Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vaccine Today, here we go!

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    The problem is that we need to vaccinate at least 250 million people. Giving shots is trailing actual vaccinations pretty badly so far.
    Giving shots trailing actual vaccinations ?  I don’t understand.
  • Legume said:
    The problem is that we need to vaccinate at least 250 million people. Giving shots is trailing actual vaccinations pretty badly so far.
    Let me rephrase. They are using vaccine at a fraction of the rate that Pfizer and Moderna are supplying it. In an earlier reply Blind99 said that 2 million injections have been given. At least 15 million doses have been delivered to the people who are supposed to give the shots. 
  • Legume
    Legume said:
    Let me rephrase. They are using vaccine at a fraction of the rate that Pfizer and Moderna are supplying it. In an earlier reply Blind99 said that 2 million injections have been given. At least 15 million doses have been delivered to the people who are supposed to give the shots. 
    Ah, makes sense now.  Hopefully this picks up.  I believe the federal machinery only takes it as far as the state, so it’s all state by state.  I wonder if some are more organized in initial roll out than others. 
  • My neighbors only Christmas decoration.
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Pfizer has a hand in it's delivery, whereas Moderna let the feds take it from the factory. More to the point, there is no reason why we couldn't have had the production facilities in place to hit the ground running with 100's of millions of doses on the day of approval. Our leaders seem to prefer us to have to wait, though.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I hope that if systems show they can give vaccinations they will be given more doses. I’m lucky to work at a very well run system. It may sound corny, but the doctors figure out what needs to be done and the administrators figure out how to make it happen. We gave 5,000 doses in a few days. I talked to a friend who works in a system over twice the size as ours and they had only given 1,000. 

Honestly I’d consider handing this kind of thing over to someone like McDonalds. This is a lot of logistics and a little medicine. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Legume
    blind99 said:
    I hope that if systems show they can give vaccinations they will be given more doses. I’m lucky to work at a very well run system. It may sound corny, but the doctors figure out what needs to be done and the administrators figure out how to make it happen. We gave 5,000 doses in a few days. I talked to a friend who works in a system over twice the size as ours and they had only given 1,000. 

Honestly I’d consider handing this kind of thing over to someone like McDonalds. This is a lot of logistics and a little medicine. 
    Agree.  Would’ve been great if they could’ve nationalized more of this or to have the states take a mass vaccine approach like in UK - stadiums, etc., There is still opportunity to do so when prioritization opens up to more of the general population and manufacturing hits it’s stride.

Kayak said:
    Pfizer has a hand in it's delivery, whereas Moderna let the feds take it from the factory. More to the point, there is no reason why we couldn't have had the production facilities in place to hit the ground running with 100's of millions of doses on the day of approval. Our leaders seem to prefer us to have to wait, though.
    Not sure about all this, and fwiw, nothing has been approved, they have only received emergency use authorizations.  <12 months from sequence to successful phase III results which includes all of the formulation work and scale up.
  • Turn it over to Walgreens, CVS, and one or two more. Give them $20 a shot to give it and step back. Walgreens will hire bounty hunters and hand them tranquilizer guns.
  • Btw, at a million a week it will take 5 years to vaccinate all.
  • Kayak
    Just as a thought experiment, imagine starting mass production of every vaccine that entered Phase 3 trials. If we produce 200 million worthless vaccinations, costing roughly $800 million, we've still spent less than the cost of the business lunch deduction in the recent Relief Bill ($5 billion).

Bob

New Cumberland, PA

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Tangentially related - to put your mind around 1 Billion units; if, when you were born you could count in one second intervals you would be around 31.67 years old once getting there. 
    So most of us are on the planet for 2B+ seconds.  Obviously when getting to trillions just add the zeros.  FWIW-  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    lousubcap said:
    Tangentially related - to put your mind around 1 Billion units; if, when you were born you could count in one second intervals you would be around 31.67 years old once getting there. 
    So most of us are on the planet for 2B+ seconds.  Obviously when getting to trillions just add the zeros.  FWIW-  B)
    And for comparison - one million seconds is approx 11 days.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Kayak
    lousubcap said:
    There you have it. Genuine frontier gibberish.

Just kidding, Cap.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA

• blind99
    lousubcap said:
    Frank, can we take a break from counting while we cook brisket?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @blind99 - You have super powers as there will be pics to follow in the active WAYDRN thread.  Cooking my first Porter Road (home of great beef ribs) brisket.  The frigging cow is messing with me but no time or delivery commitments so just pounding adult supervisory beverages and waiting for the finish.  Given the hour the FTC will regrettably be minimal-but such is the run-up to the close of this year.
    Be well! 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    FTC is something Army people do.  Just cool it down and eat it!
    lousubcap said:
    When I was in (middle? high?) school my Dad loaded Mom, me and my sister into the car, to drive us into town to See Something Special.  We parked in the lot of one of the fanciest (for Sioux Falls) hotels, walked into the lobby, and...

There.  They.  Were!!!     :o     :o     :o  

Fourteen or fifteen trash cans.  Filled with exactly one million bottle caps!!  We were in awe, jaws slack.  I could feel the hairs on my arms raise.  (my sister claimed I wet myself too, but I didn't).   So stunning.  

There wasn't a lot of completely free entertainment available in South Dakota in the mid-seventies, but Dad could find it.  :lol:  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Botch said:
    lousubcap said:
    When I was in (middle? high?) school my Dad loaded Mom, me and my sister into the car, to drive us into town to See Something Special.  We parked in the lot of one of the fanciest (for Sioux Falls) hotels, walked into the lobby, and...

Fourteen or fifteen trash cans.  Filled with exactly one million bottle caps!!  We were in awe, jaws slack.  I could feel the hairs on my arms raise.  (my sister claimed I wet myself too, but I didn't).   So stunning.  

There wasn't a lot of completely free entertainment available in South Dakota in the mid-seventies, but Dad could find it.  :lol:  

What are the odds of there actually being one million bottle caps in those cans at the time?
    Would you have felt cheated if a later audit revealed there were actually only 999,991? :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blind99
    @lousubcap looking forward to it !
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    HeavyG said:
    What are the odds of there actually being one million bottle caps in those cans at the time?
    Slightly higher than the odds any spoiler-sport challenging the claim, and counting them to prove himself right.  :tongue:     

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    lousubcap said:

Would you have felt cheated if a later audit revealed there were actually only 999,991? :)
    Recount!
    canuckland
  • blind99 said:

Can you imagine if we pulled off a mass innoculation campaign to rid the world of a highly contagious respiratory virus?  Oh wait, we've been doing that with measles for the past 60 years.  
    This. Measles is probably the most contagious significant virus man has ever seen and we were able to contain it and make it almost irrelevant. Interestingly, it's genetic makeup is similar to SARS-Cov2 in that they are both single stranded RNA viruses. We can do this, AGAIN. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • Hard to believe they’re not hitting the vaccination targets they set for themselves, what with everything else in this administration over the past four years looking like the epitome of competence and professionalism.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The feds investigating the hospital that blind99 mentioned, the one that did only 1000 vaccinations despite being twice the size of his that did 5000, is worth doing. But the government doesn’t seem able to mandate competence. 
    I’ll say it again, turn Walgreens, CVS, and a few others loose with vaccines and a fixed price bounty per head, ur arm, and see what happens. They can definitely run through the nursing homes. Then start with their own customers first at 75 and up then 65 and up. A million shots a week the way that hospitals are doing it means 5 years to vaccinate everybody.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Hard to believe they’re not hitting the vaccination targets they set for themselves, what with everything else in this administration over the past four years looking like the epitome of competence and professionalism.
    I agree the vaccination rate is disappointing. But what would you do to improve it?

That’s a serious question, not an antagonistic one. 

Don
    New Orleans LA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    hard to believe that ny allowing line skipping wasnt legal
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dondgc said:
    Hard to believe they’re not hitting the vaccination targets they set for themselves, what with everything else in this administration over the past four years looking like the epitome of competence and professionalism.
    I agree the vaccination rate is disappointing. But what would you do to improve it?

That’s a serious question, not an antagonistic one. 

Don
    Distribution was left entirely to the states, no direction from the federal government. 

Funding requested earlier in the year was something like $84b to have the infrastructure (storage and distribution systems) in place when the vaccine was ready. 

That was not provided until the most recent budget bill. Meaning: those distribution systems don’t exist yet
  • The feds investigating the hospital that blind99 mentioned, the one that did only 1000 vaccinations despite being twice the size of his that did 5000, is worth doing. But the government doesn’t seem able to mandate competence. 
    I’ll say it again, turn Walgreens, CVS, and a few others loose with vaccines and a fixed price bounty per head, ur arm, and see what happens. They can definitely run through the nursing homes. Then start with their own customers first at 75 and up then 65 and up. A million shots a week the way that hospitals are doing it means 5 years to vaccinate everybody.
    I don't think you need to mandate competence to hit your own targets.  These are targets they established for themselves, ostensibly based on some understanding of how this all works.  You either have an understanding of distribution and some of the technical issues that might slow things down, or... you don't.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike