NYE.

My wonderful wife prepped everything except the brisket for the chili.  The instant pot was called into action to make beef broth.  

Edit:  this prime packer from Costco cooked crazy fast.  17lbs maybe 16 after trimming.  250 dome... yes calibrated. I monitored grate temp with the thermo works smoke.   Grate temp never varied more than 15 degrees from dome temp.  13 hours.  Victory declared when most of the brisket was in 185-195 range.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Chicken thighs for the next Egging though the pork belly tempted me.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @kl8ton - Keep cranking out briskets and you find some that are really fast...I have had 11 lb ones cook in 6.5 hours-temp 250-270*F on the yes, calibrated dome.  Just had a 9.5 lb one from Porter Road take 12 hrs, same temp range.
    For sure "the friggin cow drives the cook".  
    Happy New Year.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Costco prime brisket overnight last night to make a double batch of the Salado award winning brisket chili.  I believe @EggObsessed gets the credit for this recipe.  Will let flavors (or flavours for my Canadian friends) meld overnight in fridge before bringing up to temp again for NYE.

My wonderful wife prepped everything except the brisket for the chili.  The instant pot was called into action to make beef broth.  

Edit:  this prime packer from Costco cooked crazy fast.  17lbs maybe 16 after trimming.  250 dome... yes calibrated. I monitored grate temp with the thermo works smoke.   Grate temp never varied more than 15 degrees from dome temp.  13 hours.  Victory declared when most of the brisket was in 185-195 range.  
    Looks good and bonus points for being canuck friendly... oh wait, what's 17lbs in kgs and 250 in C, jk
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Fabricated a portable holder with pins storage for wire bending jig, from scrap wood and velcro.

canuckland
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    edited December 2020
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Foghorn - gotta admit that when I saw ribeyes and tacos I was a bit concerned.  But you and your daughter did 'em proud.  Killer tacos right there.  Congrats.
    @lousubcap, it's better to be lucky than good.  Fiddling around with my skewers for the first time by using them on the highest quality meat I've ever cooked is probably not a great idea in general.  The meat started out twice as thick - as 2 small roasts.  Then we fell behind on the food prep so I decided to slice them in half since we didn't have as much time for marinating or cooking as I was hoping...

Still, I've learned a lot of important principles from the good people here like yourself and as long as I stick to them I usually get good results.

So, I don't think of ribeyes as being taco meat, but I'll go on record as saying that in this case, the wagyu/angus ribeye meat elevated the tacos to the new level.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Taco meat is meat on a Taco.

--everyone
    Options
    Deal alert:

Password manager, lifetime license.  Normally $190.  If this deal is still good it should be $30.  I bought the license earlier today.

You will thank me for the rest of your life...or until the day of the giant EMP.

edited December 2020
    Options
    Deal alert:

Password manager, lifetime license.  Normally $190.  If this deal is still good it should be $30.  I bought the license earlier today.

You will thank me for the rest of your life...or until the day of the giant EMP.

Not having consulted the link but simply making the lazy and dangerous assumption that this is a run of the mill password manager, what happens if they have a breach? I’ve spent a number of years working in data breaches, so call me a cynic. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Deal alert:

Not having consulted the link but simply making the lazy and dangerous assumption that this is a password manager, what happens if they have a breach? I’ve spent a number of years working in data breaches, so call me a cynic. 

They do not store the master password.  So nothing.

thumbsgfycatcomImpoliteSlowHydra-smallgif

I would urge anyone to read up on it before buying.  However, probably the smartest person I know, both a friend and a colleague, has been using it for years and he's the one that turned me on to the deal.

Deal alert:

Not having consulted the link but simply making the lazy and dangerous assumption that this is a password manager, what happens if they have a breach? I’ve spent a number of years working in data breaches, so call me a cynic. 

They do not store the master password.  So nothing.

thumbsgfycatcomImpoliteSlowHydra-smallgif

I would urge anyone to read up on it before buying.  However, probably the smartest person I know, both a friend and a colleague, has been using it for years and he's the one that turned me on to the deal.

Is that Kevin Spacey? Not sure he’s in such a good space to be ruling right now. 

Will check this out. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    That is Kevin Spacey, and yes I knew the story but still had zero f*cks to give.

(all in good fun, my Canadian friend)
    That is Kevin Spacey, and yes I knew the story but still had zero f*cks to give.

(all in good fun, my Canadian friend)
    Just yanking your chain, my New Orleansean compatriot. 😃
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Wondering.  Wondering why is it when you put objects on your cat, the cat doesn't seem to give a f*ck?  (since we're talking about not giving a f*ck).

Any animal psychiatrists out there?
    Options
    Who gives a f*ck?   ;)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    edited December 2020
    Options
    So singularly engaged in plotting their revenge they don't show outward signs of irritation?  Just guessing here, no psych creds, animal or otherwise.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Wondering.  Wondering why is it when you put objects on your cat, the cat doesn't seem to give a f*ck?  (since we're talking about not giving a f*ck).

Any animal psychiatrists out there?
    I tied a bow on the big Mainecoons tail. Never fazed him. Cats are actually aliens.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Cats are patient. They know that their 9th life will consist of wielding pitchforks for their true master in h$ll. Revenge will ultimately be theirs.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options

Spent way too much time drilling 6 holes in 1/4" porcelain tile. Tile is about 14 years old and hard.

Grateful I didn't shatter the tiles when I drilled to two left holes near the edge.

Used a Dremel diamond bit to finally power thru the two outside holes after my 3/16" drill bits gave up. 

All six screws in the only wood stud that was near where SWAMBO wanted a grab bar.

18" grab bar for original master bathroom. High enough from the floor that it won't be an ankle knocker and easily reachable from the toilet to assist in getting up ... if we need it later. Next up will be a grab bar for our shower in the new master suite. That one will need caulk under the escutcheon.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Deal alert:

Debating @nolaegghead

After the latest W10 update,  chrome and edge are not remembering any login credentials and is driving me nuts. I've tried several remedies found on various websites... no go. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Test your knowledge of weird stuff.  What is this?